1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer rumours

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by TopBunk, May 16, 2021.

1. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same stretchy! I was expecting at least one in by tomorrow. Oh well, maybe there will be a few new faces next week, i predict 3 new players by next Friday!!

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

June is always quiet, loads of people on holiday. Surprised we’ve done as much as we have. Always much more business done in July and into August when more clubs have the players in to let them go and negotiation deadlocks get broken.

Spanish likes this.
  3. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Plus you've got the Euro's, I'm sure we are waiting to see if there's any standout players coming from that tournament!!<laugh><laugh>

4. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

The little French lad who runs around a lot in midfield could probably do a decent job at our level!:emoticon-0140-rofl:

5. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think it’s due to West Brom and the departure of their Chief Executive? I was hoping to see a couple more players come in this week.

6. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I have a feeling we'll get gazumped on the Harper deal...probably holding out for a championship club to step in.
    Though saying that, as someone mentioned, not a lot of deals get done in June..clubs usually wait till the end of June/beginning of July as it saves a month's wages

7. Bigalreigned

I see Judge has found his level, fancy a trip to the Colchester Community Stadium next season anyone to catch up with all our old boys?(Not you Spanish :emoticon-0116-evilg)

8. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I think all those players going to Colchester says alot about why we are where we are, part of the culture formed at the club over a number of years.

Not because they've found their level but because they could play at a higher level but chose to remain in their comfort zone. Shows a lack of ambition and a contentment to pick up an easy living.

This is really backed up by what Alan Lee has said if anyone has read it:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/40465/lee-it-was-a-mad-time-to-work-at-the-club

Whilst we can blame the managers and the players at the club for our demise this says to me what I have thought anyway the past couple of years the failures of our club stem right from the top. That lack of leadership impacted on every part of the club creating an environment where ultimately no one could perform at their best.

Reading it made me start to understand perhaps why Cook wants to get rid of the wholes squad because of the culture surrounding the club over the past decade.

Southcoastoldgaffer and Nuggets like this.
  9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Lee’s comments absolutely vindicate Paul Hurst. He came in and said all this, tried to revolutionise the culture without the luxury of the backing that Paul Cook is now enjoying and those very same toxic players have now been moved on.

The comments also put Mick McCarthy’s tenure is a slightly different light. We all know that he didn’t get the backing he needed to capitalise on our position in the play off season and I have always blamed him for the laid back and unprofessional culture but it sounds as though he was right up against it behind the scenes.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  10. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing PTC, frank, honest, blunt, exactly what we all feared. Many good people working in wrong environment with no leadership or accountability.

We can all breathe a massive sigh of relief, and hope for better times. Itcwill take time to move thru the gears so lets not expect miracles this coming season. Top 6 to aim for is my hope.

itfcptc likes this.

11. Bigalreigned

12. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

I hear Cordoba are looking to do a loan move for him <cheers>

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Hawkins has moved on to Mansfield. Another one bites the dust.

14. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Never fear...we still have Drinnan to lead us to promotion

15. itfcptc

I tell you what, we're going to need to see some players soon otherwise next season will be challenging. Need a good pre-season with the majority of the squad together

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  16. itfcptc

By my reckoning I think we need an absolute minimum of 5 more players to make sure we can make it through the season

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Quality, not quantity. The crucial players we need are goal scorers.

18. itfcptc

Yep and a keeper, a left back, at least 1 Centre back, a defensive midfielder, a couple of wingers/wide forwards and at least 1 striker.

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I would rather see us signing two or three forwards or #10s. Unless players like Holy / Woolfy / Nsiala are moved on in which case one in one out. We don’t need to build a Championship quality side in this window, we just need to get some goals in. Just by shipping out Chambers we have already improved defensively.

20. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think we're crying out for reinforcements all across the squad. The amount of outgoings to trim down the squad and get rid of the deadwood is a warranted move. But if we're serious about promotion, or even improving on last season's position, then I believe we still need to sign several players and continue with shipping out some of the poorer players. I think with only one senior goalkeeper at the club - and not a very good one, in my opinion - we definitely need a new keeper. Benjamin Siegrist from Dundee United looks like a decent signing, if we can get that move over the line. With only Kenlock as the senior left back - and again, not a very good one in my opinion (although he is improving) - we evidently need somebody there. We need at least one centre-back in the squad, ideally an experienced guy with leadership qualities. We need a bit of steel and leadership in midfield, particularly if Downes ends up going.

We've currently got 18 senior players. So far, the best, fully-fit starting eleven that we can put out - in Cook's preferred 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation - is probably something like the below:

GK: Holy
    RB: Kane Vincent Young
    LB: Kenlock
    CB: Wolfenden
    CB: Nsiala
    CM: Downes
    CM: Bishop
    AM: Evans
    RW: Burns
    LW: Lankester
    ST: Norwood

And of course, that's your best case scenario ignoring our recent record with injuries. If you're looking for a second-string eleven beyond the above, then we've currently got gaps everywhere. It's going to have to be an academy lad for your sub goalkeeper. Donacien and Ndaba (at a push) are the only other senior defenders we have. Nolan in midfield, then it's young lads like Dobra and El Mizouni. We've got a bit of back-up up front, through Jackson (who's probably off) and Drinan (who isn't League One standard).

I'd want to see one new starting goalkeeper, one new starting left-back, one new starting centre-back, one new starting central midfielder, and one new starting left-winger through the door. So that's at least five in and then potentially replacements if Holy, Donacien, Downes, Bishop, Jackson, and Drinan leave. In my eyes, there is still a lot of transfer work to do.