1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youngsters Released

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by eltorro, Jan 3, 2013.

1. eltorro

eltorro Member

2. throwoff

throwoff Member

Good decision, I think Evans in particular looks a good player.

He needs to get out and get games.

3. brb

brb Guest

That was quick, well done throwoff.

Sad to see Evans go but you are right in your second comment. Don't seem to be much room for youngsters at the club under MA.

4. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

No I really like Jack Evans he looked a real talent last season so it is sad that he has gone.

5. brb

brb Guest

6. HOADIE_BOI

I thought Ben Strevens may go so that is no shock and says that we are going to get another striker because if we didn't we would be short of strikers but to release Essam is mad that is such.a shame.

7. The Shouting Man

The Shouting Man Active Member

8. HOADIE_BOI

Really they have not been released they have been transfer listed but for free transfers, I feel that we will regret that one on Connor Essam as he is a good player.
    The bit about Ben Strevens is strange "He will still be involved with us but I've promised that if clubs come in for him, to give him an opportunity to play and maybe earn himself a new contract, then we will not stand in his way.
    "Ben is in our squad for Saturday's game at Bristol Rovers."
    I think we should either keep him or let him go, if he don't have a space in team why will he remain involved, why is he is the squad for Saturday?

9. throwoff

throwoff Member

Dack loaned now!

10. HOADIE_BOI

I think that is good as he needs to play more games.

11. throwoff

throwoff Member

Rumours abound that Montrose has gone on loan for 4 months.

12. gills4everandaday

gills4everandaday Active Member

I know martin allen wasn't at the club when Gillingham fc gave connor essam a new deal at the start of the season, but didn't they give him a three year deal ?....strange one that and one I think we will regret !

i'd rather Montrose, strevens & kedwell were made available for transfer to be honest !

13. HOADIE_BOI

That is good news if it is happening.
    I can't remember us releasing that many during the season, we usually only let this amount go at the end of the season so it is good we are clearing out as that hopefully means new players.
    With Montrose going that may mean that Payne is staying as we need to have at least 1 of them surely?
    I thought Montrose had taken Payne's place and that MA rated him so I am shocked to hear that he may be going.

14. HOADIE_BOI

Yeah it was a three year deal so what I am thinking is will we have to pay him off, I know that by the sounds of it he has been transfer listed not released as he is listed for free, same for Ben Strevens if they have been listed then we would not have to pay them off but I feel that Connor Essam has not been given a chance as you have to at least play them first before deciding if they stay or go, the only one released is Ross Flitney who we would have to pay off.

15. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Was a 3 year contract thats probably why there should be a sell on clause if he makes it elsewhere.

16. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Brown, Brunt, Flitney and probably Strevens were inevitable although feel it was a bit harsh on both Brown and Brunt as they weren't ever really tried or tested. I am definitely not at all happy about letting Evans or Essam go though. It now means we have no natural replacement for Fish if he gets injured and Evans was such a talent. He also had the ability to become a very promising Right Winger if not Right Back. Essam was our standout defender last term and quite frankly warranted to at least start the season.

not a happy Pegleg:steam:

17. brb

brb Guest

You are not alone and I have since said on twitter...

brb_GFC ‏@brb_gfc
    Serious question not being negative, since the beginning of the season is clearing all our young blood out really the way forward? #future

Not really happy with today's decisions, we are top of the league and the good times could be blinkering us in my opinion. Would I swap those young blood for arguments sake yesterday's rumours surrounding Cody. Quite simply No.

When MA eventually walks away from all this, I sincerely hope to be eating my words and to be totally wrong.

18. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

If players come in then players need to go out and Gills had too many to start with. So far as the youngsters are concerned we have to go with the judgements of the coaching staff who see these lads on a daily basis even if some of these judgements raise eyebrows. The more senior departures have received plenty of comment elsewhere but not so with Flitney where a big error might be being made.
    At present we are an injury to the admirable Nelson away from having Forecast in the team who has the most awful cv of any pro. His 5 league games at the age of 26 and no appearances in the Southampton team after being there for 5 years certainly raises questions. The press reports about his brief stay at Grimsby really cause concern and anyone who watched closely his second half performance at Preston confirm the suspicions. Flitney was an entirely safe and reliable pair of hands who would not displace admirable Nelson but would be a great deputy. Instead we have the ticking timebomb that is Forecast. Perhaps Nelson is going to be wrapped in cotton wool or a goalie signing is imminent and Forecast can be returned to Southampton but somehow I think not. A huge risk is being overlooked.

19. HOADIE_BOI

I think it is probably because forecast wage is being paid by Southampton so it is one less wage to pay but then you should still have a decent back up which we had in Flitney.

20. brb

brb Guest

I suppose I could argue that if we are relying on the judgements of the coaching staff, surely the same rule applies to Flitney to a certain degree. I just hope this is all not just the result of MA's ego and personal ambition. When some personalities in life have their sights set on something, no person stands in their way, everyone is expendable (so much for being a TEAM). In the short term that may be good as we build for L1. So expanding your context of words bristol407 - is a huge risk being overlooked because we are top of the league. Still at least we will all be happy when we get promoted this season, because anything else would be pure disaster or will we all make excuses because we love a high profile publicity Mad Dog personality. I can tell you now, I will not make excuses for him but I will also give him just applauds if he pulls this off and that is called treading a fine line.