1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youngsters Released

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by eltorro, Jan 3, 2013.

1. eltorro

eltorro Member

I guess the Boo Boys will need a new scapegoat after today. I think it will be Martin Allen if it all goes wrong. Be an interesting line up on Saturday. I am guessing it will be Jack Payne and the new signing in midfield ?

2. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

So who is left in the Academy? How will this effect Mark Patterson? Are there enough players
    to actually form a squad for a game?

3. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

How is it that Allen raves about how good the academy players are then releases the best ones, bar Davies and Dack who has been loaned out. Where lies the future when he has also said Payne can go if an offer comes in. What are Scally and Hessy doing upstairs.

4. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Well I've had yesterday afternoon, evening and night to calm down about these decisions but im still absolutely baffled. The fact he hasn't really bothered to play most of them is imo quite disrespectful. MA comes out and says that they've all been absolutely superb in training or development games but then doesn't give them an opportunity. Yes we're top of the league and most of his selections have been spot on so he has every right not to play them, but the fact that Essam was given a three year deal in the summer and he hasn't bothered to play him once is a pretty poor show really. The fact that we finished 8th last season does show that Hess least had some idea as to what he was doing about team selections and wasn't completely clueless. It was his call to bring in Essam last year to a failing defence and his input helped stabilise us.

Also whats the backup plan if Fish is to get injured? Do we particularly want to revert one of our best midfielders in Lee or Whelpdale to right back or do we wanna try one of our centre backs who haven't ever really played there. Mad Dog I still like you as our boss but you've let me down with the decisions on Essam and Evans.

5. brb

brb Guest

Totally agree. People can bash me up if they want but MA I thought said in the media it was about fitness - Essam went to Luton on loan, the fans at Luton loved him, he comes back and still no place in the team for him. I have spoken to a few Luton fans this morning and they still love him but now there may be no place in their team having just signed 'Ainge for a fee.' Yes Davies did a good job and I have no argument with that but what about the few games he did not play, Essam still did not get his chance. I never boo, I never will, I would never even abuse a manager, it's only a job but I will not play happy clappy either, why should I lie, it does not matter whether we are top of the league or bottom of the league, it does not matter if we are building for League One, you should still have views totally regardless of league position or manager. I am not saying for one moment I will not support what MA is doing but I would rather voice it now and be wrong, then moan later because I'm frightened to stick my neck above the parapet. The players can never voice their opinion, so they rely on the same loyalty from us at times like this.

6. EagerExile

EagerExile New Member

Give Martin Allen a break. guys! We're top of the league and having our best season for years. We have to trust Martin's judgment. Connor did well last year, but we don't see him train (and Martin's hardly going to slag him off publicly, even if he has looked below par). In any case, this may be purely a financial decision. Scally's asked for the squad to be trimmed, and the manager has to weigh up his options. We have Barrett and Legge as first choice, then Davies and Frampton, then the kid we signed earlier in the season who by all accounts is going to be excellent. Connor's not going to get a look-in, so we may as well let him go. At least he'll get to play some football then - and with a sell-on clause, we still have a stake in him. Makes sense to me.

7. brb

brb Guest

EagerExile - for some reason your post went in to moderation, so I obviously approved it straight a way as soon as I realised. Not sure why it did that, maybe the spam filters inadvertently picked up on some use of wording because you are still in newbie status - apologises.

8. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

On this thread yesterday I queried the position that the depleted Development Squad
    now finds itself in and what the future might hold for it. However, on Kent on Line
    today MA explains that he expects the best members of the youth team to now push on
    and fill the vacancies left by the recent departures.

9. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

I can't see what the fuss is, these four young kids aren't good enough for the squad in Allen's opinion and he is where the buck stops in terms of the results on the pitch. The club only has a finite set of resources so we can't keep carrying bit part players in terms of the playing staff.

Developing kids is difficult, it takes a large amount time and money, which the club simply can't afford to spend. Yes Essam looked promising last season in a stuttering side, but is he as good as Barrett, Legge, Davies, Flanagan or Frampton; no. So he simply shouldn't be kept based on the sentiment of the fanbase.

As for the speculation that they haven't been given a chance, you earn your chance on the training ground. Clearly they weren't good enough, this happens all the time in football. Many promising youngster drop into non league to earn their stripes and good luck to them. In my opinion it is more unfair to keep them at the club when we have no intention of playing them, it won't aid their development as players doing that. It is beeter for all involved that they are given a chance to play and if that is at another club so be it.

10. BelfastBlue

BelfastBlue Member

i agree with BSG. MD is planning for league 1 and is not scared to do what he believes is necessary.

I think this extract from brb post sums it up.

..........I have spoken to a few Luton fans this morning and they still love him but now there may be no place in their team having just signed 'Ainge for a fee.'......

exactly- the point here is that if a conference team cant find a place for him, that's a good indication why he isnt in mad dogs plans for league 1 next season.

MD must of known that this cull would be contrerverial but he was bold enough to do it. He is a strong manager, tends to call things right and strong factor to why we are top.

11. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

12. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

It will always be difficult for Managers to release these players. Some will go on to other league clubs and others will play non league football. All managers make some bad calls about releasing players. Who got rid off Jackson first time round then we had to resign him and then sell him again for a nice profit. At least Essam still has 2 years to find a club or if Allen goes may still play again for the Gills first team. If he does go which is likely and he does well we could still benefit from a sell on clause.