1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Watford and the nasty pattern.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ----HistoryRepeating----, Nov 24, 2019.

1. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree he should have scored, it was a sitter but he's also scored 2 brilliant goals that got us 2 wins.

Archers Road likes this.
  2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Yeah, two worldies and a missed sitter isn’t a bad return

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Means tested footballers now?

4. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Its tough for a player to come on with 10minutes to go and take the first chance that comes his way. Djenepo came on yesterday and was too lightweight, went to ground twice looking for freekicks that didnt happen. He also played a sublime little flick with the outside of his high foot which put boufal through for a clear shot which he fluffed. He generally worked hard and looked good again. He is very quick and unpredictable. He will be a nightmare to play against if we can get some confidence and momentum going. I was really pleased to see Boof come to the touchline looking like he was okay with the subs role and instantly get down to business. Together with DJnipple as my 8 year old calls him they brought our play to life again.

Predicting outcomes is pointless. If we play with heart like that against Watford the fans will be enthused and it could easily go our way. If our ridiculously flimsy defence panics early and we go behind in 10 minutes it could all be over. It really could be either as its finely balanced.

5. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I always hope Saints will improve and win. Doesn't mean I'm going to blindly think it will happen because they played well against a big club again.

I've said we played well yesterday and haven't said anything else about the game. Not even that its disappointing to throw away 2 points in the dying minutes once again. Nor have I moaned about the numerous good chances we missed to put the game to bed. I don't think I've moaned at all actually. I've been negative and projected the past patterns we have seen time and time again onto what I believe is likely to happen again. It may be negative but I don't think it could be construed as moaning.

Libby likes this.
  6. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

I’m actually tempted to go to the Eastleigh game over the Saints one.

7. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Don't worry, I'm definitely a fan, and I know what he's done.

My main point is that he's gonna be equally frustrating as he is enjoyable.

8. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

I am more optimistic this time as Ralph said we have to go back to basics we have forgotten that or something along those lines. We also have a full squad to choose from (providing there were no injuries v Arsenal as we had a few close calls) How many times have we had that this season?

9. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

People disagreeing isn’t being “shouted down”. It’s just people disagreeing.

It’s really peculiar that it’s only ever those proffering a negative opinion that moan about being “shouted down”. I have a very different, and more positive outlook about things than, say, Lincoln Saint, but when he disagrees with me, I don’t think he’s “shouting me down”, I just think he’s wrong.

EDIT: I’m not at all having a pop at you here, RSS, it’s just indicative, as you say, of a pattern. Just on here rather than the football field!

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  10. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Hi LTL, I agree with what you are saying to a point, and I deliberatly chose the words 'shouted down' because I thought it might draw a reaction :angel: which I probably shouldnt have, but sadly that's just the way I'm feeling these days. :emoticon-0147-emo:

I would usually consider myself a realist, as magnanimous (don't think that's the word I wanted to put there but couldn't pluck the right word out) as that may make me sound :emoticon-0126-nerd:. I usually sit on the fence and can see both sides, but I will fully admit that I am more in the negative camp in recent times.

I would also like to add that I think people with negative views are far more likely to have their views/comments questioned than those that post equally opposite positive views. Which, although I know 'some' people too easily take opposition to heart, could lead to some feeling like they are being 'shouted down'. But that's not me and I don't actually feel shouted down when people question my posts. :emoticon-0182-poolp

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.

11. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd say he's going to be more enjoyable.

12. Lambertissier

Lambertissier Well-Known Member

Oh no, we're arguing about what constitutes an argument!! :emoticon-0143-smirk Ps - That was neither a positive, nor a negative reflection on the thread direction

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'm extremely positive about my opinion that we're a bit **** :bandit:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  14. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I find that I have enough problems in real life to get too down over something I have zero influence over. I tend to always look on the bright side of life (I think there could be a song there) anyway, but if it wasn't for negative (real) people, there wouldn't be positive people.

Debate is good for you. I could agree with all the negative remarks, but then we'd both be wrong ;)

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'm too 'meh' about football in general at the moment to be getting too high or low about it. Didn't feel massively excited when I saw we got a point the other day, nor disappointed when i realised we gave away a late goal.

Looking forward to the Newcastle game though.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  16. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

How poorly run our club has become has taken a lot of the enjoyment away, but var is what is really killing football for me. I can't stand the checks, and hate the inconsistencies. It really is ruining football. Its like a key component has been taken away, and there's no going back now.

Lovelocum and Libby like this.
  17. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

I see things slightly less that positive, but not totally negative. I dont complain about being shouted down, after all, I thought this is a forum for lots of debating. So, maybe a slight generalisation.

Some posters here chat a little. Others are mass debaters. It's what makes this place tick.

It's Only A Game, fatletiss and Libby like this.
  18. Libby

Libby 9-0

Well as I've said before, I've been pretty disillusioned with top level football for quite some time now, even when we were reaching cup finals etc. but I do feel that var, and your last sentence in particular, is the final nail for me personally.

It's not the same game anymore.

19. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

When will var start to infest the Championship? Hopefully we get a fun couple of years before that happens.

20. Libby

Libby 9-0

Not sure it will, at least without a rebranding in the future. Who's gonna pay for it?