1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Bury

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Jan 3, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've just been looking around at some of the comments following yesterday's game and it got me thinking which takes some doing at times. Most of us have had a pop at Adams for his ultra negative style of play and seeming refusal to go for it at any stage. However, I have to say that more recently the tactics and style of play have gone completely against that and we have been the side who have gone for it and not only done that but kept going for it even when we have gone in front. The positive style seems completely alien to what came before and it has to be said it is working well. Has Adams had a vision moment? The difference is stark to say the least and suddenly Carey and Lameiras have been let off the leash. In fact the thought of playing both of those players at the same time previously would have been a non starter. Did he read what was being said about the negative stuff and think, "I know, I'll give them what they want and when it all goes tits up I'll be able to shut them up and go back to my way". "Oh ****, that seems to have worked so perhaps I should keep it going"

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I think sometimes the role of the manager is over estimated, particularly during the game. This must be borne out by the fact most managers try to make tactical changes at half time when they can instruct the players properly.

Pre-season was disrupted by the Dutch butterfly lobby. We had a string of injuries and suspensions. Particularly damaging was the absence of Ryan Taylor, who makes us a much more potent threat even if he isn't going to score 30 goals personally. Key players (Carey, Bradley) looked out of sorts for reasons we can only guess at. Early results went against us and confidence in being able to cope in a higher league must have been weakened. In some of the games in which there was controversy about defensive tactics, I've seen the dug-out staff urging the team to move up the pitch to no avail.

At the moment, injuries are few, apart from the goalkeepers. Results have started to come and confidence has blossomed. You wouldn't recognise the Graham Carey that played on Saturday as the same one that started the season.

In other words... blame the players.

3. notDistantGreen

I rest my case.....

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We will have to see if the departure of Toumani Diagouraga makes a difference.....His control in mid-field might of allowed others to do their jobs with more freedom.
    Will we have the same cover in mid-field now he has gone and will we still be able to play two creative players as when he was still here.
    Adams needs to find a similar type of player in this January window and soon.

5. notDistantGreen

He's been good for us and I wish he'd stayed. However, the core of his game is strength and athleticism. Compared to say the creativity of a Carey, those aren't the hardest attributes to replace.

6. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

The change of fortune came after I said he should be sacked! <laugh> https://www.not606.com/threads/versus-fleetwood.353598/

7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Perhaps you should try the same move with your club's Manager PGF. Oh hang on you've sacked your's already.

PGFWhite likes this.
  8. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Perhaps we should have kept him <laugh>