1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World Cup

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by DuaneDarby18, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Yes, protest but using our provided materials.

2. Cityzen

Cityzen Well-Known Member

It’s a minefield, Dutch.

Gone For A Walk and DMD like this.
  3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

No. Supporting a group of people who don’t yet have equality isn’t discrimination.

4. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Cool, so all the others have equality. Sounds like job done there then...or maybe...

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Ah did you mean it would be discriminatory against other groups or against LGBT groups?

6. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Yes.

7. Sumatran_Tiger

Sumatran_Tiger Well-Known Member

Against "+" ?

8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Im really confused. Which did you mean?

9. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

I don't care whether they take the knee or not, but it definitely feels like an empty gesture now we know that if FIFA had said they couldn't do it without consequences they would have immediately stopped doing it.

They bottled it as you say.

They should have had the guts to let Kane take the yellow card, change the Captain to a different player next game, and let them take a card. etc etc

It's clearly not that important to them. Which is fine, but don't pretend it is important in that case.

10. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

I wonder what’s really been said behind the scenes. If it was a yellow card, I’m sure someone would have just been like, **** it, it’s only a yellow. Got to be more to it than that. It’s such a pathetic, almost satirical last minute deterrent.

The photo of the referee awarding Kane a yellow card would have been a real life Banksy mural.

dennisboothstash likes this.

11. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Amongst all this is the Welsh fans who say they had rainbow hats taken off them at the stadium.

That’s the bigger joke here really.

12. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

Anybody think an armband, bucket hat or whatever would make even one jot of difference? It's meaningless crap yet it's taking up so much energy.
    FFS, just play football, let fans enjoy the football (or ignore it if that's their 'cut my nose off to spite my face' personal choice) and leave the 'politics' to others.

Benjo and AlaHullPPG like this.
  13. charon-the-ferryman

charon-the-ferryman Well-Known Member

part of the problem is we allow Islam to be practiced in this country which means taking on board their beliefs on women and LGBT - as soon as you criticise you get accused of being Islamaphobic - people need to make their minds up whether everyone's human rights are important or just those who think the same as you

14. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

It depends on how you approach it I guess. If you are respectful I highly doubt you’d be called Islamophobic.

I would respect someone who told me I don’t agree with the way you live your life, but I will defend your right to live it.

TwoWrights and tigerrev like this.
  15. Gone For A Walk

<applause>
    Where's the mike drop emoji?
    As the post alludes to, the irony and hypocrisy from so many in this country is beyond ridiculous. A clusterfuck with our country taken for mugs.
    Either cultures, values & practices that are so opposed to ours are ok or they aren't.
    If it's the right thing to do to speak out about Qatar & wherever, to wear armbands, bucket hats, other symbols & gestures, it can't also then be right to allow, enable, even encourage, 'multi culturalism' and what that entails in practice here (the opposing cultures, values & practices i.e. the same things that are being protested about in Qatar here in our own country); it makes no sense whatsoever. Where's the same protests and pissy gestures here in our country? Oh, that's not allowed as it's deemed racist or phobic.
    I'm sick of the hypocrisy, mixed messages, double standards, etc. As the post said, "people need to make their minds up", and start looking in their own back yard.
    This WC is doing a great job in bringing this mixed up **** to the fore again.
    FFS just play football.

16. charon-the-ferryman

charon-the-ferryman Well-Known Member

so if the Qatar team played football at Wembley and wanted their captain to wear an armband with 'no to LGBT' then you would be ok with it because it was deemed respectful - it's an impossible subject because everyone believes they have the moral high ground and as the world gets smaller and national populations become more diverse people become intolerant of each other's different beliefs - multiculturalism only works if everyone thinks the same and you persuade people with different beliefs to have the same as you otherwise you have to respect differences

Gone For A Walk likes this.
  17. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

But that’s not the same thing. As I said in this thread about the exact same point earlier, campaigning AGAINST someone’s rights is not the same as protesting FOR someone’s rights.

One is supportive, one isnt.

18. Gone For A Walk

Really? So you would defend their treatment of women, children, LGBT's, etc etc. and, maybe more to the point, you would defend it still when it happens in this country? Wow.

19. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

That’s literally not what I said.

20. Gone For A Walk

Ok, semantics. You say you would respect them, which therefore means their treatment of women, children, LGBT's etc, and to the point, including when it happens here in the UK. I very much doubt that's what you really meant. You are not on your own, most people are utterly lost with their hypocrisy, mixed messages, double standards, inability or unwillingness to see what's happening on their doorstep but instead feel it ok (or easier) to tell other distant countries how to live.
    OP - we need to make up our minds.

west stand stiffs and DMD like this.