1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Best Bitter

Discussion in 'F1 Off Topic' started by ErnieBecclestone, Apr 10, 2013.

1. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

I don't know how you guy's feel, but it pleases me to witness and taste the resurgence of proper brewed bitter ale's.

As a working class lad living in the West country, early 60s, I was initiated into the habit of drinking beer by my older colleagues and would enjoy sinking several pint's of Whitbread Tankard when the occasion demanded.

Sadly, the brand disappeared over the following years and lager in its many guises took it's place, although to be honest I really didn't appreciate the product except for the infamous Stella Artois on draft, which I first encountered one hot summers afternoon during the 70s, three things I do vaguely remember of the event were, Stella, tasted great was very strong and cost a fortune.

However I still preferred Bitter beer overall and have spent many subsequent years searching out a decent pint, a move of job, house and home during the 80s brought me close to the center of UK brewing Burton upon Trent and the famous Bass houses, where one can still enjoy a decent pint in the towns traditional pubs, particularly those situated close to the brewery gates along Station Street.

There are many micro breweries in the local area that produce superb beer, so the future for sampling real ale is looking good, nothing better than a GP on the TV accompanied by a pint of bitter.

What say you.

2. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

I really dont like bitter stuff! I'm more of a Vodka person, or anything to do with shots

3. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Hahaha, nice thread, Ernie. And perhaps I should say I am with you most, if not all of the way!

Can we start talking of Thornbridge's Jaipür, Kipling etc.? Or should we lament the days when these outstanding beers were in their prime? – That is, before they upped sticks, deciding their 'micro brewery' should become slightly less micro, with the immediate consequence of spoiling their previously fabulous products.

In terms of wondrous things in bottles from Burton, some supermarkets occasionally stock Marston's 'Old Empire' (5.7%), as well as their somewhat less glamorously named but equally fabulous, 'Strong Pale Ale' (6.2%). Hmm… yeah, why not… If sticking with Marston's bottles for an evening theme, how about a Pedigree V.S.O.P.(6.7%) as a nightcap!

4. ErnieBecclestone

Sozzy is that you Cos, hic.

5. cosicave

I meant to include something in my previous post. After thinking about editing it, I've decided it warrants its own post.

You mentioned Stella Artois. Aargh! Рwhat ghastly stuff! It's barely one notch up from that other bile called Kr̦nenberg!

So, you ask, what is the alternative if a top quality ale is not on offer and the evening is too young for single malt? Well, in terms of lagered beers, almost anything offered in Czechoslovakia is a fine bet. In particular, 'Pilsner Urquell' and 'Staropramen' are superb, both of which, I understand, were what the Germans saw as models for their own interpretations such as Löwenbräu (which, although good, is but a poor imitation of what flows across the eastern border). Nearby Poland also produces some excellent stuff – very much better than either bile mentioned above!

In terms of what's on offer in Europe, we are privileged to have an enormous choice. But I'd say that the best beers are on its eastern (Czech) and western (UK) flanks, rather than what's in the middle…

6. cosicave

<laugh>

7. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Couldn't agree more Cosi about Staropramen and Pilsner Urquell. Despite my student budget, if I'm drinking lager out and they've got either of those on tap, or even in bottles, damn the cost I'm having a decent lager. Spent some time in Prague last summer, which was fabulous as there's practically not a bad option on tap anywhere.

8. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

9. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I often just go for the one with the stupid name. pays off about 80% of the time.

10. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Aspall's is my favourite cider by far, although the summer fruit varieties appear to have gone the same way as Kronenberg in being far too sweet. Several members of my family have helped make it at one point or another too, which is nice.

11. cosicave

<laugh>
    That seems a good tactic for any drunkard!

12. Max Whiplash

Max Whiplash Well-Known Member

I'm fond of Doom Bar myself, and any number of Badger's ales though I'm not sure they really qualify as 'bitter' as such. There are good lager beers too but I think as I slip into middle age, I'm becoming more discerning about what I want to drink.

Incidentally, there are some great Belgian beers: Duvel and Delerium Tremens spring straight to mind... :emoticon-0175-drunk

13. Max Whiplash

Max Whiplash Well-Known Member

Yep, very good stuff too, IMO.

14. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Really love that stuff, the only issue I have with it is that it's a lot stronger than it tastes!

15. ErnieBecclestone

owd rodger.jpg

7.4% Beautiful

16. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Brought up on Tetley Bitter... and it never did me any bloody harm!!!

:D

17. ErnieBecclestone

Tetley,s lad, chuffin heck, thee must be from North of Watford then.

18. ErnieBecclestone

Been down to Devon and Cornwall for a few days, and discovered a half dozen more micro breweries, all producing some very fine examples of traditional ales, it seems the increased taste for bottled and draft quality products is overcoming the mass produced mediocre offerings from the likes of Coors etc.

The local news around here is indicating the Burton on Trent Coors breweries are heading into a very intense cost reduction exercise and cutting employees salaries and other capital expenditures, hard times ahead for some I fear.

19. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Eeeeeee by eck lad... thar I am. Yorkshire lad born an' bred an' bloody proud of it.

20. The Iceman

The Iceman Member

please log in to view this image

Had this at Sandown racecourse a few years back. From the cask it is probably the best beer I've ever tasted. From the bottle I thought it lost what made it so nice from the cask. I always treat myself to a few pints whenever I pop down to the racecourse though.

please log in to view this image

Is my ale of choice. First time I tried it I was blown away, the taste is exactly what I look for in a good beer.

I like to pick up and try new ales/bitters/lager as I see them, my list of best/favourites could go on forever.

Attached Files: