1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Bury

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Jan 3, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Banana skin time has arrive in the shape of a game against the league bottom club. It wasn't that long ago that we were in that spot ourselves and look at us now. So what on earth could possibly go wrong.

There is no point talking about league form for this one because Bury haven't actually got any over the last bunch of games and we apparently lie 2nd in the current form table for the last 6 matches. This ought to be a no contest game on paper. How many times have I heard that before and seen a pair of wheels roll past the window. Bury have signed a couple of players today so they have obviously started to strengthen their squad. This could also be the last appearance of Toumi. I hope not but don't think my wish is going to come true somehow.

COYG

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I will be seeing the game live so worth getting up early for.
    Will look our for you Sensible..

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'll be the one in the green shirt with green scarf BC. Will give you a wave.....................

Hope it's worth getting out of bed for.

4. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

What source are you watching that on BC.. Happy new Year from a sunny devon :emoticon-0103-cool::eek:

5. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I subscribe to the Argyle Website iFollow.
    Radio Devon Commentary.
    Plus the option of Live Game Video without Commentary

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Bury could have a completely new squad by Saturday at the rate they are signing them. We may have to think again..........

7. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Most clubs are strengthening their squads....after Saturday ours might be weaker.....we will need some serious additions at this rate.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

plymborn you really are a bundle of joy aren't you. Try being a bit optimistic sometimes instead of Mr Dread. You remind me of Neil from the Young Ones.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well it's true sensible....why do we wait until there's only scraps left....Bury are stronger than last week....just our luck to lose to them now.

Will Diagouraga be waving goodbye to you...at the end of the match....<wah>.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0 to Argyle....Diagouraga in the 14th minute of course.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0 H/T

ps.....Reuben Reid scores for FGR.

12. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Now for the play offs! <laugh>

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

3-0 F/T.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I repeat my original question plym. Why are you Mr Pessimist all of the time.

Today was easy. Don't normally like to sound too triumphalist but it really was easy. Bury are bottom for a reason and to be fair it shows. We were by far and away the best team even if we didn't actually play as well as we can. The scorline could have been double without any trouble if one or two learned to finish and not fall over themselves. The Referee was absolutely rubbish from the start. Where do the football league get them from I would love to know. The penalty was soft in my book although I was a long way away. The sending off was a stonewaller. Why or how some of the man's team mates thought a protest was on the cards god only knows. He was late and about waste high with his studs up. It was going to be a Red card all day long. Bury complained for at least 5 minutes after for some stupid reason and one of their number got booked for over protest.

We could have had a hatful today. In the end they were toying with Bury rather than concentrating on trying to score more. If only every match was this simple. Toumi could have had a hattrick. Sarcevic could have had a hattrick and Carey much the same. It would not have been injust. Their keeper was head and shoulders the MOM.

15. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Biased I know but I thought some of our play today was outstanding. Lots of confidence flowing through the side. Ry Taylor creates the space that allows Rubem Lameiras and GC10 to play in the same side. Sorry to see Toumes go, but in reality there was never going to be any other outcome and i wish him all the best-a model pro. Never seen a more blatant red card;I have no idea what he was thinking. 3 good goals, could have been a hat full.. The ref was ......well, his usual performance. Just had a couple of glasses of red, and well, I am gloriously content with mid table obscurity. Might be an interesting couple of months and we might just have an outside chance of a playoff spot....survival was never in doubt...

16. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

We have the RSPCC and we have the RSPCA. After this, there should be a new society, the RSPCF - the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Footballers. If there was such a thing, Carey and Lameiras would certainly be facing charges for their behaviour in the last 15 minutes yesterday, when they tricked and humiliated the Bury players to a point well beyond civilised standards. At one point, the Bury LB had Carey pinned to the Demport End goal line facing away from goal. Carey wilfully pulled off some sort of trick leaving the LB on his backside in front of the Lyndhurst wondering where Carey and the ball had gone. If the crowd had been quicker, there was definitely a case for a pantomime round of "he's behind you! ". How he ended up behind him is not clear to me.

I don't altogether agree this was that easy. During the first 20 minutes, Edwards didn't win a single header against Bury's new signing Hanson and it looked on the cards that either he'd score or would get a knock down for someone else to do so. Eventually either Hanson tired (he's a big unit to move around the pitch) or Edwards got a hold of him, but it was a shaky start.

Argyle got their passing game going and a combination of the first goal and Bury losing another new signing Ismail after he crashed into the post in a brave attempt to score an equaliser put the game in Argyle's hands. They took the opportunity well and 6-0 wouldn't have misrepresented the gulf between the teams over the last hour or so.

I didn't like the look of the way the ref warmed up and I said so to those with me. There was a theatrical, self-importance to it, with a lot of lying down in strange kama sutra type postures, Unlike any official I've seen, including the 2 linos yesterday, he warmed up in a tailored black tracksuit rather than the traditional shorts. I wasn't wrong. Watch this and you'll get the idea.

The most notable act of idiocy occurred when Ismail was stretchered off after a long delay. After he'd been removed from the pitch side, the thespian ref blew the whistle to allow Matthews to take the goal kick, which he did. As the crowd's eyes followed the ball away from the medical goings-on, it became obvious that a lot of the Argyle players and nearly all of the Bury ones had headed over the dug-outs for a drink and some in-game coaching. The pitch was virtually empty apart from Argyle's Taylor and Lameiras (?) alone in the centre circle, onside but with only the Bury keeper to beat. Now he's restarted the game and there's no offence. It's not his fault and none of his business that 18 of the 20 outfield players are clustered in a 5 x 20 metre strip of the pitch. Nevertheless, he stops it and makes Matthews retake the kick when everyone's back in position. Why in God's name? As the Demport End sang, "you must play to the whistle, play to the whisssssttle".

Up to 12th. I know we've played more games, but the points are in the bag. At one point there were chants about the play-offs. A bit premature with Wigan and Blackburn up shortly but yesterday was very very pleasing to the eye and a sound result.

17. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I give that ref 10 out 10 for the routine.. :emoticon-0170-ninja Un sure what his performance would have been like.. :eek:

12th and climbing.. Play offs is not out of reach now..

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I thought Carey and Lameiras took the piss unnecessarily. Carey got a kick for his troubles in the end and to be fair I thought he deserved it. It wasn't that long ago we were where Bury are and I don't like to see disrespect.

I'm not surprised the Ref stopped the game and restarted it when he did. He was wrong to blow his whistle but it would have been a tad unfair to have carried on even if it would also have been Bury players own fault. There is no such thing as an unofficial break and they should not go to the touchline during a game. They all seem to however. He got the penalty right. He couldn't miss the sending off but apart from that there was little you could credit him with. When the lyndhurst gave him stick for the daft booking of Toumi he looked at the crowd and smiled. He did this several times and for me that is out of order. He should not react at all to anything but he seemed to be doing the smug thing of I'm in charge. We do get some clowns in charge for some reason.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

With still a minus goal difference....goals are more important than taking the mick out of a team.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

All you are doing if you showboat is asking for some opposition player to give you a kick. If I was playing against somebody who was trying to be billy big bollox I'd give them a kicking if I could. There is just no need to do it whether we have a negative goal difference or not. If either of the players had got themselves injured because of it then I'd guess nobody would have been happy.

Don't worry Mr Gloomy Bollox the goal difference is getting there slowly but surely.