1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bob Peeters

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by cfgs, May 21, 2014.

1. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

It's all a pile of steaming doggy doo doo

2. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

bring back powell!

#thisshouldstartsomeposts

3. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Haven't you always wanted to play at Upton's park?

4. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

I would like to play on her grass<cool>

5. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

6. West Stand Willy

West Stand Willy Active Member

7. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

8. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

9. West Stand Willy

West Stand Willy Active Member

I guess you've not listened to it.

10. ForestHillBilly

Bob is OK
    Roland is huh.

11. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Do you mean... OK, Bob is OK...?

OK?

12. ForestHillBilly

The conversation goes:
    Roly "huh!"
    Bob "OK"
    Roly "Huh?"
    Bob "OK!"
    Roly " HUH!!"
    Bob "OK?"

etc

13. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

First time I've heard him speak like the focus on youth players

14. ForestHillBilly

Considering how I've been droning on about the Academy I should feel more pleased by this than I am. Roly said that he chose Bob because he had the "mindset" to favour the "young guns". Strange, because from what I saw JR had it just right in this respect. If it turns out that Bob really means it, and he has the ability to go with it, we are in for a rise in fortunes, because I believe our club has been favouring experience over youth for years, even going back to the end of the Curbs era. Remember Mark Kinsella was originally appointed with the specific role of bringing youth players forward to first-team level and nothing became of that. Likewise when we allowed 7 subs instead of 5 that was supposed to give the manager a chance to put the youngsters on the bench, but it didn't happen.
    So, actions speak louder than words, and at the end of the day any manager is going to pick the team which he thinks will win whatever the age, so fingers crossed and all that.

15. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

He doesn't have a choice. As the owner clearly has no intention of buying enough mature players to make up a competitive team he will have no other option but to rely on young players, so he is making a virtue out of necessity.

I prefer Powell's supposed philosophy of putting them in when they are ready, and not leaving them in for too many games. I say "supposed" because Powell, under the same pressure of having to win points with a threadbare squad, did not manage the youngsters the way he wanted to do. I hold that partly responsible for Piggott and Harriott's faltering progress. Cousins was also overplayed by the end of the season and starting to take stick from our more stupid fans.

Top managers like Wenger don't throw in youngsters to "sink or swim". They have a longer-term plan for their development. No reflection on Powell or Peeters, they didn't/don't not have that luxury. Firstly, they don't have enough good mature players, and secondly they don't have an owner who will back them through lean periods.

16. ForestHillBilly

Don't quite follow this, Eddie. Cousins came in when he was ready, and stayed in the first team all season. The Harriotts came in when they were nearly ready, and stayed in the rest of the season, even although they were struggling to adjust to Championship defenders. Poyet came in when he was ready and stayed in to become POTY. Pigott came in when he wasn't ready for a Millwall Derby, had a nightmare and did not play for CP again. Lennon came in when he was ready but played LB, a position completely unfamiliar, although he did very well. His record of bringing on Youth players is mixed, and my main complaint was that he would not put them on the bench for most of the time we were under him in the Championship.

17. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Bob's interview yesterday sounds a bit defensive.

"I was not very happy with the first-half performance."

"Peeters was less impressed by the opening 45 minutes against Welling."

"In the first half I didn&#8217;t think we did too well,&#8221; said Peeters.

"in the first half I thought it was not good enough."

That's the same thing four times. Sounds as if he is falling over himself to criticise the performance before someone else does.

And what is the crap about "We are certain to sign a new striker by the weekend". Again it sounds like he is trying to fend off criticism from above or from the fans, or both.

A confident manager would admit to the poor performance once, and clearly, maybe even apologise (though hardly necessary for a pre-season warm-up), then move on (to use CP's favourite phrase). And he, or the club, would announce a new signing only once everything was irrevocably signed and sealed.

On another topic, Bob Peeters and his master have repeatedly trumpeted his expertise and interest in developing young players. Indeed we are told that is why he became the chosen one.

Let us hope that is justified. After everything goingly swimmingly under Nathan Jones, we have had a few hiccups since he left. Piggott and Harriott have not progressed, and the u21s lost a few games to mediocre opponents (though mainly I think because the team was messed about with triallists and seniors returning after injury).

I have never thought Euell was up to the job. His appointment looked like a cheap Band-Aid applied to the wound of Nathan Jones' departure by owners who knew they would not be around much longer to witness the outcome.

Now this might be totally unfair, and Euell may be doing a brilliant job, but whether he is or not it is a safe bet Peeters will think he could do a better one. That is only human nature when we think we have some particular expertise. And neither he nor RD have any reason to be loyal to Euell who was appointed because he was CP's mate.

Peeters has his hands full at the moment trying to make bricks wihout straw, but you can bet as soon as he has settled on a first-team formation and pecking order (or given up trying), he and RD will turn to the u21s. Depending on the nature of Euell's contract I am sure he will be moved out or sideways, with control of the u21s more directly under Peeter's purview.

If the first team struggle as I expect them to do, we may even see a new Head Coach appointed and Peeters become u21 coach by the New Year.

18. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

The mention of a striker was purely to deflect the fans attention from the result. Which it seemingly did do..

19. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

I'm going to the Charlton XI versus Thurrock match tomorrow night. Anyone fancy a meet-up? I'll be accompanied by the lunatic fringe - my wife and kids.

20. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Careful, you will be accused of being a racist in a minute <yikes> It isn't necessary to speak English, or be British. Roland is great. You are all moaners. I would happily pay £500 to get in. I am not posting on here anymore. I have just spent 6 weeks on the beach. Can you get Vol banned please. Vol is a c**t etc etc