1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

WHO WILL BE THE NEW MANAGER?

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by DragonPhilljack, Dec 7, 2015.

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Paloschi will be #1 striker , watch this space .
    I think the away fans at West Ham hold a bit of responability for Guidolin getting a contract , nobody can tell me different . Seems like a special event happened there , on and off the pitch . Jenkin's and the board would have taken notice .

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    DragonPhilljack likes this.
  2. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

The fans gave him a good shout roof and you're right it wouldn't have gone unnoticed, but at the end of the day Guidolin has got the results and he deserves the credit.

3. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I was one of those who really did want Guidolin to get the job. Several performances / tactics / substitutions made me think that at a fundamental level he was wrong for the club. However - after the finish we've had and the position we've achieved in the table I must agree that he's deserved a chance to build his team for next season. I'm sure he'll get things wrong in certain games - which manager doesn't - but he has won the right to be given the chance.

Maybe we can all look forward to next season with optimism (well apart from the 'Joma' incident)

However this delay to the takeover may prove to be a headache....

4. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

[I have had 24 hrs for this to sink in now and think about it and no matter how positive I try to be I am still nowhere near convinced by this. I cant help looking back to Monks appointment a couple of tidy results and a couple of tidy performances and he got the job. I just wonder whether this was just the easiest option at the moment in light of everything else that Is going on behind the scenes, with Kit manufacturers, new sponsors and the possible sale/ investment in the club. Looking for another manager with everything else happening would just have been something else to worry about so lets just give it to Guidolin.

I have tried to way up the pro's and con's in my head and still cant convince myself that he is the man to actually takes forward, yes he has achieved some great results and along the way there have been about 2 performances that I have been impressed with, his win ratio is pretty good and he has had half a season now to look at the squad and consider where we go. the team that has performed the best this season (WHU away) was almost forced on him because of the Euros, he didn't pick that side as he thought it would be the best for the job and with out the euros, the side would have been almost identical to the week before.

Then I look at the way we have played against sides with teams that I would not want any of their player as we have a better squad and they have outplayed us and not just once on several occasions and yet we managed to get the result. His substitutions are just the same every Saturday if we are winning and the same if we are loosing and am not sure about them. I look at the negative anti football we play on times but then I suppose again the results justify it. I have also been advised that the goalkeeper coaches is the one doing the defensive set piece coaching. which may explain why it is still poor.

I am also worried about how he will do in the transfer market, we just don't know what he will do, he will probably have more to spend than any other Swansea manager before him and if the 8m he spent on a striker is anything to go by then that worries me, I know a lot of you like him, but I have seen nothing to suggest he will score goals roof just my opinion before you have a fit. Will he just go back to average Italian clubs and just bring in average players. Then If we had signed Rodgers his record in the transfer market wasn't to hot.

So all in all I really do not know what I feel about this, whether it is good for the club or not, I am probably leaning to the side of I would have preferred someone else, but can understand why they made the easy option, which may well turn out to be a master stroke and yes I will be happy to eat humble pie if it works.

5. seabreeze

Apparently Jenkins will have last say on transfers come summer , well of course Jenkin's will have last say on transfers . I mean after announcing that it " Isn't the Swansea Way " when Laudrup brought Bony in for 12 million and semi mad about it .....and having Eder and Tabanou delivered to the ranks ....who wouldn't want Jenkin's pulling the transfer strings .
    Huw is a problem now , not a solution . From hiring to firing .....to buying and selling , Jenkin's has turned into a one man show .... With a one fading star rating

swanseaandproud likes this.
  6. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Trundle, this is the strongest we have ever finished a Premier League season, and if we win on Saturday, we will finish in the top 10, not bad for a season where we were almost relegated aye ? At the end of the day given what he has achieved under such adversity, it would be foolish to let him go, and ponder what might have been..........<ok>

PGFWhite likes this.
  7. seabreeze

Stoke has to lose also for us to get 10th , I think. Edit : yes , if Stoke win they get 10 th no matter what we do .
    But if we win and Stoke draw , 10 th would be ours

8. trundles left foot

Logic says yes, other things say it is right. I have just got this feeling in my stomach where I am still not convinced, I will be if he does it next year.

9. DragonPhilljack

Thanks for the clarity roofer!.............<cheers>

10. DragonPhilljack

I know what you mean about the nagging doubt, mine is about 20%, but it is the right decision whichever way you look at it, and we can only wait and see what next season will bring.............<ok>

trundles left foot likes this.

11. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

We all have had a bit of time to see exactly what Frankie has in store for us, playing wise. Hopefully it won`t be as dreadful has it has been at times since he`s been here. He started with an uphill climb (cyclist reference), so necessity dictated, to a certain extent, how he played the game. Yes, we should have beaten the Toon and we should have put in a better performance against the Champions, but hey ho, we are safe by quite a margin in the end.

I am struck by his humility, as opposed to other managers we could name. "I am not a famous manager and was surprised with the fans singing my name". Let`s hope he gets used to it! Next season will reveal all.

12. trundles left foot

He is very humble and you can not help but like the guy. I still have my doubts but I really want him to succeed.

13. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Totally agree, he's a lovely guy but I completely agree with TLF on this. Can't explain it but as much as I'll get behind him I get this nagging doubt at the back of my mind. I guess it's just those awful, diabolical performances we've seen. The limp displays, the worrying lineups, the crazy substitutions. It's inevitable that some of us refuse to get caught up in the euphoria.

That said, his results have ensured he gets a crack at it and he probably deserves it. Points ratio alone has ensured that. I hope we go out on a high at the weekend and that carries on into next season. If we do, that will go some way to putting our worries to bed. I liked what he said about his next target making sure we don't lose our identity and that we learn from the failures of this season.

Lastly, I see some having their usual go at Jenkins - he's turning into a Marmite character for sure - but it's interesting to note that Guidolin says that Jenkins has always been straight with him and they have a good relationship. He also scotches the idea that Jenkins is behind the idea of the Board signing players. That's the way he's always worked, so that's the end of that.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  14. DragonPhilljack

His humility is not a show for the camera either, I have had a short conversation with Franco down the Langland Brasserie, and he is a true Italian gentleman, real nice guy, and I am pleased for him, it was my pleasure to give him a personal welcome to Wales, and he thanked me in his very humble way, I really do hope he succeeds.

Players worth their salt will bust a gut for this man, I cannot see issues in the dressing room while Franco is in charge........<cheers>

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Kifflom! and seabreeze like this.
  15. Kifflom!

I'm surprised he didn't go straight down the docks and ask if there was ferry going to Brindisi. <laugh>

16. DragonPhilljack

Well he would most definitely have been on a boat back to Italy, if you had said hello, oh hell forget I said that!.............<laugh>

17. Kifflom!

Ciao, bello! :emoticon-0109-kiss:

18. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I am about 50/50 but i think its right that he gets the chance he deserves and i really want him to do well.....Guildo's problem will be Jenkins and his constant interference in team matters....I can see a problem there...

19. DragonPhilljack

Well I can't, as it is how he has operated at other clubs, he doesn't want the responsibility of his transfers not delivering, he prefers the club to make the final call on player transfer, and remember he took time out due to stress in the job, so it fits that he just wants to manage and motivate the squad, and to be fair he will do a good job in my view, considering his very humble approach with players, and I'm sure Curt will enjoy this venture to.........<ok>

20. bluebanana

bluebanana Member

HELLO my old buddy dragonphiljack...when you talk of a real welcome to Franco did it start with.....spare a few coppers for a blind man? :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl: