1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wanyama criticism

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by sharpshooter11, Jul 25, 2013.

1. sharpshooter11

sharpshooter11 New Member

2. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Bit early to say really. But in reality he is part of a unit. His job as I see it is to break up the play and gain possession. If he can't keep possession then he quickly passes it someone who can. He is also clearly going to be useful on set pieces. Looked Ok in his debut performance last night.

Still think he is a bit of a beast and the trainers will have to work hard with him to ensure that bulk is productive rather than inhibitive.

3. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

His role won't require being too good on the ball - Cork certainly isn't Zinedine Zidane - but I'm confident he's easily good enough to not be a liability.

4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I'm sure that article was copied and pasted from something in the Daily Record that came out just after the transfer. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The one match where Victor was up against top quality opposition, Barcelona, he pretty much bossed one of the best midfields in the world.

5. Downthe36

Downthe36 Well-Known Member

Looked fine to me at retaining possession last night , he obviously knows how to use his body to defend the ball well. Player comes in to make a tackle, he steps across the ball and turns his back, offending player harmlessly bounces halfway across the pitch.

6. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Load of twoddle, you can already tell after last nights friendly that he knows what to do with a football. We have Morgan to pull the strings anyway, Wanyama only needs to break it up.

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

It was said he was good in close contact but not so good when given space. I would suggest that Saints players will provide him with the options and that side of his play can be improved (if indeed it is a problem!)...but he was brought in by us to add some muscle to the midfield.

8. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

Cork's very good on the ball, can't remember seeing him lose it too many times.

9. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Well, four games against top quality opposition. Played Barca twice and Juve twice. Amazing in one game against Barca, good in the other. Also good in one of the Juve games but not great in the other (not that any Celtic players were). I also remember being very impressed against Benfica, so yeah somehow I doubt the mighty Kilmarnock are a better test of his ability than Champions League teams!!

10. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

That's because he keeps it very simple, as the role requires. I'm not attacking him at all.

11. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Sheils is a twerp of a man and this article was widely derided by the Celtic fans when it first came out.

12. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Personally, I think Wanyama is exactly what we needed. We haven't had a true midfield enforcer in donkeys years. Last season we did get bullied out of some games, and this has now been addressed.

12.5 isn't a lot of money for a premier league player these days anyway. Shiels is just used to paying Mickey Mouse wages.

13. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Most Celtic fans told us what a good player we'd got...think they might know.

14. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

You will always get someone who thinks they know better than anyone else.............Personally I think we did pay a bit too much for him but that is what we valued him at so that is what we paid.
    As for other people valuations they mean nothing when they have never had decent money to spend and therefore probably wouldn't know what a decent player is other than at the level they have managed.
    When they have managed in the English league they may get a better view of valuations as they vary quite a bit.

15. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

He's better on the ball than Cork and Davis.

16. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

By the same principle I'd like to declare that Benteke is ****.

Also Neil Lennon is not that high on my list of knighthood candidates, for some reason.

17. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Funny how this should be dug out now. The comments of Kenny Shiels came about a day after VW was signed and there was no notice taken then. I said back then that before everyone goes overboard about VW they should remember that this will be the English PL, not the Scottish one, and that VW will be tested. That is a month away and we'll be able to make some reasonably valid comments after the season starts.

18. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

All this talk about cash value of players is completely redundant. If he was up for grabs at a true value of, say, £5m, countless other clubs would be in for him, and we would not likely get him. When buying a player, all clubs play a premium of some variety, whether it's for being big and loaded, or small and less desirable a detination/more of a risk. Bale cost what he did and was a snip, but at the time was considered a good deal for us. Comes down to nothing more than what he is worth to us, and I trust our scouts and our chairman to make those decisions over Kenny Shiels. Compeltely ridiculous accusations - the world would be swimming with knighthoods if everyone who made a decent profit was awarded one.

19. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

So we should hold off on being remotely excited for any player until they've played several games for us in the Premier League because any comments before that are invalid?

20. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yeah, probably. People whip themselves up into a state of excitement about various players and start to go slightly sour before anything has happened. Give it a few weeks. Surely that's sensible..?