1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Feb 17, 2018.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

congratulations to the medal winners, especially Lizzie Yarnold.

The time difference plus the fact that many of these sports don’t make great telly and are ‘arts’ based with scoring impenetrable to the layman make it difficult to get too worked up about this, which the total absence of any comment on this forum neatly sums up. Shame really, a lot of these sports take immense skill, superb fitness and incredible courage

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

I watched both the Skeleton and the Speed Skating today, really enjoyed it as a one off, but wouldn't make it too regular a watch, it can become very repetetive. Felt sorry for Christie in the skating, she just appears to be cursed in the Olympics, seeing as she's a multiple world champion and record holder - hopefully not too badly injured in her crash as she has one more event to compete in.

Lizzy Yarnolds' final run was spectacular, blowing away the final challenge from the Austrian girl who had been in 1st place, and big congrats to Laura Beas with her bronze in the same event.

Did enjoy watching Shaun White in the Snow-boarding earlier in the week - amazing what he and the other competitors are capable of doing on the snow.

kiwiqpr and KentGaz like this.
  3. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I find it hard to take too seriously, I'm afraid. I heard that a young American girl won a Bronze for GB and someone who was expected to win in the skating keeps falling over. I quite enjoy curling, though - a bit like slippery bowls.

4. Steelmonkey

Her Dad is British.

I quite enjoy the curling too. When my son was in Primary school, they had twelve weekly sessions at the local ice-rink learning curling, which he loved, and I believe a couple of the kids still go..

kiwiqpr likes this.
  5. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Isn’t Mo Farah from Somalia?

kiwiqpr, Steelmonkey and KentGaz like this.
  6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

A Czech snowboarder won the women’s Giant Slalom, to her and everyone else’s amazement. Saw the highlights of whatever the thing that the young Anglo-American came third in, to be informed by my wife that my son can do the stuff on the rails and ski backwards down whatever slope he wants. I gave up going skiing years ago, loved the first day then got pissed off with the hassle of it all and the humiliation of knowing that I had two under tens (now nearly 22 and 18) who were better than me. The rest of the family love it still, and are delighted to leave me at home with the dog.

I do like the snowboard races when there are a bunch of them on the slope at the same time though.

Deleted....... likes this.
  7. Stroller

Yes, but his father is British and Mo moved to Britain when he was 8. As Steels pointed out, Issy Atkin's father is also British, but the difference is she's lived all her life in America. She's American if you ask me.

8. Uber_Hoop

It’s all a question of geography. I guess if you feel and say you’re British these days, then perhaps you are.... until you feel and say you’re Croatian or from Mesopotamia.

9. Steelmonkey

Jamie Mackie is Scottish (apparently) and I bet he's never lived up here! There's piles of Kiwis and South Africans in the rugby and cricket squads.

I'll take any help we can get in winning medals! Heard there was some girl who was born in US and plays Ice Hockey for her University team - she got an email from the Korean national team, who then invited her join them and is now representing them at the Olympics - same deal. :emoticon-0148-yes:

kiwiqpr and Uber_Hoop like this.
  10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Who cares, she’s qualified to represent the U.K., chose to, trains as a part of the British team and beat all the US athletes in her chosen competition.

Nationality is plastic nowadays. Which is good.

kiwiqpr and Steelmonkey like this.

11. Stroller

I went on a school skiing trip when I was 15. A place in Switzerland called Wangs Pizol - pizol in the snow! I decided on the first day that skiing wasn't for me, faked a sprained ankle and spent most of the rest of the trip in a little café with a great jukebox drinking some kind of sparkling wine (almost certainly non-alcoholic). Never had any inclination to try skiing again.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    WBA2_QPR3 and Uber_Hoop like this.
  12. Steelmonkey

kiwiqpr likes this.
  13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Even I gave it more than a day Strolls! I ended up going 4 or 5 times in the 90s to about 2005. Sometimes I really enjoyed the skiing bit and nearly always liked the social side. It was the hassle, kit, hanging around in the cold, falling over more than the kids, various aches and pains and never being able to find comfortable ski boots that did for me ultimately. The wife and one or other, sometimes both, of the kids still go nearly every year.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  14. Uber_Hoop

Isn’t that kind of a contradiction, though, Stan? If nationality is plastic, how can one take pleasure in somebody winning a medal for ‘your’ country? I think if we’re to have international competition then we may as well have some form of qualification for those wishing to represent a particular nation; otherwise what’s the bleedin’ point?

I dunno what this qualification ought to be, but I would like it if it at least stipulated that the subject should have been born here, lives here and pay taxes here. How naive and idealistic am I, huh?

kiwiqpr, Stroller and Steelmonkey like this.
  15. Uber_Hoop

I’ve grown to dislike the snobbery associated with them what ski at this time of the year, most of whom (of my acquaintance) are debt-ridden wannabes. I’ve never had the desire to try it, partly because of this and partly because I have the balance of Heather Mills when the death watch beetles are in town.

Deleted....... and kiwiqpr like this.
  16. Lawrence Jacoby

Lawrence Jacoby Well-Known Member

Been watching it a lot but have to remove the BBC sound as I am unable to take the tripe

17. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

No French commentary?...

18. Uber_Hoop

Yes, tripe I find hard to stomach.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Wherever likes this.
  19. Eamon Holmes

Eamon Holmes Well-Known Member

Luckily a lot of the live events are mirrored on Eurosport. No Clare bloody Balding on Eurosport!

Lawrence Jacoby likes this.
  20. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Or French!