1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VAR

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Jun 30, 2017.

1. poshfan

poshfan Well-Known Member

Wouldt have a problem if linesman put the flag up as soon as rashford was off side Var is becoming a joke

alwaysright likes this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Two wrongs don't make ONE right - they make TWO wrongs !
    I suppose the result v Swindon was 'fair.' - but no thanks to the referee !...... Neither penalty was a handball offence - especially the one against Wright...
    Neither defender had any realistic chance of moving their arm out of the way of a shot blasted from a couple of yards... The Swindon penalty certainly changed the game - and Gills were slightly fortunate to take a point - BUT - if the referee hadn't given Swindon their penalty, I am sure that Gills would have replicated the defensive display from last Saturday.... I know you'll say that the Gills 'fortunate' penalty, if not given, would have meant that Gills would have only been 2-1 up.... but, Swindon were in a mess at the back - and Gills should have totally killed the game before half time....

.... but- a point at a side in the playoffs does represent improvement.. We can't afford small mistakes ( McKenzie and Wright could have / should have done much better for goals No 1 & 3.

All-in-all, the current squad should be more than good enough to avoid relegation.... Already, Masterson has shown he can improve the defence... Just need to find another half-decent striker.

brb likes this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

Are we still in for the Posh striker, he didn't feature in their team at all today, not even on thhe bench. I'm wondering if he's lined up to come to us, when does the window close?

4. alwaysright

I heard that probably wages may be a problem.

brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

The owner has just posted this on twitter tonight...

Brad Galinson @BradGalinson · 16m

That was a match! Coming in, I would have traded for 1 point. At half, I only would consider 3. Happy to have 1. Our team is tremendous and only getting better. More signings before end of window.
    @TheGillsFC
    #SleepingGiant

Obviously no names mentioned but certainly more signings to come by the looks of that message.

alwaysright likes this.
  6. alwaysright

A level playing field!
    From what I've just seen - I am glad that Gills aren't in the National League this season... Well played, Wrexham.. ( when did O'Connor learn to score ? ))
    ..... Shame that VAR wasn't available - Blades No15 guilty of handball - a definite penalty -- much more than the two at Swindon yesterday....
    How can it be fair for VAR to be used in some cup ties - when the same 'benefit' isn't available to all teams ??? Surely VAR should be 'suspended' for ALL ties ?

brb likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

I did say mate, if we dropped down there we would never come back up. One auto place, and Notts County and Wrexham currently slogging it out over it. We've had a very lucky escape with our new owner for now.

gioblues likes this.
  8. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Another week. More crazy VAR decisions in premier league. Handballs not given offsides given. Goal disallowed. Forgot to mention pens given in not VAR games for nothing. We had 2 last week at Swindon and another soft one at Mansfield. Maybe we should have VAR:emoticon-0127-lipss

brb and alwaysright like this.
  9. alwaysright

Handball
    As we all know - handball has been redefined since VAR.....
    In today's Championship play-off final, Luton's Taylor challenged for the ball - which ballooned up and accidentally struck his raised hand...... Bear in mind there is no longer anything such as an 'accidental' handball...
    Tayolr then finds himself just outside the Coventry goal with just the keeper to beat.. which he does - to the (brief) joy of the Luton fans - only for the goal to be correctly cancelled because of the handball - BUT....
    If Taylor has squared the ball to Morris - who would have had a tap-in, the goal would have stood !!! How can that be right - when the situation would not have arisen but for the handball?

brb likes this.
  10. brb

brb CR250

Because the rules are an ass.

alwaysright likes this.

11. alwaysright

Even VAR wouldn't have saved us .........the more I look at it, the more I see the third goal as being at least two yards offside.
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...gham-0-3-colchester-utd-league-two-highlights

edit - actually, it looks 3 or more yards offside ---- and the stupid thing is that the linesman is actually 'up-with-play' - How did he miss it ?

ps - guess who was woeful in the non-challenge to prevent goal No.2... I'll give you a clue - he was the same player who made a dogs dinner of trying to foul a Colchester forward - during a fast attack...was so slow that he couldn't even get that right!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  12. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Ah always, it's interesting that you decide to pick up on a certain someone who had been excellent in the previous five games but I didn't see any plaudits from you then. I would hasten to add I don't see you make any reference to how badly Malone & Alexander make of defending the corner for the first goal? You also don't seem to mention how Malone again was beaten to easily for the header that dropped back towards the edge of the box for the 2nd goal?

Max didn't do great at that 2nd goal I'll agree, however the ball shouldn't even be falling there in the first place. But at least pickup on the issues with the other players too, rather than continue to aim your hatred towards one person who before yesterday had contributed to 5 consecutive clean sheets in the league (including end of last season).

gioblues likes this.
  13. alwaysright

I don't hate any of the players....To be fair to all the players- they were mostly crap yesterday - perhaps not so much Ogie.
    I have refrained from being critical of a certain player - for the less than inspiring performance at Crawley - and even at Sutton - mainly because it seems to upset some when I point out weakness in the squad.....( I don't do bromance with any one player - not even Cody ).. I have been watching Gills for 60 years.. I am pragmatic about my expectations.... Most Gills players over the decades have never failed to live up (down) to my expectations - but what sets aside some players in that time is their unique selling point... In the case of Max, it's Hoofball - which particularly irritates me......... to be fair to Ehmer (( regardless of his insistence of passing sideways or backwards - when a forward ball would have been the sensible option )), if he didn't employ Hoofball so bloody much, I would accept his brand of crap as I have accepted so much crap from others over the years.... This might make me seem irrational - but my excuse is that my immune system cannot tolerate Hoofball (( when it's so unnecessary. ))

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  14. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Whilst I may be one of the first to defend Max on here, I don't favour him over any other player in the squad. What I don't agree with is continued targeting of a player for abuse when it isn't necessarily justified, probably hence why I come to fight his corner. I don't need to regurgitate the things I've already posted on here as I've proven time and again he's certainly not the worst player we've had over the years. If you don't like hoofball however, you're very much watching the wrong team because its a style that has been used by Gills in the 20+ years I've been supporting time and again and something that is quite common in the lower leagues. If you want nice passing football, then you're better off trying to watch Man City.

gioblues likes this.
  15. gioblues

I expect Masterson to play tonight. Will Ehmer be dropped or will we play 5 at the back?.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  16. alwaysright

Over the last 60 years, I have spent many thousands of £££ in support of Gillingham -- who were my local team -- and remain my team of choice despite the 100 mile trip (just for home games. ) I have remained loyal to the Club - despite some dreadful seasons in the last 60 years.... Gills are more than just in my blood.
    I am committed to supporting the team - forking out the money that I do (( including two other season tickets for which I pay .).... and I believe it gives me some right to criticise the product that I am served by one or more of the team.... I have repeatedly stated that I am realistic about my expectations - I know that it will not be brilliant - and will be more unpretty than I could expect if I chose to be a 'plastic' fan of an EPL club (( which would probably cost me a lot less than my expenditure with GFC. ).....
    I have NOT abused Ehmer - or any other player.. I have actually refrained from criticising Ehmer on some occasions this season ( when he had given cause for criticism ) - because I accept his limitations along with those of others in the squad - and he had not employed hoofball during those performances..... It is unnecessary hoofball that particularly irritates me . - and - yes, I know that Gills have used this tactic too many times over many years - Ehmer isn't the first, and probably won't be the last to hoof the ball !..... Ehmer compounds my irritation when he only seems to pass the ball sideways or back to the keeper.

I am a 'rare' breed of Gillingham fan.... I don't care how 'pure' Man City ( etc ), may play football.. GFC is my Club.. I will probably die inside Priestfield stadium !...The football may be crap - for which I will gladly continue to spend much money, time and effort... I will always always give my support to EVERY player in the team - but - I will criticise unnecessary hoofball (( from whichever player. ))

17. alwaysright

Pegleg - just to clarify.... I am perfectly OK with you expressing your opinion about Max ( or whoever )... I can actually see things totally from your viewpoint -- but -- I like to look at the bigger picture - and that will include me being (( perhaps a little )) irrational in my irritation of unnecessary hoofball.......... Please don't confuse my displeasure with certain tactics and resultant criticism, with my lack of support for the individual(s) concerned.

I have been watching The Gills for 40 years more than you.... I sincerely hope that you'll still be watching Gills in 2063 ( hopefully in the EPL ) - and that your patience with unnecessary hoofball won't have worn thin !

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  18. brb

brb CR250

2063! <laugh>

I reckon you should donate him your seat in your will, I would happily donate towards that cause just for the bantz. :cheesy::cheesy:

alwaysright likes this.
  19. gioblues

5 at the back then with Ehmer Ogie Masterson

20. alwaysright

Got done by a couple of really good goals - you can't legislate for that.

brb likes this.