1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer rumours

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by TopBunk, May 16, 2021.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Who ever gives a one year contract to a young first team player? As a loan, if we do our job well and he grows as a player over that year we would have to pay a hefty fee to sign him. Meanwhile, talent we have invested in is missing experience they could be earning. Would be different if he could find the net - but then if he did QPR would not let him go out. Absolutely no point in this signing for us and every benefit for QPR.

2. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Totally disagree, think it's a decent signing. We are replacing the old dross with better players and if one or two of them are loans....then so be it. If they improve us and help get us promotion, i don't see what there is to dislike. I mean....would you rather us promote that useless number 9 that played for the youth in the fa youth cup game against Liverpool, pmsl
    I have total faith in the manager, club etc!!

TopBunk likes this.
  3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Yep I would.

Whether or not we get promoted I don’t see this chap having much of an impact. Might as well play Kayden Jackson.

4. Spanish

Yorkie's Pi$$ed <cheers>

fieldmarshall likes this.
  5. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I don't know much about him and his scoring record isn't great but it's alot better than Jacksons.

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

How is it a lot better than Jackson’s? He had a good run at Leyton Orient but apart from that it’s been terrible. He managed a paltry 7 goals in 75 games for Col U and 3 in 34 last season.

7. itfcptc

Exactly, I was more highlighting how bad Jacksons is.

Bonne has had 2 seasons where he's scored more than 20 goals, Jackson's highest by far was 16. He's scored more than 3 goals in the Championship and he scored 3 times more goals in a higher league last season than Jackson.

For the type of player Jackson is i.e. not a target man but a player suited in a 2, his goal scoring record is abysmal.

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The fact that you are quoting 3 goals as some kind of achievement highlights that we’re replacing an underachiever with another underachiever.

People seem to have this rose tinted view that because Evans has gone we are going to be making all the right calls. I’m pleased that we are moving on a lot of players who have let us down but I’m underwhelmed by their replacements.

9. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

I don’t really care about how much ‘we’ spend or how much ‘we’ make on players as I’ve never received a penny personally from any sales, if the club feel a season long loan is better value or it is the only way to get targeted player then I’m okay with it, If a player can come in and do the job asked then I don’t care if they cost £10 or £1000000 or just on loan.

Under Evans I feel that we seemed to use loans as a way to not commit but I don’t think that is the case anyomore.

Spanish likes this.
  10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

If it’s one or two loans, fine. We still need to actually buy a couple of strikers. But if we end up with four or five loans it’s no different to Evans’ strategy and we should care because it doesn’t work. Unless you are competing in the Champions League regularly it’s bad business not to sell players for more money than you laid out for them (with loans it’s impossible to make a profit on players) and it leads to a toxic culture. So far we haven’t been ambitious in our signings to do any more than Evans had been.

11. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I don't have a problem with this loan at all.

An Ipswich lad returning to the club with a point to prove and a fans desire to do well for the team. He's already said that playing here will give him extra incentive and he has the kind of attitude Cook is looking for.

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into a permanent signing if it all goes well.

12. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I suppose we could always wait until the season gets under way then we might have a clue as to what we are talking about.

Buckyohare, Spanish and TopBunk like this.
  13. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

"Extra incentive"??
    Shouldn't a player give 100% every game, regardless who he's playing for?

"If im playing for Ipswich, my boyhood club, I will give 100%.....anyone else, I'll only give 80%".... lol

14. itfcptc

Haha not sure what you're on about. 3 goals in Championship is a great achievement.

I don't really have an opinion on the current transfers because I've not really heard of them however what I do like is we seem to be getting players in who have a good amount of experience in this league or above but are still of a good age, this is in contrast to the Evans era where nearly all our players just had potential (but very little experience) or players who've peaked and are well on their way down (usually after a long term injury)

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I want to see us get a lot tougher. If he loves the club so much then we should be able to sign him permanently now so we are investing in our own asset and not someone else's.

16. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

It’s possible that it’s not just down to the player if it’s a loan or a permanent transfer, on occasion I believe that a players current club will have a say in such dealings.

Spanish likes this.
  17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Of course, and if they don't like it move onto a player we can sign but in this case if he really wants to play for Town then that has a bearing on the parent club.

Vaclav Hladky incoming, which is much more like it. Better to sign high achievers from League Two permanently than underachieving Championship ones.

18. Spanish

Hmmm, didn't Hurst try that?? Sometimes i wonder Yorkie!!
    Can't say i know anything about Penny or the Czech lad but obviously PC has seen something in them, so i trust his judgement!

TopBunk likes this.
  19. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

There will be players at championship clubs that are underachieving or under-utilised for one reason or another aswell as league 2 players that are capable of stepping up to league 1, it’s down to the manager to decide if he can get the quality needed out of a player regardless of what they has previously achieved or not achieved.

As with anything a mix of approaches is possibly the best way, for instance ME once spent a fair bit during a transfer window which didn’t work so it appeared he was reluctant to spend any significant amount again thus initiating the slow decline of quality to the state we were in last season. Sensible investment at this level can see decent profits for a club IMO, I believe under ME the Harper deal if completed would have been a loan.

20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Hurst didn’t have time to try anything. The toxic players that are now being jettisoned saw to that.