1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wembley until new year 2019

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Aug 13, 2018.

1. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

It’s all a mess.

I thought the club had Wembley sorted as a backup just in case. It seems beyond ridiculous that they wouldn’t have a plan B.

2. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Play at Hotspur way behind closed doors.

3. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Alternatively, please our American cousins and play it in San Diego or similar.

4. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

I blame a Chris Cowlin. He said it would be ready in time God dammit!! :emoticon-0121-angry

5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

If you want to call comments "moronic" then you really should tell the rest of the class how you somehow turned the following comment...
    So if The FA want to witter on about the "integrity" of the league as an excuse for not switching the fixture, they should also explain why there was forty days between Spurs' home league fixtures last season. Because how much "integrity" does a fixture list have if Spurs can go over a month without a home league fixture without The FA having anything to say on the matter, yet when The Sheikh Mansour Team face the possibility of going three weeks without one it's the biggest injustice in football since they allowed Sheffield Wednesday to host matches for a decade in spite of their stadium not having a valid safety certificate?
    ...into...
    No the comment that people are comparing it to Hillsborough not having a safety certificate.
    ...when there's no obvious link between Exhibit A and Exhibit B.

The fact is that The FA's stance is completely ludicrous because wittering on about the "integrity" of the fixture list is a complete farce, a farce underlined by how there wasn't a peep from The FA last season when Spurs had a forty-day gap between home league fixtures, just as there wasn't a peep at the ridiculousness of Rochdale having to play ten league games in 37 days last season (a situation which happened to be created by The FA's own cup competition, by the way) yet when The Sheikh Mansour team have to face a fixture list that's nothing like either of those it's like the sky is falling down. As I said earlier, it's pretty clear that the real issue is the game is televised, and The FA don't have the stones to suggest moving the match to a Saturday 3pm kickoff in case Sky/BT get shirty.

You know what other comment looks moronic? Your repeatedly blaming Spurs for the stadium day when, unless you have actual proof of Toby Alderweireld on site, you have to concede that the responsibility falls either on stadium construction firm Mace or (and this is a hypothetical) anyone they subcontracted the job of the fire safety system to. Trying to say Spurs are solely responsible is like saying a team should have a points deducted for failing to fulfill a fixture due to having a waterlogged pitch.

paultheplug likes this.
  6. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes. That's exactly what happened when you created a bomb scare at Old Trafford two years ago.

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Which sums up the hypocrisy of the situation extremely well.

You want to use more than one home ground this season, due to a construction **** up? Disgraceful!
    While we're talking though, how would you like to play a 39th game in America, Asia or the Middle East?

deedub93 likes this.
  8. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Even at NWHL without fans.

After all, financially don't need fans at the ground.
    And it won't put fans in danger.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  9. humanbeingincroydon

And let's not forget the time Man Utd caused inconvenience for several hundred clubs at the same time because they were double-booked for the FA Cup third round...

10. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

1) would have thought using the term incompetent is a bit harsh when it comes to a safety issue due to electrical/ computer issues

2) If it is incompetent then surely it is the construction company that are incompetent not Spurs.

I seem to remember united having their last match of the season postponed due to safety reasons after a company employed to do evacuation training at OT left a fake bomb on site. Were united or the company incompetent in that case?

The premier league have strict rules about ALL final matches of the season having to take place at ghe same time but for very obvious reasons these were rightly wavered.

People are being deliberately obtuse about this in my opinion

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Where are am I blaming Spurs? These things happen and it's not always a blame game. I just asked why City should suffer for your delay. And it is your delay, regardless of blame, that's a fact. Haven't Wembley veto'd the Saturday as not leaving them enough prep time for the NFL?

I note you're still ignoring the fact that you weren't scheduled 3 away games in a row, but rather they came about due to you progressing in cup competitions. Surely you can see the difference?

So there's no obvious link between:

and

Okay doke...

BobbyD and Diego like this.
  12. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Forgot about the Utd incident. Imo that was a serous gaff and much more embarrassing than a new stadium being delayed.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  13. humanbeingincroydon

Here, here and here. It's not our delay, just as a match being postponed due to a waterlogged pitch isn't the fault of the waterlogee, it's a third party who is at fault - namely Mace, or the hypothetical third party responsible for the fire safety system not being up to standard.

And once again, The Sheikh Mansour Team wouldn't "suffer" because all this talk of the "integrity" of the fixture list is complete and utter bollocks on The FA's part considering how often teams have a stretch of away games every single season, yet when Spurs had to go forty days without a home league game last season where was the talk of the "integrity" of the fixture list? Where was the hand-wringing about a team in contention for Champions League qualification not playing a home league game for over a month? There wasn't any, and if you can't accept that's a blatant double standard there's no helping you.

And, no, there is no direct link between me saying one thing and you saying something that bears no relation to what I said. Glad to clear that up for you.

14. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

It's the issue of rearranging one ****ing fixture. I'm gonna end up playing my OAP card. When there used to be really harsh winters and endless FA Cup replays, you could be rearranging fixtures from January until May. Clubs just got on with it. It's an inconvenience but the other year a CL game was rearranged inside 24 hours. Nobody complained then. If you have to do it, you just get on with it.

Citeh have got a ****ing nerve, if you ask me. They know this isn't of Tottenham's making and they have no control over whether the problem occurred or whether it's sorted in time. Spurs had a contingency plan for games apart from this one, due to Wembley being double booked. I don't know what they expect us to do....... I should imagine anything other than forfeiting the match will meet with their disapproval. I'm fine with playing the game at MK's stadium or behind closed doors or whatever......but I'm getting the feeling those options won't suit Citeh either.

We shall see whether Scudamore is worth his salary in sorting out something appropriate so that the game can go ahead...........I'm not optimistic.

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Can we hire the City of Manchester Stadium from the council?

deedub93 likes this.
  16. humanbeingincroydon

The obvious suggestion is that, if The FA refuse to budge and keep parroting their ludicrous "integrity" line in spite of it clearly being an utter joke, there's one thing the club should do: UNLEASH THE LAWYERS.

Besides, it's a bit rich for The FA to harp on about "integrity" when one of their employees has a reputation for giving a dog a bone...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  17. perrymanlegend

perrymanlegend Well-Known Member

Update on the first CL group match and the League cup
    https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/ne...up-games/?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

We have agreed with UEFA that the first home matchday of this season’s Champions League group stage, scheduled on either matchday one (week commencing 17 September) or matchday two (week commencing 1 October), will be staged at Wembley Stadium.

Both matchdays are due to take place between our two Premier League home fixtures against Liverpool (Saturday 15 September) and Cardiff City (Saturday 6 October), which we confirmed last week had been switched to Wembley.

As a further update, should we be drawn at home in Round Three of the Carabao Cup (week commencing 24 September), then we can apply for special dispensation from the EFL board to reverse the fixture or play at a neutral venue as both our new stadium and Wembley are unavailable during this week.

Gold Season Ticket holders registered for the Automatic cup ticketing scheme are advised that this only operates for cup ties played at the new stadium. Therefore, the scheme will not operate for either of the above fixtures and tickets can be purchased individually.

18. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Not quite sure what you are proposing here? For the sake of rearranging 1 fixture are you seriously suggesting we should forfeit the game? If not, what's the solution. You think the FA will be against playing at 3 venues, you don't want City to be inconvenienced, but I'm not seeing an actual way forward?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  19. humanbeingincroydon

It somehow hasn't occurred to them that, as The Sheikh Mansour Team are the ones who are umming and ahhing and kvetching about the injustice of playing three away league games in a row (even though that's a regular occurrence for most teams) wouldn't they be the team forfeiting the fixture?

20. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

If I have a vote, that is certainly the option I'd put an X next to.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.