1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Welcome Saint Sam

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintinNZ, Jul 30, 2018.

1. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Think I'll wait for the start of the season and see whether or not the professionals actually select him before deciding that he's 4th choice.

If they do select him, I'll give him every good wish and hope he gets a goal. If not, he'll get his chance by January based on the last 2 years.

Archers Road likes this.
  2. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I'll wish him well, too. I just don't see it as being likely that he'll even make the bench with regularity.

And what we need is not a striker who'll get his chance in four months when everyone else fails. We need a striker who is demonstrably good at striker things, and Gallagher needs to play regularly. We are not a team crying out for a fourth-string striker.

Libby, fatletiss and SaintinNZ like this.
  3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Yes, but you thought of me first :emoticon-0111-blush Take that, Helen:emoticon-0136-giggl

4. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

He was thinking alphabetically, don't get excited <laugh>

fatletiss likes this.
  5. fran-MLs little camera

That is your interpretation:mad:

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I love you RJ

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  7. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

Wheter a player stays or not in the club is never as simple as that and you know it.

Archers Road likes this.
  8. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

Well professionals decided to spend 20 milions to buy Carillo and no internet random would ever done that, so...

fatletiss and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  9. fran-MLs little camera

If Saints listened to fans we'd have signed every available footballer, especially those just signed by other teams (when they become notably more attractive).

10. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Indeed! I didn't say that I believe that the decisions of the professionals are unimpeachable, but rather that I understand why some place more emphasis on their opinions. That decision however was absolutely indefensible from the moment it was made.

11. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

It was, to be fair, probably made at the urging of Pellegrino.

12. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Absolutely. That Pellegrino had the ability to urge anyone to get him more than a ham sandwich by that point was pretty indefensible too, heh.

13. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

I don't know. The general sense I got from doing a little lurking on Monaco sites isn't that Carillo sucked so awfully bad. Just that he was not worth anything near what we paid for him. But of course, it was winter season and Saints/Pellegrino were desperate so we got suckered.

I think Carrillo is being loaned out mostly because Hughes doesn't like him and also the board doesn't want to pay his wages. And I'm not sure I trust Hughes' eye for talent. Still, I'm fine with loaning him out under the assumption that we are bringing in someone else who Hughes likes more, and hopefully is better and there's no sense paying Carrillo to sit on the bench.

I just don't like the way he's being dragged into discussions when he is a sunk cost for at least 2018-19. The whole idea of "oh, look what happened with Carrillo we don't want to jump too soon into another purchase" is utter crap. How can people use the board's tremendously ****ty decision as a defense? If Carrillo was that bad a purchase, then the people who made the decision should all be sacked.

It's stupid because it uses a BAD decision to argue that the decision makers are smart. And because you can justify anything with it. Carrillo is a sunk cost, he's not playing for us this year. Assess the decisions based on the new situation. Otherwise it'll just be like "Oh we need a new midfielder. But remember that time we got screwed on Carrillo? That's why we need to [not purchase player X/pay 80m for player Y/buy defender instead]."

Carrillo being horrible, or maybe not being horrible but not worth the money, or being fantastic but not given a chance has no bearing on whether Gallagher can cut the mustard.

14. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Monaco fans kinda liked Carrillo, but it seemed to be as a sort of mascot; he was a willing runner, and he tended to make appearances in games that were petering out, where his energy perked up the team to chase that 5th or 6th goal. Didn't get the sense he'd be missed as an impact player, however.

I fully agree, though, that the fact that we have made bad decisions for big money is not a reason to stop trying to buy improvements. It's a reason to make better decisions. If we're resigned to making a lot of bad decisions, our position in the PL is ultimately untenable.

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

It's very much why we nearly lost it last season.

SaintinNZ likes this.
  16. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

That sounds a bit like Shane Long, we all love the effort he puts in but no one really believes he will actually score

Whiteley Saint likes this.
  17. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

I think it was against Arsenal in one of the first games that Sam played in, he fluffed a glorious chance. If that had gone in so many things could have been different

18. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Even by his wife. Not like that you dirty minded person. his wife was interviewed after his strike against germany, and she admitted to screaming don`t miss, don`t miss, please don,t miss

Archers Road likes this.
  19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Regardless, I love Shane <ok>