1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

U23 game today

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by clockstander, Mar 29, 2021.

1. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Sunderland U23 3-0 Burnley

An assured display from Sunderland Under-23s on Monday afternoon secured back-to-back wins in the Premier League 2 for the first time since November.

Josh Hawkes, Ellis Taylor and Chris Maguire were all on target against Burnley as Elliott Dickman's side moved within four points of the Group 2 play-off places.

Dickman fielded a strong side for the contest, which included Maguire and a tireless Jack Diamond, as well as Denver Hume who got 75 minutes under his belt as he returns from a long-term hamstring injury.

Dan Neil captained the side, whilst Ollie Younger lined up and kept a clean sheet against his former team.

The game started with Hawkes leading the line through the middle, and it took just 90 seconds for him to open the scoring. A ball played forward from the Sunderland half was affected by the blustery conditions at the Academy of Light, and Diamond's persistence saw him latch onto it before goalkeeper Lukas Jensen. He knocked it on for Hawkes, who guided a first-time shot into the empty net.

A first half without too many clear-cut chances, the Lads remained switched on at the back, Younger cutting out a dangerous Max Thompson pass and Brandon Taylor crucially blocking Anthony Gomez Mancini's shot.

And the clinical edge showed itself once more when an opportunity knocked later in the half. Diamond again caused problems down the right as he stretched the Burnley rear guard, before picking out Ellis Taylor's smart run. Taylor elected to volley first-time, and it soared into the net despite the best efforts of the Clarets' defence to keep it out.

Thompson and Joel Mumbongo each saw shots dealt with as half-time approached, and the Lads enjoyed a second half of relative control.

Hawkes and Neil both saw headers loop over the top after the break, whilst at the other end Will Hugill and Ne-Jai Tucker came close to testing Anthony Patterson to no avail.

But the undoubted standout moment from the second half came just before the hour mark, when Maguire lined up a sensational strike.

After receiving a short corner from Hawkes just left of centre 25 yards from goal, the Scotsman arrowed an unstoppable hit which was still rising until it crashed into the top-right corner of Jensen's net.

The third looked to knock the stuffing out of the Lancashire side, as the Black Cats continued to control the tempo of play. Dickman's team strode on to take all three points and a welcome clean sheet, moving onto Good Friday's visit to Reading.

SUNDERLAND: Patterson; B. Taylor, Younger, Almond, Hume (Wombwell 75'); Wilding, Neil (c); Diamond (Hackett 87'), Maguire (Harris 83'), E. Taylor; Hawkes.

Subs not used: Bond, Beaumont.

2. Millfield Maestro 1879

Millfield Maestro 1879 Well-Known Member

Getting 75 minutes is excellent for Hume. If no reaction you would have to expect he is ready for the bench

3. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

He will come on after about 60mins against Oxford once Chaz has smashed the 4th goal in. :emoticon-0105-wink:

4. Milton Nunez's Thong

Milton Nunez's Thong Well-Known Member

They had a player called Mumbongo?

:emoticon-0127-lipss

5. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

He plays way down deep, in the middle...

6. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Draig likes this.
  7. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

after being decimated for SD cash fund, they have bounced back well, the players from here is where most of our future lies,and rest assured it will now be run well under KLD vision, our future is on the up and long may it continue to the PL. H ave any Sunderland bird watches spotted our magic carpet yet:emoticon-0136-giggl

8. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Hume surely straight in for McFadzean the weekend then. There is a God.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  9. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

must say now that Mc Fadzean has settled in he is becoming a much better player, his first few outing were atrocious but now he is a credit to the team and getting stronger every game( BY THAT HUMBLE PIE TASTES LIKE DOG ****) anyway i do prefer Hume as he has more pace and better passing in my eyes, but that little sentence may raise a few eyebrows<laugh><laugh>

10. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0181-fubar
    <laugh> Completely agree with what you are saying fella, there’s something about Mcfadz that worries me every time he has the ball though. Hume on the other hand was flying at the start of the season, so if he can regain that form, what a player we could have on our hands :emoticon-0103-cool:

Makemstine Roger likes this.

11. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Me too, and I am a big fan of Hume, and would like to see him starting games sooner or later, whether now is the time to change the starting eleven is debatable tho'. We are not playing that well, true, but results speak for themselves, and as long as it stays that way I would leave things as they are. Changes can be made during games now with the 5 sub rule, keeping everyone involved, and giving injured players extra time for recovery. Personally I would like to see LJ be a little more pro active than he already is, but its splitting hairs, and maybe why he is the manager and not me. :emoticon-0100-smile

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Makemstine Roger and Wolfy like this.
  12. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Couldn't always see who was who but it looked like Diamond played a blinder. Be good if he's in form for the crunch.

14. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

15. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Post of the year fir me <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

Draig likes this.
  16. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Lovely that you and I so fully agree about a player clocky! After our disagreements about cattermole in the past!!!

Our defence, it has to be said, has been nothing short of miraculous this season when you consider we’ve had more injuries than Liverpool back there and they seem to simply use that as an excuse!! Hume, if fit, goes straight back in no matter what fir me though.

just hope he’s remembered how to shoot as he always seemed scared to previously!! Sure LJ will have worked with that side