1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Anfield expansion thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Aug 30, 2016.

1. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Did they hand over almost £300m just so LFC could keep their own money safe?

2. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

3. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

They need to expand the stadium Westward a few thousand miles.

4. moreinjuredthanowen

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...verpool-accounts-anfield-road-latest-14352711

Please no bullshit about Everton. You've your own thread for that.

Hughes said: "Work continues on the Anfield Road project. We need to make sure that design, feasibility, cost, capacity and economic viability all make sense.

"We're still working on all those things, we're going through exactly the same process we went through on the Main Stand.

"We're happy with the progress we're making and obviously when we get through those next steps we'll update everyone."

Liverpool's latest accounts show a healthy profit of £39m for the year ending in May last year despite no European football.

Capital investment amounted to around £52m, primarily linked to the Main Stand, which has proved a big hit with supporters.

Match day revenue jumped by £12m to £74m despite playing just 24 matches at Anfield compared to 31 games in the previous year.

In other words before the Main Stand Liverpool earned around £2m from every game at Anfield. Last year that figure jumped to just over £3m.

It is hoped that applying the same rigour to initial planning and design can lead to a similar success although the financial case for the Anfield Road is less obvious

A two-year build would see first team players leave Melwood in the summer of 2020, a year after initial forecasts but a timescale the club has been working to for a while.

Knowsley Council approved the sale of the land needed for the project at a cabinet meeting on Wednesday night.

Hughes said: "The project is on track. We got outline planning permission on the site in September 2017.

"We've completed all the design work and we're about to go to tender.

"We've got some strong, active interest from a number of contractors and we're looking to commence work on the site in the summer."

Only once Kirkby is completed would any work start on the building of houses at Melwood. Liverpool secured planning permission for 160 properties around open space last December despite some local opposition.

The ECHO understands that beginning work on Kirkby and the Anfield Road at the same time was always going to be a non-starter in terms of the allocation of people, focus and capital resources from within the club.

There is likely to be some overlap as and when Anfield Road is given the green light but Kirkby has been prioritised for now as it is seen as more vital to the first team squad and success on the pitch. Investment in the playing squad will take priority over either project and capital investment staggered to reflect that.

Mr Hughes said: “Performance on the pitch and the reinvestment in our squad is always a priority and following the club’s record signing last month we will look to invest again in the summer."

5. moreinjuredthanowen

So 3 things

Average match day revenue increase 2mil per match off new stand.

39mil profit to may with no europe

Kirkby main priority as project yo develop team.

Shortlist of designs for Anfield road being looked at now.

6. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

This being the telling part of the interview.

"Hughes said: "Work continues on the Anfield Road project. We need to make sure that design, feasibility, cost, capacity and economic viability all make sense."

Spurs, Chelsea, Everton and clubs that have already recently built new stadiums didn't play this game, they went or are going to go ahead and build, bigger and better than they had before, okay if in a few months they come back and say "we've looked at all the aspects pointed out and it's not feasible or viable economically" will we the supporters just say "oh ok, but thanks for looking into it anyway" and accept it.
    Our club is being left behind and they(the owners)are well aware, the Anfield Road expansion should be a major priority not just something they'll look at.<grr>

* Record Points Total likes this.
  7. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Off the Labrador coast?

8. LuisDiazgamechanger

Liverpool's new main stand earned the club an extra £12m last year. (Telegraph)

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  9. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Arsenal also just went ahead with a new stadium that saddled them with a restricted budget for decades #thatwentwell

Chelsea are planning to spend £1b just to get to 60,000 seats, assuming the legal problems can be solved. Just an ugly vanity project for a corrupt billionaire.

Spurs' new stadium is primarily for concerts and the NFL, with football coming second.

Everton's plans are just a scam for Moshiri to get the fans to buy him a massive asset that mysteriously doubled in cost between the pre-pre-planning stage and the pre-planning stage.

FSG have already delivered one expansion that has had minimal disruption to our season, significantly increased revenue, has a minimal cost (1.24% interest rate) and will be paid off within a short period of time.

I prefer FSG's way of doing it right.

10. moreinjuredthanowen

no arsenals books showed 200mil in free cash they didn't bother spending. they had plenty of cash off those apartments at highbury. wenger chose not to spend.

now faff off about everton on this thread please. you got your own to talk about that.

p.s. the reality is only the fans who want a ticket are being affected. the revenue off GA tickets in the anfield road end (6-8k more again) is not going to make a huge difference.

FSG claiming priorities

pitch
    players
    training ground
    then anfield road end.

my point would be if we say 39mil profit before last year net spend of -28mil.... then we should be expecting to see a significant investment in playing staff next summer as pitch is done and training ground pays for itself.

I quote:

''What is important is the underlying trend that has continued with the aim of strengthening our financial position with profits being reinvested back into the club and players, allowing this long-term stability to become a reality.

[…] ''Performance on the pitch and the reinvestment in our squad is always a priority, and following the club’s record signing last month, we will look to invest again in the summer.

''Progress on and off the pitch is critical to the growth of this football club—we all want success, and everything we’re doing is geared toward fulfilling our football ambitions.''

Andy Hughes COO Liverpool FC.

I expect anfield road announcement next summer and work to begin OUTSIDE the ground in summer 2019.

11. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

Actually £1m as according to the report you quoted average up from £2m to £3m.
    Nice to finally see some black in the accounts.

12. moreinjuredthanowen

yeah... its a bit of dosh but there.must be other funding on top of that as 120mil stand making 12 mil net in ayear = 10 year payback not 4. not sure til we see accounts.

less games played at anfiled last year.

13. Solid_Air 2

they will have all looked at the cost return benefit before committing to the huge financial outlay. I have no problem with FSG ensuring stability , including financially, as a priority for the club.

johnsonsbaby and Bumps like this.
  14. Solid_Air 2

Since bank debt has increased by more than
    that is just matchday revenue however revenue will be generated outside of that - in fact that is often a large part of the rationale for new stands / grounds as other revenue streams ( conference rooms dining facilities for example ) can be incorporated easier than in existing ageing stands / grounds.

15. Page_Moss_Kopite

Spurs are about to leapfrog us in matchday income, they are looking for a naming rights sponsor, if they win a trophy their profile goes up and they are more attractive to sponsors, Chelsea will go even further ahead of us financially when their new stadium is up and running.
    How are we going to keep up with those around us if we don't invest in our infrastructure, moving the training facilities to Kirkby isn't as expensive as it's made out to be, the land in Kirkby will cost £160k which will easily be covered by the sale of Melwood to property developers.
    When the tv bubble eventually bursts matchday income will become far more important to clubs, ours will either be increased on our supporters or stagnate while others in top fee clubs see their revenue increase.

16. Solid_Air 2

but they will have done a financial analysis of the cost v benefit as our owners have.
    If TV bubble bursts all PL clubs will be in deep **** and if it happens in near future both Spurs & Chelsea in deeper **** than most due to the debt hangover from the cost of the new stadium.
    Do i want further development of Anfield - obviously
    Do i understand why FSG / LFC look at it from the financial point of view - again obviously.
    I know we don't agree on this Page but both of us just want the best for the club <hug>

PS i'm by nature very cautious re money which may colour my views a tad :emoticon-0100-smile

Bumps and Page_Moss_Kopite like this.
  17. Page_Moss_Kopite

So I suppose a loan of a few bob is out of the question.:bandit:

18. Solid_Air 2

just PM your account details and i'll sort you out mate <whistle>

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.
  19. Page_Moss_Kopite

<laugh><ok>

20. saintKlopp

I understand Page's view - and he's not alone - but I'm with you on this.
    I think that from the off FSG have made sure that the club is viable. It frustrates some who want to see things happening more quickly but I think they have adopted a sound business model and built the club up in a far more astute way than any of our previous owners.
    It remains to be seen how well they develop it over the next few years, and if it all goes sour then I'll hold my hand up - but for now I'm happy to see us working within our means and taking the time to build properly. This ties in with the playing side as well, giving Klopp the time he needs to build without expecting the immediate results that only sugar-daddy spending can bring.
    We live in impatient times and it seems rare to see this outlook but when I think of the near disaster that the last pair of shysters almost brought down on our heads I'm relieved to see us take a more measured approach this time..