1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Yep Gassiev is one class act. He went into the series as the number 2 seed behind Usyk, but ahead of Briedis and Dorticos. At just 24, Gasiev has a wonderful career in front of him. Even if he loses the series and winds up without a belt, he'll soon get one again when the sanctioning bodies start stripping belts.

The Gassiev - Dorticos bout I think will be a cracker, and I wouldn't be writing off the big Cuban as an easy victim. He has amazing power. These two fighters have different strengths. Gassiev I think is the better boxer, his feints and skills are probably better than those of Dorticos, but the latter has an iron chin and and is more elusive. He also has a 4 inch reach advantage. And he bangs. Kos in the Cuban's ledger are better, 95% to 69%. But before we get to this mouth watering event, we have Usyk - Briedis to enjoy.

Betting has Gassiev at 1.46 and Dorticos at 2.40.

I can't believe how little attention this series gets in the media. It's by far the most hotly contested division in the sport. We've waited forever to get Joshua and Parker in the ring, and Wilder while gobbing off a lot, shows no sign of rushing into a unification bout. Yet in the Cruisers, we have all four champions clashing in a knock out contest. Brilliant.

2. Cyclonic

In the quarters of this series, Yunier Dorticos smashed Dmitry Kudryashov, (a man who'd won all 21 of his fights by ko) in two rounds. Before that, Dorticos fought a hellish bout against a gentleman called Youri Kalenga. It was brutal. Some of the slow motion replays were ferocious. The jarring from some of the head blows was shocking. I guess this fight epitomizes why some folk think boxing should be banned.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  3. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

It always seems to have been somewhat of an unheralded division. I think because it's always been just below the so called glamour division which is ridiculous when you think of how many great cruiserweight there have been.

Talking about this tournament specifically though it doesn't seem to have been particularly well promoted. We've had some great match ups in both the cruiser and super middleweights yet no one seems aware that it's even going on. Both cruiserweight fights are been shown for free over here which says it all really.

My opinion for what it's worth is that Usyk is going to take some stopping and will come out overall winner. And let me just float the idea of an Usyk/Ward fight out there what a boxing showcase that would be.

Cyclonic likes this.
  4. Cyclonic

Usky v Briedis. Didn't live up to the hype me thinks.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hmm. Disappointing - apart from the girls at the end

6. Cyclonic

This Saturday in Sochi, the second semi final of the World Boxing Super Series Cruiserweight competition will take place. On the line this time will be the Murat Gassiev's IBF Title and Yunier Dorticos' WBA Title. Gassiev 24 while Dorticos is 31. Both men have not been defeated. While both men are the same height, Dorticos holds a 4 inch advantage. The Russian looks the better boxer though, while the Cuban seems to have the better power. Dorticos has won 21 of his 22 bouts by stoppage and has stated. "Of course, as always, I prepared an atomic bomb for Gassiev. And we will see whether or not he will be ready to receive this bomb. And I have the same prescription for him - a good painkiller." The Russian is a class act though, so hopefully it'll be one hell of a bout.

4-7 Gassiev.

7-4 Dorticos.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  7. Cyclonic

Do you have an opinion on the Okolie - Chamberlain fight Smoke? Oddschecker have Okolie at 4-7 and Chamberlain at 23-15. Okolie has the amateur pedigree and a reach advantage, so I suppose that helps. He's also rangy and awkward. But I like the look of Chamberlain. I think he's a live chance.

8. smokethedeadbadger

If I being honest mate I can't really call it either way and thought they'd actually be closer in the betting. Its another one of them that on paper should be a cracker. I'd say Chamberlain has just about fought better opposition overall and gun to my head I'd side with him but luckily no one is holding a gun to my head so I'll sit here nice and comfy on the fence and say its 50/50.

Cyclonic likes this.
  9. Cyclonic

The second Semi Final of the Cruiserweight's World Boxing Super Series. Russian IBF Champ Murat Gassiev and WBA Champ Yunier Dorticos put it all on the line, the winner to take on Oleksandr Usyk for all 4 belts and the Ali Trophy in May.

Aneez and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  10. smokethedeadbadger

And in the other big fight of the night Isaac Chamberlain decided not to show up. what a disappointment.

11. Cyclonic

Eddie Hearn said the fight was "bang average" and "poor." He also said it was "disappointing" and couldn't make up his mind as to this or the Cleverly - Bellew 2 bout as the most boring. He wasn't happy. <laugh>

12. smokethedeadbadger

It was terrible. They basically held onto each other for 10 rounds whilst Okolie occasionally threw Chamberlain around a bit. Both had points deducted by ref and both were warned on numerous occasions for holding, pushing, lack of action etc...

Cyclonic likes this.
  13. Cyclonic

It looks as though we might have another rising superstar in Japan. Going into today's WBC Flyweight Title bout against the 8th ranked Moises Fuentes, the Champion Daigo Higa from Tokyo, had won all of his fights by KO. He's one of only two world champions who've won all their bouts inside the distance, the other being Anthony Joshua. The man Higa fought is a former two weight champion. He's in the pink.

Scroll down to the replay. Don't blink. :emoticon-0100-smile

https://www.allthebestfights.com/higa-vs-fuentes-full-fight-video-pelea-2018/

Ron likes this.
  14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What a stinker that was. Absolutely dreadful

15. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

Yep, absolutely shocking smokey. Made worse by Bellew's dreadful co-commentary. Hope sky dont give him another gig

16. Cyclonic

And speaking of Bellew, why is he always walking about in Eddie Hearn's shadow? He like some lap dog. Really embarrassing stuff.

17. Ardent1965

Ardent1965 Well-Known Member

So here is the British Bantamweight unfolding....Scheduled Josh Wale mandatory defence against Kash Farooq....Kash is too good too classy...
    Lee McGregor will stop Scot Allen in Glasgow 3rd March

All Scottish title fight in Edinburgh end of July...McGregor stops Kash

Cyclonic likes this.
  18. Ardent1965

Ardent1965 Well-Known Member

19. Cyclonic

Still 6 weeks to go. It's going to be huge.

20. Cyclonic