1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VAR

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Best uncapped Keeper, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Best uncapped Keeper

Best uncapped Keeper Well-Known Member

While on the whole I'm in favour of VAR I don't see how it can be right that it is used in the FA Cup where it is used in some games and not in others. It should only be used in competitions where all matches are subject to it.

2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Yep absolutely. It’s like saying “we’re only going to put it on the games we feel are important enough.”

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You might find it's only put on games where there are enough cameras etc around the ground to make it viable. There are very few grounds in the lower reaches with enough places to put cameras to make VAR into something even remotely usable. You are used to Sky doing the coverage with your previous background. League one clubs generally are not. Don't expect it throughout the football league anytime soon.

4. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

And therein lies the problem with VAR. The fact that it can't be rolled out for use at every level means that the game at the highest level, where it can be used, is no longer the same game as is played at the lower levels.

5. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

It's a trial that's why.

6. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Trial maybe
    But it’s all about money the top clubs want no mistakes
    Any wrong decision could lead to sackings

7. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Match of the Day pundits discuss the VAR decision to disallow a Derby goal against Southampton in the FA Cup third-round replay, with Alan Shearer saying ''VAR wasn't brought in for this".

8. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I think he's right to be fair.

I think VAR should be used for the clear and obvious errors. The offside last night wasn't clear and obvious and took far too long to decide.

I'm thinking last man red cards and penalties and the likes.

Vincemac likes this.
  9. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

VAR will result in fewer mistakes, but bigger mistakes. Even with replays there are some decisions which are never black and white. And when people still have differing views after a replay? Controversy. I mean, could you imagine losing a title or getting relegated as a result of a dodgy VAR decision.

10. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

We've a history of getting relegated on dodgy decisions, dont think we need the help of VAR in the future.<laugh>

11. E.T. Fairfax

Aye, but it would be doubly cruel getting relegated by a dodgy decision after somebody sat and had a jolly good think about it

12. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The camera has been used in Rugby for quite a time now. But, the only games most of us ever see if you bother to watch Rugby are in the top division or International matches. The camera situation in those are the same as in football where you have one pointing at virtually every blade of grass. They let something develope to a conclusion where they can stop the game and then the Ref can have it reviewed to see if anything that shouldn't happen did. What you never see is the games in national league one north or south where there are only one camera at best and nobody reviewing anything. That is exactly the same as football would be and I cannot ever see that changing no matter if this is currently a trial or not. You get a two tier Refereeing situation in Rugby and you will get a two tier system in football. I think that will have to be how it is and accepted. Personally I don't like VAR in football but each to their own I guess.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  13. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I watch quite a lot of rugby, both on TV and live. The use of the camera is different in rugby. In most cases, it's the referee's decision to have something reviewed and he asks the TMO a very specific question. That's not how VAR is being used, from what I've seen. That is perhaps it's most major failing.
    The system works fine in rugby because of how the game flows and how and when breaks in play occur. Football flows differently and so the use of the system doesn't translate well.
    You're right, a two tier system will occur and that is sad. Football's worldwide popularity is down to the simplicity of the game and the fact that it is essentially the same game at all levels. Something that is unique amongst sports and which is changing rapidly with the use of technology. It's incorporation into top level football is eroding that very special element that football had maintained for so long.

14. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

They got the decisions right Man City v Spurs - what a game.

Nads likes this.
  15. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Games like that remind you why you fall in love with the game.

Utterly sensational.

Saf and RTB like this.
  16. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

I thought Llorente goal was handball in today’s new rules. It hit his arm then his hip and went in. If it doesn’t hit his arm it might have gone off in a different direction! The joy of football and opinions

RTB likes this.
  17. E.T. Fairfax

In any days rules if a team scores a goal with the help of a handball, even if its totally accidental and unavoidable, it should be ruled out

18. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

If the ball hit his hand it was minimal contact and he moved his arm towards his body not towards the ball. The main contact was off his hip / upper thigh and that changed the direction of the ball - not his hand.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  19. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Next season, any contact. This season, the contact didn’t change the direction of the balk and was unintentional.

20. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Playing a little devils advocate... i do think the ball hit his arm then his hip/thigh (Peter Walton the in studio ref proving all referees are blind saying it came off his knee)

But if it hadn’t hit his arm, it may well have hit him in a different place and gone off in a different direction? As I say, I do think the ball hit his arm, but if the rule hasn’t changed (as @Nads said) re that yet (I thought it had) then so be it