1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs Everton - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Sep 21, 2018.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Thats what we do better under Emery soo far. Dont seem to need many chances to score.

2-0!!!!!

2. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

2-0! Aubameyang!

How we're winning this I have no idea <laugh>

3. excel

excel Active Member

Goallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the second half show has started.

4. BrunelGooner

Aubameyang was miles offside there, I can't believe that's been given.

Everton have been very hard done by there. Not even a hard decision to make!

5. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

So far so good.

(We are sooo lucky tbf!)

6. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

That goal was miles offside.

7. TheBear

playing ALOT better now.

8. TheBear

Excellent save from Cech.
    He's been good today.

9. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

He has not been good. He has been great!

TheBear likes this.
  10. TheBear

Ozil has been poor today.

11. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

First clean sheet of the season. You'd swear we'd lost judging by what people are saying,

winifred122 and 01 21 Do One like this.
  12. TheBear

Decent win in the end.

First half we were poor (again) but Emery seemed to make the right adjustments.

Lacazette's goal was a thing of beauty.

13. BrunelGooner

FT. 2-0.

We played a million times better after Lacazette scored (and what a fine strike it was), however, we got ridiculously fortunate with the second. Not sure what the linesman was playing at there.

Don't think Everton deserved to lose the game, but they didn't take their chances when they had them. For that, they only have themselves to blame.

Either way, I'm pleased we kept a clean sheet. Didn't think this would be the game where we would do it, given the array of attacking talent at Everton and how vulnerable we are at the back, but I'm glad we did.

Holding did very well when he came on. Mustafi was ok, still can be a bit too indecisive with the ball at his feet, but performed a lot better in the second half. Monreal played well. Bellerin was very good in the second half I thought.

I still get very frustrated that we never seem to utilise the full 90 minutes to win a game. I am hoping that will come with time.

Overall, pleased with the win even if it was somewhat fortuitous.

We need to kick on now though. Our performances need to improve too.

14. BrunelGooner

Also, I have to give MotM to Cech. He made some fantastic saves and was quick off his line to deny Walcott and Calvert-Lewin. Seemed very sharp.

To be honest, he kept us in the game at certain points, so I think purely for his all-round display, Cech deserves to be MotM.

15. excel

excel Active Member

Everton were the best team on the pitch up until the goal was scored,we only started to play after that.For me we have the same faults we had last season,I thought Emery was going to be a bit more of a tactician but we seem to play the same way home and away,early days I know.

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Big game for Cech, proved he's still got it. Not the best with his feet, but more than makes up for that with the rest of his play.

Lovely strike from Lacazette today, even though he had a quiet game overall. Still a game changer and that's the mark of a quality player.

We got lucky with the 2nd goal, it was a mile offside. But I'll take it

4 wins on the bounce now <ok>

17. TheBear

Surely this just proves he IS a tactician.

We have had poor starts in most games this Season however he makes tactical adjustments based on what is happening on the pitch and in most cases they work. (As they did today)

PINKIE likes this.
  18. BrunelGooner

You could also (validly) make an argument that his starting line-ups are questionable and only after the first half, where he realises that his initial team selections aren't functioning the way he wants, he then decides to switch the team up.

I don't want to be too critical of him, as he's clearly still trying to get a feel for the type of players we have and wants to assess whether they can adapt to the way he wants to play. And to be fair, he's managed to get 5 wins on the bounce now. However, we will come unstuck against better teams if we carry on these disjointed first-halves.

Ramsey playing as CAM and Ozil on the right made no sense, for example. And it's not the first time he's doen this. Xhaka's inclusion has also been heavily questionable given his indifferent displays in most matches this season. Shifting Aubameyang onto the left has also been a questionable decision because some, including me, thinks it can reduce his and the team's effectiveness. He seems set on this 4-2-3-1 formation without any room for flexibility.

He's been doing a decent job so far, but it doesn't mean he's not made his fair share of errors/strange choices.

19. excel

excel Active Member

We play the other half of merseyside in a few weeks,if we continue starting the way we are at the moment we will get our you know what handed to us.The point I was making was not that he won't make changes during a game but that we set up the same way whether its a top six or bottom six side home or away,I was expecting to see some variation in how we start games away from home especially against the stronger sides.

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I just think the whole thing is going to take time. Emery has had half a dozen competitive games with this squad, so it's going to take a while just to instil one way of playing in them all as a team. I think he's doing a decent job tactically when he needs to change things around during a game, but teaching these players to set up and play a different style of football is one big task alone. He then needs to be able to get them to adapt those tactics for different scenarios.

It's all going to take time.