1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who needs trophies

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Jamrag, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Jamrag

Jamrag Well-Known Member

2. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

content

3. Jamrag

Jamrag Well-Known Member

wheelbarrow

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I got banned from that Website you ****ed off to a while back, for quoting Dennis Bergkamp:

'Do you really like Arsenal, or just Arsenal with trophies'

5. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Nice video, Shame it took a bloke from Manchester United to say it though.

But he came through at United when they were building their legacy. He knows first hand that you don't get to the top so easily.

6. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Your 05/06 and 07/08 teams were incredibly gifted to be fair. Probably the best sides I've seen along with our 07/08 team to go trophyless.

Trophies aren't the be all and end all, they are just a bonus. Those that understand that will get more enjoyment out of watching and supporting a football team than those that don't.

7. UnitedinRed

UnitedinRed Well-Known Member

When you are a club like Arsenal trophies are most definitely the be all and end all.

You do know we are talking about one of the biggest football clubs on earth don't you, not some club like Watford or Barnsley.

I'm talking from the clubs perspective here btw. I feel you may be referring to a supporters view point. Even then I would disagree. I doubt many Arsenal fans have enjoyed the last 7 years or so as much as they did the 7 years before.

8. TheOXOCube:5pur2

TheOXOCube:5pur2 Pride of North London

You don't support a club no matter how big for the trophies. You do it for the joy, the passion and the memories. Trophies are part of that but only a piece.

9. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

It isn't a question of enjoying it more without trophies, it is a question of not needing trophies to enjoy it.

The waning of support for Liverpool as their trophy chances have slowly receded shows that their fans needed to win trophies. Meanwhile support for Arsenal over the "drought" has actually increased.

Manchester United's support did not drop significantly during their trophy drought, and most older (real) United fans understand Arsenal fans when they talk about this.

10. UnitedinRed

I don't disagree however the entire aim of the game from the very bottom to the very top is to win.

Without the desire to win there is no football. there is no Arsenal, no Man Utd, No Chelsea, No Barcelona. It would be pointless.

Its not the ****ing school yard, taking part doesn't count for anything.

Still, no Arsenal fan ever will say they have enjoyed the last 7 years over the 7 years before. Which is my point, you dont need trophis to enjoy the game but you will enjoy the times when you were successful more.

Look at Wigan. Whats the highlight of their existence? A trophy and promotion to the Premier League ( equal to a trophy really ).

11. UnitedinRed

Competing is whats enjoyable. nobody wants to watch a team who dont care and have given up. Even if you are midtable and have nothing to play for you should be giving it your all.

One of the most embarrassing things I have seen in football was Blackburn rovers a few years ago. Completely given up during a game. Wouldnt even try get the ball off us. Pathetic!

Liverpools support has dropped as their core fan base is made up of people who became fans in the 80's but are now 40 year old bitters who claim football is **** and that we should bring back the days of GBH football played by fat pissheads.

12. Jamrag

Jamrag Well-Known Member

The entire aim of being a fan is to enjoy watching your team play. I don't have to watch them in a cup final to enjoy a game. I am a supporter, not a glory hunter :)

13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

spot on <ok>

14. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

we need football back in our lives

15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Really nice video, noticed that Van Persie fellow never managed to score for you <whistle> but being serious, watching people like Berkamp, pires, Freddie and Henrie just reminded me of the quality that Arsenal have always had in their team. You should be proud of the football you play and the enjoyment it brings.

16. Batmoanu

Batmoanu Member

That quote is fake.

17. Batmoanu

Batmoanu Member

Van Persie is a very important part of our recent history, it really annoys me how he was completely excluded from that video. It seems to have gone viral on twitter which I don't understand, there is a far better, longer version on youtube which blows it out of the water. Also it doesn't have those annoying speeches from G-Nev and Wenger at the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivZtz5tBe8A

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Says who ?

19. Batmoanu

Batmoanu Member

Can you prove to me that it's real?

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

That's not what I asked. Who says it's fake ?