1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bournemouth Marathon

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by RSS, Jun 26, 2013.

1. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Hello fellow not606ers,

For some strange unknown reason I've decided to sign up to the Bournemouth Marathon. I'm running for Macmillan Cancer Support and I'm hoping to raise upwards of £250. If you are able to spare a little change it would be greatly appreciated. I realise that these charity pleas come up every now and then, but I don't have many friends, so anything that you may be able to pledge would be fantastic.

You can donate at the link below.

http://www.justgiving.com/run-paul-alderton-run

Thanks a lot <cheers>

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Actually having trouble trying to donate to you. I'll try again at another time.

Best wishes TSS.

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

good luck

4. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Many thanks!! I really appreciate the support. I'll have to start training this weekend. It's only 4 months away! I'll try and keep my fundraising page updated with how my training is going.

TSS, I had issues writing up 'My Story' section on the fundraising page. Switched from Chrome to Firefox and it worked fine. Perhaps it's a browser error? Although from reading your posts, you are far more clued up on technical malarkey like that then I am!

5. TheSecondStain

Sadly for you, I use Firefox. :) Don't worry, I'll get it sorted.

6. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

To be honest I have had issues with both Firefox and chrome so have had to go back to ordinary Google.

7. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

Chrome is Google, no? Google's browser, I mean.

8. TheSecondStain

Chrome is indeed Google's own browser. I think what Beddy meant was Internet Explorer. If I was a professional person to judge browsers, I would choose Mozilla Firefox over any other, when using it in the Linux or Windows environment. Safari is excellent in Apple OS's, but sucks up too many resources in Windows. Opera is excellent too, although a tad eccentric, in my opinion. There are many browsers, and although IE is a fine one, it is hacked by so many people out there that it doesn't stand a chance. It ends up being very slow in general operation. In contrast, Firefox starts quite slowly, but is fast in operation and is extremely well protected. An excellent balance.

If you insist on your misspelled Favorites [Favourites is correct in GB English], then IE is for you, as nobody else bookmarks quite that way. If you don't mind then Firefox is all you need, but there are others. Just type browsers into your search engine.

And by the way, RSS, that donation was sorted, so get training. :)

Incidentally, I rode my Honda VFR800FiY to it's MOT today. That was sublime. Chrikey that bike just feels so solid and classy underneath me. The new Pirelli's feel gorgeous. But I bring it up because while it was being MOT'd I used a pushbike to get around [the fitness angle] and visited a few areas around Totton. It was great..! I loved it. No hurry, and no need to be places at a certain time. Now I need to get my Chioc racing bike out of the shed. I wonder how much of it is left after one blows the rust away..!

9. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot everyone!! The donations are flooding in. I will start my training plan tomorrow TSS....once I have come up with it :cheesy:

I enjoy a bike ride, but am not a confident cyclist. The busy roads and poor quality at the edges puts me off. Needs must though, so I cycled to work and back on Thursday, 13 miles. Around half the distance I'll be running in 4 months time...yikes.

10. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

This may help RSS, good luck.http://www.halhigdon.com/

11. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Excellent, thanks for that IOAG. The training plan for marathon novices (such as myself) on the Bournemouth Marathon website seemed more of a running novice training plan with the first 'training session' consisting of a 10 minute walk! I may be new to Marathon running, but I'm not new to running. So the variety of plans on the website you've kindly shared with me is most helpful, so cheers for that.

12. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Bumped because it's worth it .

And some moan about the colour of a shirt FFS !!!

13. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Yes let's make sure we keep this on the front page!

14. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! Went on my first official Marathon training run today. Made a bit of a schoolboy error and took on the heat as well as the tarmac. Wanted to go this morning before it heated up but had to wait in for a bed to be delivered. Waited until 5 but it was still 20°C and the sun had his hat on. Lovely, but doesn't make it any easier. Anyway, managed an 11 mile run which is someway short of 26.2 miles!!! But not too bad for run number 1.

15. TheSecondStain

Don't worry, I'll make sure it stays there as long as people remind me about it. If RSS wants it stickied nearer the time I'll do that too.

16. lamby

Bumped

17. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I bet Gaston wouldn't be able to do this (just to keep it in line with EVERY OTHER THREAD.....)

18. lamby

Bumped

19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

How's the training going RSS ?

20. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Keep at it mate! I did a 14mile bike ride this morning before it heated up, lovely to have the sunshine but the real heat to slow you down, try to keep up the morning runs while the weather is this warm. I have the Ride London 100 to do next month, I'd rather do that than a marathon though!