1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What we have lost today

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Schad, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

At 3pm, we were six points clear of third with a goal differential advantage of +14, and seven games remaining.
    At 7:20pm, we are six points clear of third with a goal differential advantage of +13, and six games remaining.

What have we lost? An opportunity, certainly, but we've ceded no real ground. Another game in the books, another game closer to the finish line with our margin untouched. Don't. Panic.

2. RLSGM

RLSGM Member

Would have been good to play some nice football, it isnt often we get games on prime time tv! Really isnt what we're used to seeing at all.. But i'm sure Nige will already be concentrating on smashing Pompey next weekend!

3. YoshidaBattlesPinkRobots

YoshidaBattlesPinkRobots Active Member

Very good point. Need to hammer Pompey now though. We can only afford two more blips, none if we want to win the league.

Some of the posts on here are embarrassing - even Claridge just said we'll win the league

4. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We needed 13 points to secure promotion at 3pm today. We now need 12 points. We're a step closer to the Premier League.

West Ham had 7 games to try and get 7 points over us at 3pm today. West Ham now have 6 games to try and get 7 points over us. We're a step closer to the Premier League.

5. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

No spunk, no guts, no courage, no fight, no pride, no shame, no points.

Cortese must have realised today that a great deal of money will need to be spent on players if we are to have a snowball's chance in hell of surviving in the PL. With this lot we will just emulate that crap Derby showing of a few years ago. Relegation with an embarrassingly low points tally.

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

At last a sensible thread.

7. Pilki01

Pilki01 Member

All good points above however we can't get away from the fact that was probably the worst performance of the season. Worrying coming at this stage of the season. Pompey is now a must win.

8. Pilki01

Pilki01 Member

Let's get there first, eh?

9. YoshidaBattlesPinkRobots

YoshidaBattlesPinkRobots Active Member

And thank fook the Pompey game won't be televised. I always get my mates together when we're on TV promising goals and fast-flowing possession football, but we're almost always abysmal. What pisses me off as well is pundits/people who text in to BBC live text etc. watching one game and forming instant opinions about us as a team and individual players.

Both Blackpool games, Leeds away, Leicester and Reading were some of our worst performances this season... do you think the players get nervous or something?

10. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

On some level I can understand it, but people need to retain perspective here...the luxury of the position we've placed ourselves in is such that, unlike last year, we can afford a bad game. West Ham is reeling and they have several tough games upcoming; there's simply no reason to see our first league loss in over two months as a sure sign that we're in collapse.

11. fatletiss

Godders you have disappointed me. We lost and played badly. Get a grip fella or did you drink all that bottle of wine on your own.

What about the team that battered Leeds in the home game? What about the team that battled a one nil victory agaisnt that horribly physical West Ham team? What about the team that battered Brum 4-1 (just dropped out the prem)?

Would those teams do a Derby?

12. sotonstu

sotonstu Member

Wow godders just slit ur wrists now ffs the last time we played this poor was on tv at home to leicester. move on to the next this thread summarises our position perfectly.

13. fatletiss

Realistically West Ham need to win 6 out of 6 and we then need to lose 3.

14. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

It was around this time last season that Norwich went to Swansea in the league. It was shown live on BBC, and Norwich got thumped 3-0. Ring any bells?

From memory, I think Norwich recovered and still got promoted any way.

15. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Last time that we were without Lambert too, if I'm not mistaken.

16. sotonstu

sotonstu Member

Not hiding from it lambert is a big part of how we play but we have performed well without him before but have equally done as bad when he has been missing

17. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Agreed, promotion has got closer.

However, Reading can now win on Friday and go top, leaving us needing to avoid defeat vs Pompey, derbies are a law unto themselves.

I had us down to lose this and drop more points in the run-in, and still to finish 1st. Panic not ;-)

Onwards and Upwards I guess.

18. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Who are you, and what have you done with St Godders? <laugh>

19. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I don't get it. We lost 3-0. I am still singing (to my dogs) "we are Southampton, We're top of the league".

Maybe I've got used to the 'New Southampton'. We bounce back. We always do. AND we have a six point cushion to do it (7 really, though we can't keep loosing 3-0).

We have to match West Ham for 3.5 games, then we are up. simple.

I am not counting any chickens, but if I were a betting man.... (maybe I am!)

Come on, cheer up. We are top, we play our biggest rivals (in distance not skill!) next week and we may be in the PREMIER LEAGUE in 3-4 games!!!!

Great time to be a fan, ignore the blip, it's over - move on to the next!

COYR

20. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

My dog is still howling at the bottom of the garden and is afraid to come back inside the house.