1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Sheffield United

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lots of talk about a penalty against Watts that wasn't given....but no talk or video check about the possible penalty in their box in the 90th minute from Grant's free kick....when McGoldrick jumped above Aimson and pushed him to the ground....surprised that not much was said about it.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

The handball rule is changed more frequently than I change my socks and will continue to be until they go back to the concept of "deliberate".

In the meantime, is the rule still that the offending arm has to be in a position where it enlarges the normal profile of the body? Watts' arms didn't do that as they were in front of his face which would otherwise have been struck by a football travelling at about 60 mph.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fancy Watts protecting his face.....I thought they bred em tuff up norf.....turning into a soft southerner....his mum will clip him round the ear when he goes home.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If you look at it the ball struck him on the under arm top half and his body. You heard the VAR man say it has hit him in the green area. That is meant to mean it isn't a penalty now due too rule change number 497. I thought at the time that a penalty would be harsh and still do. The current rules on ball hitting hand or arm from a hard shot at the person is just rubbish and many a manager agrees with that if you listen to them except when it's not given to them of course. I actually think that the use of VAR in only selective matches is wrong anyway. If it isn't used in all of them then it shouldn't be in use at all. It ruins games in my opinion. Of course Wilder and the Sheffield supporters aren't going to mention anything at the other end. It's a rule in football supporting that it is only your team that is seen off.