1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

West Brom

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle with both Stan and Fabregas.Firstly Stan, I believe over time has been writing more outrageous things because originally he got a bite, then took it on further, and got a bigger bite. Hopefully a bit of moderation all round will be useful as everyone has made their points and there are more issues than individuals to talk about. Stan used to write really good stuff about upcoming games that got the site lit up, and I for one miss that.
    Fabregas is, as Bristol says, a winner of pretty much everything. My opinion is , with the right formation and players around him he gives us an incredible amount of skill, penetration and opportunities and is still absolutely top drawer. In other formations, his lack of pace is exposed and he is not at all effective. That pretty much makes him the same as every other person playing the game.

BobbyD likes this.
  2. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

Stan is a great ‘fisherman’ and he gets a few bites on every thread. I remember years ago when Glenn Hoddle was playing for the Spuds and people used to accuse him of being lazy. There would often be a moment of magic from him when he’d score from 40 yards. I was so glad when he came here and became manager just as I’m glad that Fàbregas is here with his deft touches and goal assists that are very often world class.

3. chelsea - over 100 years of history

With Fabregas, there are plenty of players you can bring in to do his leg work for him. Very few players out there though who could replace his passing ability and assists record. Only De Bruyne is in his league in the P.L atm.

Stan would happily have about 5 Kante's in the midfield. And we'd barely score a goal.

Does anyone think Pirlo had legs? Especially in his later years. He seemed to do ok though with other more mobile mids around him.....

4. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Yes Pirlo did used to have legs. Not during the latter years at Juventus but Pirlo always has had more legs than Fabregas (see euro 2006 when he bossed the midfield). Pirlo could hold his own, whether that was dribbling past someone or defending 1 on 1 against a midfielder.

As for Fab, yes his passing is generally on song, however he is very much an Ozil-esque player. If you don't set the team up correct for Fab, then ineivitably, all his good stuff will get cancelled out when we are too soft - pretty much the same criticisms of Ozil. He needs the people to do the bulk of the defensive work for him and he needs the right mixture up top to get the best of his passing.

This isn't a i want Fab out of the team but if we ever play 2 in the middle against a top side, i would never want Fabregas a part of it. At most, if we have him in the 2, it should be up against a weak side who do not want to attack.

Yes he's a world cup winner and euro winner. However, this is pretty much a false statement as he only played about 45 mins in the whole tournament. He's never been a regular for the spain title winning teams. It's as genuine as saying Asmir Begovic is a PL winning keeper.

StanDMan likes this.
  5. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Even if we play 3 in middle unless we play Baggies every week like we did last 2 weeks - I won't go with Cescy.

I will start him once in 15 days, just like last season. I don't buy that we dont have replacements.

If Alonso starts against our old boy this weekend, we are toast. Can't blame Qarabg and repeat gutless city perf of 0-1

Stick Azpi on Mo on left. We have good hope.