1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Watford and the nasty pattern.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ----HistoryRepeating----, Nov 24, 2019.

1. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

We played well yesterday, and were it not for some dreadful final third play should have been out of sight before those ghastly final seven minutes. We should take heart from that performance, and take that enterprising display into our next game against bottom of the table Watford. But we won't. And here's why.

We had Spurs on the ropes, and somehow let them off the hook. Next game we were roundly beaten by Bournemouth. This pattern keeps reoccurring. A good away performance, and shocking home non performance. We scored early against City, and held out resolutely, only to lose the game late on, but still taking credit for a spirited energetic game plan. Then Everton rolled up. You get the picture without me mentioning the Leicester game (spits on floor).

We haven't led for a single minute at home, we look mentally fragile. Drawing away to Arsenal would usually allow me a few days respite before worry & concern set in. But I cannot see a change to this pattern. Saints have now made me mentally weak to boot. Add to that we have to endure all the 3pm's before our game, and it all boils down to a very uncomfortable week.

Might book myself back into the bedwetting rehabilitation centre.
    Farewell.

davecg69 and Archers Road like this.
  2. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

No point HR........What will be will be..........It would be nice if Ralph would maybe put the same team out perhaps and let the players play their natural game just might work. If he loses to Watford I really cannot see him being allowed to stay. If he wins he might last till Christmas.

3. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Actually our final third play was excellent. We just couldn't finish the chances we created.

4. ----HistoryRepeating----

Cedric made me lump it all together. Such a bullshit pass.

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah yesterday means nothing without good performances at home to Watford/Norwich.

I'm pretty confident that after decent performances at Arsenal and City since the Leicester mauling that we'll revert to being dogshit again.

Munson owns Fosse likes this.
  6. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I'm amazed how many people are getting carried away AGAIN after a good performance against one of the top sides. 'If we play like that for the rest of the season we'll be fine'. I've seen that said time after time following one of these games, but we won't perform like that for the rest of the season, it's not going to happen, this performance is not our normal level. That's been shown time after time, and not just this season either. That we performed well away to Arsenal and picked up a point makes me no more confident that we've turned the corner and will start performing like this against the teams around us than the almost point against City, or Spurs.

I hope for some reason this time is different, but I have no expectation that it will be and I expect us to revert to type next time out. I'll be delighted to be proved wrong but I don't see it.

Looking forward to being shouted down for being negative/having a meltdown.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  7. ----HistoryRepeating----

I think you'll be safe on this thread! <laugh>

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

9. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Why dont you just wait and see what happens?

Why are you getting angry about a future that hasn't happened?

We have fit full backs and Djenepo and Boufal fit, anything could happen now.

10. ----HistoryRepeating----

Why dont you just wait and see what happens?
    ------------------

Predicting outcomes is 60% of the forum. Some people are positive, some negative.
    But not getting excited about another false dawn is very much every fans right.
    Me, well I'm just hoping all my concerns are unfounded. But this feels like the pattern.

11. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

No point in a football forum if you're not going to post what you think. And posting what I think has no bearing on what actually happens. Do you say the same to the people predicting that we will win 4 of the next 5? Maybe they shouldn't post that and should just wait and see too.

I'm not angry. I'm using the past as an indicator of the future. Things do change, but I don't expect this time to be any different.

Boufals been fit all season but hasn't played much recently. Djenepo will get us some points from nothing, but he's highly unlikely to save us on his own. Anything could happen in any given game, but I'll believe we've turned the corner when I see it, until then theres nothing to suggest this time is any different from the last good performance against a good side.

......loading...... likes this.
  12. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Cedric's pass to Oba was poop, but he won the ball and created a chance from nothing. It was unfortunate, but harsh to be angry with him.

Djenepo's finishing on the other hand was f*cking awful. On the 93rd minute sitter, his body shape was so wrong. He's great fun, but he is gonna frustrate so much.

One minute he's Pele, the next Ali Dia.

13. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

There will be some empty seats at St. Marys next week, Eastleigh home to Crewe in the FA Cup, kicks off at the same time!

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Surely you can’t mean our “one start saviour” that we’d been missing so much? :)

Libby likes this.
  15. Osvaldorama

I get that, but an even bigger part of football is blind optimism and hope.

I just dont get the moaning this weekend, fair enough after the 9-0, and if we get battered against Watford I'll be the first to moan. But we played well yesterday and were truly unlucky

Le Tissier’s Laces and tomw24 like this.
  16. ----HistoryRepeating----

I get that, but an even bigger part of football is blind optimism and hope.
    ------------------------
    Saintsweb begs to differ........ ;)

17. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's 21 - he's still raw. But the talent is there. We've seen that numerous times.

18. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Sure, but a missed sitter is a missed sitter, and a player deserves to get called out on it just as much as a defender deserves to be called out on a wayward backpass that leads to a goal.

Imagine the fury had it been Shane Long that missed that 93rd minute chance. My word.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  19. Osvaldorama

Yeah and rightly so, Long is our most experienced striker and one of our highest paid players. When he misses chances it's a lot worse

20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

At one point yesterday, I watched Bellerin clearing up on Arsenal’s right, and thought how much we could go with him in place of Cedric. Then Emery substituted Bellerin. Funny old game.