1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What would you do

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Yorkiegit26, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Yorkiegit26

Yorkiegit26 Member

If you were ME what would you do?

Would you stick with PH with fingers crossed?
    Would you bite the bullet and admit the gamble has not worked out and get rid?

If he sticks with PH I cant see him throwing more money at him in January, and why would he, so he sticks with it and prepare for life in league 1 and all the financial problems that will occur

If he lets PH go now he would have to bring in an experienced championship manager to try and sort this mess out, (the problem is what manager would want to come to a free falling club such as ours.)

Time wise, now would be an ideal time for a new manager (leave it much longer then it might be too late) as it would allow the new guy a couple of months to assess the players before the next window But any new manager would want guarantees about a sizable transfer kitty

Would ME be prepared to change his stance and employ a new manager with the promise of a few million to create new team(have my doubts on that)

Or would he say that's enough I'm outa here!

What would you do?

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

If I were ME I would sack him and appoint Burley / Butcher, but then again I would have gone with them in the summer.

I like Paul Hurst but we still don’t look like scoring and he has had time to address this now. Some of the decisions look to be random and hot headed and not the result of a well thought out plan.

Unfortunately every single game from now on makes it that much harder for whoever came in to keep us up so for that reason I think the time has to be now before the break so whoever it is has a bit of time to work with them.

I don’t think everything is wrong and I don’t think we are a million miles away but I have lost confidence that Hurst can see how to fix it because we haven’t done anything to solve the key issue that was obvious to everyone against Blackburn.

Also forget a transfer kitty. That ain’t happening and if it was he should have given it to Hurst in the summer.

3. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Tricky one - I'm not a fan of hiring and firing managers quickly, as you need stability in a club - on and off the pitch.
    I would personally give it until early November, after the Reading game.
    As some of stated on here, we're not a million miles away from playing decent stuff, and we are only one win away from safety.

We have the likes of Millwall, Preston, QPR, Reading coming up - who are all beatable (i suppose so were Rotherham Bolton and Exeter).
    If we haven't got a couple of wins by then, then unfortunately it could be time to call it a day and get big Sam in til the end of the season.
    Hopefully we could have a few players back from injury/suspension by then, which could help.

First and foremost though, PH needs to change the first XI pronto - Sears and Dozzell surely need to start on Saturday. If he picks the same team again, then i will be a very unhappy individual.

I don't expect to get anything out of the Swansea game, but at least make it difficult for them, and go for the win.

4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

If I was Marcus Evans, the first thing I'd do is take a long look at myself in the mirror and wonder if I should be running this football club.

The man has overseen over a decade of mediocrity and stagnation, with one failed play off season to show for it. Evans has hired some of the worst managers in our history. He routinely sells off our best players for massive profits which rarely get put back into the club. When he does give funds to managers for players, he has a knack of giving that money to the most inept managers to squander. He has failed to implement any meaningful long-term plan or philosophy at this club, and the 'five point plan' he cooked up last season has been largely ignored since. He has only ever given one in-house interview to supporters and has been responsible for driving a disconnect between club and the fans. He falsely claims to put £6 million into the club a year, but financial analysis by Swiss Ramble from the club accounts revealed he puts approximately £400k a year into the club. Ultimately, we are associated with a nefarious tax evader who has a standing arrest warrant in Brazil, and somebody whose company has been blacklisted by FIFA, UEFA, and the rugby union governing body.

Keeping Mick McCarthy past his expiry date managed to conveniently draw most of the frustration and anger away from the owner. Now he doesn't have that shield, some supporters are still choosing to fully blame Hurst (a man who has been here for a few months) for the club's long-term decline. I'm of the belief that this season is the culmination of years of financial mismanagement, crippling austerity, a focus on short-term survival over long-term planning, and a complete lack of ambition from the board room that seeps down to management and the players. I hope Evans either sells up or starts treating this football club and supporters with the respect and seriousness it deserves. But he won't. The man is out for profit and monetary gain.

As for Hurst, I feel sorry for the guy. He probably came here expecting a friendly, upwardly-mobile, and ambitious club, but has found the complete opposite. I thought the troubles were either due to the wholesale changes made in the summer (of which he had little say in the matter) and the sustained decline of quality around the club or down to the manager being out of his depth in this division, buying unproven players, making strange tactical and selection decisions, and ignoring the youth. I'm increasingly of the opinion that both theories are true and we are best off hoping both the owner and the manager get out of this club and we restore some pride and ambition to the place.

5. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Hurst out. Absolutely needs to go, and go now.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  6. Westlake33

I thought we had to wait 15 games, give it time? I got pelters not long ago for doing a Hurst OUT article. What's changed? I got told to ' get a life ' after 9 games. Now it's 11, and you also want him gone!!!

Also, Hurst got more in one window than Mick got in 5.5 years.

He got a decent enough budget to do better than this, and unfortunately, as blown it.

7. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Point of Order: Hurst hasn't spent any more money that we haven't recouped in player sales this summer.. Therefore we have a transfer surplus.
    Basic math: £10m income, £5m spend. (fairly accurate figures)

Similar sort of ratios that Mick had to deal with, only difference is Mick would probably kept hold of one of Garner or Waghorn and not overseen such a large turnover in one window.

8. Westlake33

Well if we're going down that road, Mick sold Mings for what £8 mill 2014/15.

We spent £300k on Knudsen for 2015/16 and a little on Polish Pete.

Just in my view Mick was never given 20p to spend - but hey ho there we go that's life and up to Evans how he wants to play it really.

Nuggets likes this.
  9. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

My Benchmark is still Halloween, however I've pretty much lost all confidence that there will be a lasting turnaround.

This is largely because I'm sure that under Keane at this point we were not holding on to winning positions more than not looking remotely like a winning side. This time around it all feels very panicked.

Currently I fear whatever the next step is.

Sack Hurst and we'll end up with McCarthy point 2
    Stick with Hurst we'll probably be playing league 1 next season.

Westlake33 likes this.
  10. Westlake33

That in a nutshell on Keane Mike.

We had a far better side back then in a division with less £££ and worse opponents. I wasn't remotely concerned under Keane we'd go down - that might sound laughable / and I despised him but I had a feeling with one win - we might be able to do something.

This squad / gafa is a horrific combination.

11. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Hurst seems lost with what to do now.

We actually looked the best at the start of the season when Bart was starting attacks from the back. I could see that we were attempting to employ the press as a style and although it wasn't quite working out I thought to myself that if we stuck with it then we would improve. Since results have eluded us Hurst has given up on the press and resorted to long ball hit and hope but without having anybody up front to help hold the ball whilst the midfield catches up.
    His insistence on continually changing smacks of desperation and the players are more than likely losing faith in their manager to lead them. He has publicly name checked players for bad games and the more senior players are probably annoyed with his fitness over technique training style.

Personally I believe football should be played by moving the ball and not by running around a lot. If you pass and move you don't have to be super fit because you are only running a few yards at a time whilst getting the ball to do the travelling. Ball retention will also help alleviate the need to chase it down all the time. Gerken's goal kicks are atrocious and they go out of bounds too often to count. I said it a couple of days ago, we give the ball away too often to win games.

Chambers, Skuse and Knudsen are guilty of passing the ball to each other and then lumping it forward when they get closed down. The lads that were here before Hurst came in are the one constant that lead to our poor build up play. I know it's easy to point the finger in their direction but it's pretty obvious that Ward, Skuse, Chambers and Knudsen don't offer anything positive to our play and it can't continue. A CDM doesn't have to just stay in front of the back four, just recognise when you can get forward and when to stay. Dozzell should start the next game and if he tires out then replace him. Sears to start up top with Jackson and drop a bloody defensive midfielder FFS, you're not scaring anybody in the league with the squad you keep putting out and it just allows teams to attack us at will and leave one defender back to cover Jackson.

I so want it to work out for Paul, as I do for any manager of our club but he has to decide what he wants the team to do and stick with it instead of constantly changing what is already a new look squad.
    I'd be generous and give him until the Reading game to get us going or sorry lad but it's out the door you go!

Southcoastoldgaffer and Nuggets like this.
  12. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree with all that analysis San Diego.

San Diego likes this.
  13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Evening gents.

Re: transfer money, the Waghorn cash came in too late to reinvest.

Re: What's changed?

I now don't believe we will pick up enough points after 15 games to be out of the bottom three.

14. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I don’t see the point of sacking hurst. It’s his players that he brought in and a new manager would have to wait until Jan to change anything. Also MM was given 5 years, PH has had 11 games. In respect to who had more money to spend, i believe its much closer than people think as although MM brought in a lot of free transfers, they would have been on far higher salaries than the players from the lower leagues that hurst has bought

itfcptc and Bigalreigned like this.
  15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I think we are looking at a League One campaign next season if there's not a change.

16. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

I think Hurst is stuck in a cycle of fixing problems relevant only to the previous game, and seems desperate to show he can change and adapt using the whole squad. That translates into a really disruptive approach to picking the first 11. It is something I still believe will be resolved once we do win. But I'm concerned that the changes always seem to be take out the best bits.

In answer to the original question, if I was ME I would stick with Hurst for now but be on the lookout for someone to give Hurst some support

17. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

Steve Bruce..... anyone? I’d have him

Westlake33 likes this.
  18. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I don't think we've got much choice but to stick with Hurst.

We sacked Mick wanted a young manager who's earnt his reward. Despite the obvious concerns you can't sack a manager after 11 games. He's lost some big players from a squad which has struggled for 2 seasons.

We could of stuck with Mick for another 5 years but we decided to twist and now we have to accept the consequences of what was meant to be a long term project....

Reading this post back I could've quite easily been talking about Brexit <laugh>

19. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

The thing is,would he fancy y̶o̶u̶ us?!

Castro Sito likes this.
  20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I've already had him. Nothing to write home about.