1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer rumours

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by TopBunk, May 16, 2021.

1. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

We need a lot of brylcreem and fast!

I think you’re completely right; this ultra attacking set up leaves us v vulnerable to a counter attack and this tactical approach requires defending to start with that high press from the front 3. We could put mascherano in our team and we’ll still be vulnerable if we don’t stress the opposition out as soon as we lose the ball. Which is why I would like Fraser to play a bit deeper as a no10 so he can be there to press their midfield as it’s a lot for evans abs Harper to mop up. Cheltenham play 5 in midfield so getting overwhelmed in a counter is where teams will seek to unpick us.

Redruth likes this.
  2. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

The only thing I will say that i don't like about Cook is the fact he is too regimented in his formation, with the players we have and the way teams will set up against us....he has to be flexible. I like both Evans and Harper but both play very similar roles, sit back and play the ball around, against sides that just sit back against us ...i don't think we need both and can play with an extra attacker. I'm a big fan of 442 and think with our personnel we can easily adapt to different formations.

Redruth likes this.
  3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of 2 up top, I don't think I've ever seen a town team play consistently well with 1 up front.

I always used to like when we played 532 but that was in the days when most teams played 2 upfront. Now because you have most teams playing 1 upfront that would pretty much mean you'd have 2 spare CBs so they'd need to be good on the ball and I'm not sure we've got that.

It does seem like Cook has recruited to play his preferred formation but I do like the idea of Pigott and Norwood playing upfront together with us getting a tonne of crossed in the box for them to attack

Redruth and Spanish like this.
  4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

We need to sort that defence out first and foremost, because however much we want to attack there will be games when the opponents are doing the same or we don’t see as much of the ball.

5. Spanish

Cook says recruitment close to the end now. I personally don't think we need anymore for now apart from a backup goalkeeper, I'm just not convinced by Holy ****!
    Roll on the January window when we add a couple to push on for promotion!

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I don't see it being a problem keeping the players happy. I think it's explained to them pretty clearly during the transfer talk what is expected and that the culture we are building here is based on being a team and everybody has their part to play. Team goals and objectives come first and if those are met then that means you probably hit your own personal targets as well.

Good players are still signing for us knowing what's up <ok>

7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Not really Spanish, I have seen Evans and Harper both get forward and join in attacking play way more than Skuse ever would. I think they are both smart enough to know when to get forward and when to sit in.

Spanish likes this.
  8. Spanish

Feck me, Holy got forward more than Skuse!

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.
  9. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I think the CM pairing got forward more in the first game of the Season than Skuse did for most of his Town career!

10. Spanish

I loved Skuse, him and Judge :emoticon-0115-inlov:emoticon-0115-inlov

11. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

12. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Would be a brilliant signing and a shot in the arm. Might give the other lads a confidence boost.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  14. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think I’d take Walton, the goalkeeper, over both our existing ones at the moment. If he can come in and provide a more commanding presence in between the sticks, then the obligatory two goals we concede every match will be reduced.

Not sure where I stand on Celina. A brilliant talent and, like a few of our signings this summer, arguably belongs in the Championship. Should provide some competition and keep Edwards honest.

I hope we can identify a leader in central midfield. I was an early fan of the Evans-Harper combination, but I’m thinking we need a bit more steel in the middle of the pitch. Harper has been quietly impressive for most matches, but Evans has made far too many mistakes. I thought he’d be quicker to adapt to Cook’s system, as he has played in it many times before. Maybe Carroll can come in and fulfil that role?

I also hope we don’t loan Dobra out. I think he has the ability to be a part of our plans this season. I’d prefer Dobra playing for us, rather than giving somebody like Aluko minutes.

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The ‘keeper is definitely the main one to address. Part of his job is to organise and settle the defence and Vladky is having the opposite effect, although he’s a good shot stopper so I wouldn’t write him off permanently.

TWTD is reporting that Walton is a done deal subject to medical. This is one of those occasions when we don’t have a good first team option that would be kept out of the side and I’m all in favour of doing a loan.

Carroll needs to be in there and I agree that Dobra should remain and this season I wouldn’t see him as a regular starter but is a very useful player for when Edwards is rested or we need to inject a bit of energy in the second half.

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

17. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Happy with bringing Walton in on loan, Hladky hasn't been great so far and this loan could make a big difference.

Not sure we need Celina but wouldn't mind if we do bring him in. Burns could then move to RB if KVY is struggling with the defensive side of his game. For me, I think it's best if Dobra goes on a season long loan to get experience. I hope it would get him far more minutes than sitting on our bench. It may seem a bit weird to bring Celina in and then loan Dobra out but I reckon Celina could be made permanent if he does well so I don't feel like we're just doing his team a favour by getting him. It also means another team is helping us by getting Dobra experience.

18. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Sorry about this show of excitement but we've cleaned up on the top premier league young lads now we are off to Germany <diva>

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Celina is another done deal. Well done Town. His quality is a cut above this division and there’s a fair chance the move could become permanent. Two huge late signings for us.

Would have liked one more experienced CB but even in the absence of that I’m confident that we have the playing staff.

The question is now how quickly we can find some form and is it going to be enough time to mount a play off challenge?

20. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

We are overloaded with attacking talent, like I have done all summer, I feel a little anxious about seeing how Cook will manage this. He'll do well not to have some unhappy players on his hands, either that or we won't have any consistency in our starting line up. We pretty much have 11 first team players with quality potentially above this level competing for 4 playing spots. Cook said he likes working with a small squad, well that is not what we have.

Celina no doubt has quality but what is it about him that means he's coming back to play in League 1, and it sounds as though he will be another player who is likely to take time to get up to speed. I think I would have been more excited if he was one of the first signings but we have so many players up there now it feels a bit messy, any how that is for PC to manage and he's proven himself at every club to be a good manager (except here so far), let's hope he hasn't overstepped himself this time.

Still think we need another centre midfielder and if push comes to shove another experienced CB.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021