1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Weekender

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This weekend something easy to answer....... maybe.

As we have yet another International break at a time when Leeds Utd have had a great month and don’t look out of place in the Premier league. Maybe its time to ask fans what they think about this squad.? I believe we have a brilliant manager/coach who is right up there with the very best there’s ever been. I include Don Revie in this, and in today’s situation Pep is regarded as the best, yet last week he was out-thought and out-maneuvered, but that’s no surprise to pep as he regards Bielsa as the master.

I look at this squad of mainly mid-table Championship players who are now mixing it with the best in the world and then factor in some top end International players and I believe this is probably the best squad of players we’ve had for many a year.

How does it compare in your eyes to the squads of David O’Leary, Howard Wilkinson and of course the late great Don Revie. Yes different times, different fitness levels, different diets, different psychologies but the ultimate aim is to get a ball into the opposition goals more than they do to you.

2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Some of them haven't played yet so how can anyone assess them?<doh>

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Put you down as not having a very good squad then. Thanks for that

OLOF likes this.
  4. Eireleeds1

Not at all. Lots of revies lads played 500 plus games so impossible for me personally to compare some lads that have barely kicked a ball in England yet. Hope they finish up even better

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

When was the last time we had so many players away on International duty, even young Alfie out on loan was part of the full NI squad. We had 3 kids with the England U19 squad as well. But first teamers was 7 I believe. llorente got MoM against Portugal with Rodrigo turning in an electric performance. The only player not seen yet is Raphinha

6. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Revie put together the most talented bunch. They were consistently the best in England/Europe for 10 years. That squad will take some topping.

O'Leary did well with a lot of players who didn't go on and achieve elsewhere. Must say something about him. Very short lived though.

Wilkinson was a kind of middle man. He got the most out of that team. He had a system, filled it with players who did well within it. The backpass rule screwed that team up. Wilko is very underrated. O'Leary wouldn't have had the players if it wasn't for him.

Bielsa looks the best tactician and plays the most attractive football I would say. Hopefully we get a few more seasons out of him but I would say it looks better than O'Learys lot.

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Great shout that Emu and we soon forget that Sgt Wilko with Paul Hart built the blueprint for football academies which DoL Took full advantage of :emoticon-0148-yes:

8. Eireleeds1

Adding to the difficulty in comparing eras, technological improvements has immeasurably improved sports, golf tennis football etc. Computerised monitoring of every move by teams of physios and fair play, it’s great to see. Revies era was about lads drinking and smoking after training

9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Mentioned this before but played against Leeds Utd back in the 70s in Hong Kong in a competition with Hong Kong Ranger and Man Utd. Frank Worthington was facing me in the centre circle about to kick off and he had a cig in his hand. Brilliant.

10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

In the area if golf mate yes we can now hit a drive 300 yards because of shaft technology and club manufacture, but have you ever tried to hit an old nibblet or driving iron? Can guarantee you couldn't do it as it took skill and technique along with timing. Can you remember the skill of some of Revies boys with a wet leather football weighing the same as a medicine ball, could players today do what Eddie Gray did to Burnley or Southampton. Or Elland Road pitch in November which was sanded and waterlogged before we put drainage and then underground heating in. We then used turf technology to get a pitch thats green all year. I dont think you can make a difference as the cream will always find a way to succeed. Yes I can hit some great golf shots and use expensive Muira irons but I would never be able to beat some of the old blokes with their 4 irons in a pencil carry bag. I think Raphinha would have compared well to Eddie Gray back in the day. Afterall hes Brazilian and they learn on a beach dont they <laugh>

OLOF, FORZA LEEDS and Whitejock like this.

11. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Imagine the turmoil we'd be in now if we hadn't got promoted?

All the clubs in the Championship, especially the ones splashing out must be bricking it...

Doc likes this.
  12. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

glad he showed you some respect doc... if not he’d have had a pint in the other hand

OLOF likes this.
  13. lifecheshirewhite

Think the present team would probably beat the Revie era team, much slower in them days, with pitches a quagmire half the time.

14. Eireleeds1

And they’re 50 years younger <ok>

Leedsoflondon, OLOF, Gessa and 3 others like this.
  15. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

It depends which interpretation of the rules were being used.

16. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Depends which pitch the game is on

17. 2020VisionofLeeds

And some are, sadly, dead which never helps anyone’s game

18. 2020VisionofLeeds

I admit to a certain prejudice here but I believe the Revie team was far better, relative to the competition at the time.

whether or not they could match today’s side for fitness, they ran the legs off many opposing teams of their day.

we had half the Scotland team (when that meant something) and most of England’s defence In our starting 11.

Game after game we just dominated, that won’t be the case for our current team - we didn’t dominate Man C, at times quite the reverse.

I also think the Revie team was more potent down either wing. On the left, Eddie G and Cooper could both get past virtually any defender, the penetration they achieved was remarkable. On the right, Maybe the skills were not quite so high level but Reaney was an amazingly fast FB who could get back ultra quickly, and Lorimer had a frighteningly strong shot

Thst said, I’m not adding in the impact of the new signings, as I don’t yet know what that will be.

19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I suppose you could do a man v man comparison but guess the Revie legend would always win. Eddie Gray V Jack Harrison comes out Eddie every time. However we can see a work in progress with improvements season on season with Jack

OLOF and 2020VisionofLeeds like this.
  20. Eireleeds1

I only wish they had made some take us home episodes from the dons days. I’d pay decent money to see fly on the wall stuff about those lads

2020VisionofLeeds and Aski like this.