1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Virgil van Dijk !

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, Sep 12, 2018.

1. LuisDiazgamechanger

<peacedove>Virgil van Dijk named Standard Chartered Player of the Month.

Virgil van Dijk has today been crowned as the first Standard Chartered Player of the Month for 2018-19 in recognition of his imperious form for Liverpool in August.

The Netherlands captain helped ensure the Reds made an unblemished start to the new Premier League campaign as they recorded wins over West Ham United, Crystal Palace and Brighton & Hove Albion without conceding a goal.

Van Dijk pipped Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane to the award, with the forward pair finishing in second and third position in the voting respectively.

please log in to view this image

The No.4 was presented with the trophy at Melwood on Wednesday and told Liverpoolfc.com: “Firstly, I want to say thank you very much to everyone who voted. It was a great month for all of us, so a big thanks to everyone who voted for me.

“It’s my first one and I am very pleased to have won it, but almost everyone in the team deserved it this month; everyone has been outstanding, giving their all, and you could see that in the results.

“I’m very happy we’re doing so well at the moment and we need to keep going.

“I am enjoying every bit of it, but that’s all credit to everyone in the team – all of the players involved. It’s not only me and I would never take credit on my own. We do it all together and it starts on the training pitch.”0

Liverpool were required to demonstrate different facets of their game in gaining maximum points throughout the month, with stylish attacking play blended with defensive resilience in each of the three fixtures.

“We had games we needed to grind out and make sure we gave our everything, but we also showed our quality,” Van Dijk added.

“Crystal Palace away, for example, was a very tough game on a Monday night when their fans were really going for it and making it hard for us. It was a tough one to go to, but we did it and we were very happy.

“We did very well overall and had our moments in games which we were very pleased with. There are things we need to improve as well, but it’s always good to have things to work on.”

2. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

All of that and he could have just said 'who cares' :bandit:

Well done Virgil. Why do I love that name.

3. Garlic Klopp

Garlic Klopp Well-Known Member

Because Virgil was the Tracy son who piloted Thunderbird 2

4. johnsonsbaby

<laugh> You're probably right. Certainly wasn't this, I hated Latin at school -

5. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

What a man and what a superb actor he was.:emoticon-0100-smile

F.A.B. Virgil.

6. moreinjuredthanowen

TBH the internal lfc player of the month award to drum up a video for the subscribers to LFCTV doesn't quite do it for me sorry.

7. LuisDiazgamechanger

The back four and the goalkeeper need to be mentioned for our impressive defence also.

8. LuisDiazgamechanger

Van Dijk: I FaceTimed Robbo when I heard the news
    Virgil van Dijk has revealed how he made a FaceTime call to Andy Robertson to congratulate him on being named Scotland captain.
    The full-back was handed the armband for his country last week ahead of their double-header with Belgium and Albania and was inundated with messages from his Liverpool teammates and staff as soon as the news broke.
    One such well-wisher was Van Dijk, who as captain of the Netherlands is well placed to understand just what the honour will mean to Robertson.
    He told Liverpoolfc.com: “I think it’s one of the biggest honours of your career, personally, to be the captain of your country.
    “When I saw Robbo was made captain of Scotland, I was very happy for him. I FaceTimed him and congratulated him!
    “It’s something special – not only for yourself, but also for your family – and the hard work you’ve put in since day one. It’s very special.”
    It wasn’t just Robertson who enjoyed a fruitful international break.
    Fellow Liverpool defenders Joe Gomez and Trent Alexander-Arnold received plaudits for their performances for England against Spain and Switzerland respectively.
    “I am very happy for them, and for Liverpool as well as a club,” Van Dijk said. "They’ve been doing brilliantly.
    “You could have picked anyone for our Player of the Month award this month, everyone has been outstanding.”
    Van Dijk returned to Melwood on Wednesday morning after two matches with the Netherlands versus Peru and France.
    “I am happy I have come through two 90 minutes fit,” he said. “Now there’s good time to recover and make sure I am ready for Saturday against Tottenham.”
    https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/fi...reveals-details-of-facetime-call-to-robertson

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  9. moreinjuredthanowen

thats more like it

10. astro

astro Well-Known Member

The Thunderbird that carried the team, the others just making up the numbers

Garlic Klopp likes this.

11. saintKlopp

I loved the stories in their English translations.

I didn't mind Latin, though it was complicated stuff. Took me a whole wall to get "Romans Go Home" right.

Lucas Talking likes this.
  12. johnsonsbaby

I love studying languages but I never took to Latin. As you say, it is complicated. There was only so much of Troy's high walls, roaring tempests and soldiers marching up hills that I could stand. It was completely unrelateable. Pliny was another one I found boring as heck.

13. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

Then you might also love:

Milk not bear jizz likes this.
  14. saintKlopp

It's a long time since I read them, and I may not feel the same now. I have a Kindle version which I haven't got round to reading yet.
    I'm not sure if it's this one.
    There was a book about Greek Myths which fascinated me as a teenager. I thought it was called Men and Gods but I couldn't remember the author. I googled it and it is credited to Rex Warner, but that didn't seem familiar.
    I thought the one I liked was by Robert Graves, but his book is just entitled The Greek Myths, so I might be conflating the two.

15. LuisDiazgamechanger

Joe Gomez (left) and Virgil van Dijk's partnership at the back this season has impressed Paul Merson

16. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

17. johnsonsbaby

''He smells lovely too'' <laugh>

organic red and Sucky like this.
  18. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

That's a very important trait in a centre back.

19. saintKlopp

Yeah, don't want 'em stinking the place out.

20. johnsonsbaby

Sucky and Milk not bear jizz like this.