1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic UK / EU Future

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

It is difficult to hide the dreadful unemployment rates in France and the fact that Le Pen's far right party is favourite to be the largest group in the new European Parliament.

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sometimes it is better to let someone make a fool of themselves, and let everyone see just how ill informed they are. I agree it is in poor taste, but at sometime in the future he may wonder if he actually put this up as an opinion.

3. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Sometimes it is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, rather then speak and prove it.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  4. superhorns

You can't be looking very hard. It is on loads of sites.

5. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I have just seen something referring to this, however, it is no great surprise because if all Brexiteers vote for the one party and the remain vote is split over about 5 then it can only lead to one result - but it means absolutely nothing. All such a thing would do is shame Britain even more in the eyes of the World, and Europe, if these Brexit Party nutters sit in Brussels and just make mischief there. However - opinion polls do not take turnout into account, which is the decisive factor - if turnout is higher than usual then Farage's party will be consigned to oblivion, if it is low then they could be a nuisance.

6. superhorns

[QUOTE="oldfrenchhorn, post: 12740478, member: 1000816"]Sometimes it is better to let someone make a fool of themselves, and let everyone see just how ill informed they are. I agree it is in poor taste, but at sometime in the future he may wonder if he actually put this up as an opinion.[/QUOTE]

you have perfected the art.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

you have perfected the art.[/QUOTE]

I am more than happy to let others decide who is the fool. I just hope that sometime down the line you will feel the same and accept the result.

8. superhorns

I am more than happy to let others decide who is the fool. I just hope that sometime down the line you will feel the same and accept the result.[/QUOTE]

I fully accept the result of the referendum, the problem has been some others are bad losers.

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I fully accept the result of the referendum, the problem has been some others are bad losers.[/QUOTE]

What has that got to do with your ego?

10. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with any referendum.. All to do with the values you bring to these message boards.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

11. superhorns

What has that got to do with your ego?[/QUOTE]

you seem confused again.

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

you seem confused again.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you would like to explain why when I point out that you are changing the subject, it is confusing.

13. yorkshirehornet

He is playing a game and greats great pleasure in the attention he receives. He thrives on winding others up. He feeds on the energy of others.

By giving him licence we are giving him his buzz.

There is nothing to be gained by giving him his space. The result has been that people have walked away.

I was reading today how balanced these threads used to be.. The Hornbot turns up and sows discord.

We are all diminished by indulging him.
    Yes he is a fool.. So why continue to feed him..?

There has to be some standard of accepted behaviour here surely??

14. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

This may have been a mess, but is it because politics is changing? This has shown that politicians can think for themselves instead of just following the party line. I think the Liberal Democrats having been quite clever in keeping their own counsel. They may even pick up a few more seats in the next General Election because of it, but they'll still have less than 10.

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

We have seen in recent days just how fragile the peace in Northern Ireland really is. It angers me when I see brexiteers say that we should dump the Good Friday Agreement, because it is getting in the way of their dream. I do not anger easily, but those who say just return NI to the south really do get me stirred up.

Deleted....... likes this.
  16. Fragile indeed OFH. Hopefully what happened on Friday doesn't escalate in the coming days - it must be incredibly tense right now.

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Confirmed now that I need to ensure that I have my black pen in good working order. It has been said for weeks that the government had run out of time to avoid the EU elections, but they kept saying they could get the legislation through. Another failure to add to the long list.

Tory Brexiter Daniel Kawczynski, who resigned from the ERG has come out with a stinging attack on them.

"Talking to them, I think they are so obsessed with this issue, and they are so determined not to compromise in any way, they feel almost as if any form of compromise is some sort of betrayal. And certainly that narrative, one gets a great deal on Twitter: ‘This is a betrayal’, ‘This is a betrayal to the country’, ‘We are not fulfilling what the British people voted for’. I think that’s for the birds – it’s crazy …

"I have to say, wouldn’t it be ironic if the ERG, the Eurosceptic caucus, through their intransigence, actually result in another referendum which will potentially overturn the previous result." "If we cannot do this, if this is beyond us, and if we fail, then another referendum is inevitable."

18. yorkshirehornet

A very interesting morning here in Central France in our local commune. Remembering those who gave their lives in the local Victory in Europe commemoration in torrential rain followed by a vin dhonneur at the salle de fêtes. As can be expected the mess in the UK came up and the Mayor was keen to discuss. He favours a Europe that has shared defence and trade.. And not so much more.
    I was reminded on this day of what unites us as a continent...

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Deleted....... likes this.
  19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Sad what is happening, but this seems to be on the button.

"It may be that this Brexit divide is so deep, so pervasive and so entrenched that it could take a generation for our country to resolve these differences and fully recover a unifying sense of purpose and direction. But I am absolutely sure of one truth I take from our history – one that has been sadly absent from our political discourse during and since the referendum – that we will regain our confidence as a country when we rediscover that to be truly British is to be outward and not inward looking, internationally engaged and not disengaged, generous-minded at home and abroad, guided far more by empathy and far less by prejudice, and true to ourselves, our communities and the world."

20. yorkshirehornet

Who said that Frenchie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.