1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Uber

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

UTRs likes this.
  2. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...&utm_campaign=google june 12&utm_medium=email

Uber Is Taking Millions Of Manhattan Rides Away From Taxis
    The ride-share service probably isn’t increasing congestion.
    By Reuben Fischer-Baum and Carl Bialik

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio took aim at Uber this summer, trying (and failing) to set a cap on the number of its for-hire cars operating in the city. The ride-share service has drawn criticism on a number of issues — including its labor practices — but the mayor said his main concern was traffic congestion. The number of yellow and green taxis on New York’s streets is carefully controlled by the city. Would additional pickups from an uncapped Uber fleet lead to urban gridlock? continued

3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Uber win High Court decision...

Hot off the press, Uber have won their High Court scrap with TfL and the LTDA after a Judge ruled their app is not a taximeter. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, a taximeter is a mechanical device connected to the rear axle and the Judge ruled that an app is actually 'connected' to the driver...

Stand by for all sorts of mayhem as the taxi drivers step up their campaign against TfL...

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/p...d-in-private-hire-vehicles-are-not-taximeters

4. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Understandably not popular with certain people but the correct decision. Technology has made lots of industries redundant so why not black cabs? There will always be a market for them anyway.

5. durbar2003

6. durbar2003

7. Sooperhoop

8. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that Sooper.

I hope Uber customers realise their desire for a cheaper cab is taking money directly out of the drivers pockets and out of their country with commission rates as high as 20-25%..

Over here, our Minister for Transport has opened talks with Uber about the possibility of them operating over here with un-licenced drivers. All I can say is, I hope he is prepared for a fight because we will NOT allow this to happen. As the song says, there may be trouble ahead.

9. Bwood_Ranger

I do, but should I care any more than purchasing anything from a foreign company which is cheaper than the UK alternative?

10. Bigchazqpr

Bigchazqpr Active Member

If black cab fares were more reasonable Uber would be less of an issue. People have embraced Uber because, in London at any rate, as paying 50 odd notes to drive 9 miles in a black cab is ludicrous. Black cabs needn't become redundant - a bit cheaper and everyone would still use them! Needless to say Uber are obviously a god awful company to work for and apply some dubious ethics when it comes to turning a profit . The same as Facebook, Google et al.

11. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Keep on using them so Watford. Eventually, all your black cabs will be forced out of business and you will go from having a taxi service which is second to none and regularly voted the best in the world to a shambolic mess. Reading the article that Sooper posted, it looks like London isn't far away from that at the moment from a drivers perspective. As I said to you before on this thread, you get what you pay for.

Didley Squat likes this.
  12. Bwood_Ranger

Indeed you do, so I believe there will be a market for black cabs but at the moment they're a premium price for not much of a premium service, at least for me. If I was female I'd maybe feel it was worth the extra peace of mind.

13. Sooperhoop

Another one under the title 'You couldn't make it up', it turns out the nutter who ran amok at Leytonstone at the weekend was an Uber driver. Worse still, his family had contacted the Police a few weeks ago after becoming concerned over his behaviour. Why the hell wasn't anything done?...

https://twitter.com/hashtag/HeWasAnUberDriverBruv?src=hash

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Bunch of ****ers on that Twitter thread though. Cabbies chucking out the propaganda again. The nasty, bitter tone of this stuff really limits my ability to hear what might be valid arguments.

False logic:
    An Uber driver is a terrorist, therefore all Uber drivers are terrorists
    A black cab driver is a rapist, therefore all Black cab drivers are rapists
    A minicab driver has a dirty, ****ty car, therefore all mini cab drivers have dirty, ****ty cars.
    Muslims believe in God. Christians believe in God. therefore all Muslims are Christians.
    QPR have spent a lot on players. Manchester City have spent a lot of money on players. Therefore QPR are as good as Manchester City.