1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Webber & Farke revolution

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by carrowcanario, Aug 23, 2017.

1. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

reported

2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

IMO, DF is slowly adapting his tactics to the hurly burly of the Championship and he was helped to a fairly large extent of the return to fitness of Klose. It will be interesting to see how GH fits into the defence as well and if (as most of us hope) Martin will ever be in the starting 11 again. An acid test will be when we play at Bramhall Lane next Saturday and I wish I'd got myself a ticket for the visit of Bristol City. We then have a trip to face Boro who are also going well, closely followed by our first appearance in front of the Sky cameras prior to the next International break.

Edit - I know Martin is not singularly responsible for some of our worst defeats, but he has certainly been culpable for us conceding several simple goals in the last few years and he's NOT a captain!!!!!

PS - I forgot the small matter of the opportunity to progress in the Carabao Cup when we visit Brentford on the 19th.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's NOT any longer a competent championship defender, and that for me is the single most important criterion. And from what Timm K said after yesterday's game, he'd have no issues adopting the captain's armband even if it is a temporary arrangement.
    NCFC comes way before Russell Martin, and I'm glad the gaffer can see it too.

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Well said Cromer and those first 8 words should be pinned up on Df's office wall.

I'm sure there was a poll on the EDP as to who our captain should be for this season and I think it was Howson followed by Klose and as JH has gone .....
    IP did a good job yesterday though.

5. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

This is from the BBC Burnley vs Palace preview, but I can think of a team closer to home to who the same words could equally well be applied <ok>

Crystal Palace manager Frank de Boer: "It always takes time, you don't have to panic suddenly.
    "Everybody wants the points but you also have to know what is going on here.

"We think we are doing it the right way, [chairman] Steve [Parish] knows that, the board knows that.
    "I have a positive feeling from what I have seen in training this week. We know it takes time and it is a long-term project we have here."

JM Fan likes this.
  6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Just found this thread from a couple of weeks ago and how things have changed both for ourselves and more importantly for Frank de Boer and Woy doesn't seem to be faring any better with still no wins and no goals scored!!

7. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Was just looking back at this thread and some of my comments.

What a difference a few weeks makes. Not only has Klose stepped up to the mark, but we've also bought Hanley and the penny seems to have finally dropped in relation to Martin. Whilst I don't think Farke has changed his footballing philosophy he does seem to have grasp fairly quickly the nature of the championship and taken a couple of steps back. I expect with time and another transfer window we will continue to move forward.

The last 3 games might not be pretty or as exciting as fans would like and there certainly hasn't been a lot of goals, but the reality is that out of a possible 9 points we've taken 7 and not conceded, that in itself would have been seemed almost impossible a month ago whatever teams we were playing, but those games have all been against teams above us. All this without arguably our best player, Pritchard, who at least when he does return will come back to a much better team than he played in last season.

We now have some thing that we haven't had for a few years now, which is a ressonable balance between experience and developing young talent, although there is still some work to do in this area. Maddison, Steipermann, Trybull & Zimmerman look like fantastic buys, Gunn and Reed great loan signings and for me Watkins, Husband and Murphy are still work in progress. Franke has struggled but I don't think he was ever purchase to lead a CB pairing of him and Zimmerman and I'm sure if he been playing alongside Klose or Hanley he'd have done much better. Anyway when your'e looking for young talent at bargain prices its totally unrealistic to expect all of them to work out.

So for me the revolution is certainly moving in the right direction and a chance of a play-off place no longer seems unattainable although there is still work to do.

8. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Spot on - and he could make a radical difference to the areas of the pitch in which the ball (and therefore, players) spend their time.
    It's almost October, hoping for a progress report on AP soonish <ok>

9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Sorry canario, but you'll be going in RBF's diary as well!! <laugh>
    Edit - hats off to CJ for his performance last night!!

carrowcanario and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  10. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Last we heard the new year is the estimate unfortunately

JM Fan likes this.

11. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Interesting from GG on MFW;

In that now much talked about international break some serious soul searching took place in the corridors of Colney, all in the wake of what I understand was the “riot act” being read by Stuart Webber to Daniel Farke on the touchline of a by then deserted New Den.

Riot acts, eh. A very much needed rocket it would appear and certainly with the best of responses. Next rocket, where are my f#cking goals!

A solid base is seemingly there, lets hope that the goals and perhaps greater hold of the ball will follow. I don't think Farke will be happy until we don't need to defend so much. Keep the ball and dominate games I think is still what he'll want.

Bah!

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that General and whatever was exchanged between SW and DF has certainly had the desired effect in transforming our team and get them playing for each other and being capable of defending a 1-0 lead.
    Edit - I've just seen on Twitter that JM has signed until 2021 - I wonder what those #sufc who were less than impressed with him in 'that' photo think of that!!! <rofl>

13. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Great stuff, if (I said if! after Millwall that would have been inconceivable, more of a when) we miss out on promotion, we'll be able to charge any suiters a small fortune......I'd rather we build a team around him, but if someone waves an enormous paycheck in his general direction at least we'll be able to get top dollar.

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  14. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With both him and Pritchard tied down, hopefully worst case scenario is we have to sell one in order to balance the books. But that would still leave us with an excellent player in that position.

15. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Reversal of fortunes in goals conceded is a great achievement but I am concerned, along with others, that we are not scoring many either. If we can continue to win 1 - 0 in most matches then we will all be encouraged, but this score line leaves a draw a possibility. Would feel more easy if score was, say,
    2 - 0 or better. The role of CJ seems to be join the defensive mid-field if we don't have the ball. When Basil is striker then we seem to play a conventional 4-2-3-1.
    Away to Reading on Saturday will be a good guide as to whether the win 1 - 0 strategy is still in place. Interesting times ahead

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I agree cs and at 1-0, we are only a deflection or whatever from dropping 2 points. I fully expect Basil to be involved at some point on Saturday, but wouldn't be surprised if CJ starts.
    Edit - I expect JM to come in for some 'rough treatment' from the Royals' defenders, so I hope we've got a good referee.

PS - Match referee is Tim Robinson and I wonder if Tettey will get his customary yellow???

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  17. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Brian Clough said that if you were ahead 1-0 you were not winning, you needed that second goal to be winning.

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

He was mistaken

19. DUNCAN DONUTS

“It is better to win ten times 1-0 than to win once 10-0.” – Vahid Halilhodžic

JM Fan likes this.
  20. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

"They're the second best team in the world, and there's no higher praise than that." - KEVIN KEEGAN