1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer business

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Billy The Spur, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Now that it looks almost certain that we will not be changing our manager in the close season, thoughts are turning to transfers.

I expect Levy to avail some sizeable funds (CL or not) added together with incomings from moving on deadwood (hopefully), and we all know where we need to strengthen.

With The Goonies and Abramovich already getting in some decent transfer business early, I am wondering what Spurs are going to do or will we be left throwing around bids at the 11th hour as usual.

I am hoping for some exciting arrivals (which may be difficult without a CL attraction).

COYS

2. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

i am not that optimistic..i hope i was.......as for keeping Redknapp...im not sure where i sit with that anymoe..i suppose if we get top 4 then ill smile a bit more...the other 2 teams look in better shape than us at the moment so they can do business..when we were on fire we faffed around.

however..we cant compete with wages so might be disapointed with who we get in?

3. Wandering Yid

Wandering Yid Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to get a 'Rival Watch' of transfers going, so that we can evaluate the various clubs transfer dealings side by side.

My ideal window would see us sign 2 strikers, one winger (comfortable on both sides), 2 centre backs, and a promising goalkeeper.

These need to be accommodated by offloading 4/5 players (Khumalo, Nelsen/Bassong/Gallas/King, Jenas, Pienaar, Giovani, Defoe)

4. pabird

pabird Active Member

Pretty certain the bar codes salary levels are lower than ours

5. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

i got a 'transfer watch' going last week..but its slow picking up understandbly..what with our methods..i see it being endlessly bumped come the last day of the transfer market in the summer!

6. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

yeh true but they have a knack of finding gems..we dont do business like that it seems.....Ben Arfa,Cabaye,Ba,Cisse......wow what a bunch of purchases...i cant recall anyone we are looking for who have similar potential and are not on the map so much..just like these lads were not...therefore we go for the ones that want bg wages as they are in demand....we been talking about the likes of Hazard,Cavani etc etc.

7. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

It's when the conflicting reports come in that makes it hard to follow - in January it was said we'd secured Rasmus Elm's signature for the end of the season, but now reports are saying he's been taken in by the Scouse Delusion (similar can be said for Jan Vertonghen as well)

As for what we need:
    * A centre back who can go straight into the team (i.e. Vertonghen)
    * A young centre back who will be loaned out to gain experience at another PL club (i.e. Bruno Uvini, Julian Velazquez)
    * A striker who can hold up the ball and handle being alone up front (i.e. Loic Remy, Fernando Llorente, Edison Cavani, Gonzalo Higuain)
    * A striker who can play off aforementioned striker and score (i.e. Leandro, van Wolfswinkle)
    * A young goalkeeper who can go into the side (i.e. Hugo Lloris)
    * A young goalkeeper who will play a few seasons down the line (i.e. Jack Butland, Sam Slocombe)
    * Possibly another winger (i.e. Milos Krasic, Junior Hoilett, Jerson Cabral)
    * If needs must, extra competition in central midfield should we suddenly be short of key players (i.e. Rasmus Elm, one of Ever Banaga, Ganso, Hernanes)

As we need to trim the fat...
    Accept any offer for: Bentley, Jenas, Alnwick, Obika
    Consider any firm offer for: Gomes, Gallas, Bassong, Corluka, Pienaar, Dos Santos, Defoe
    Loan to Premier League clubs: Kane, Carroll, Smith, Luongo, Bostock

8. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

i heard the name of Rasmus Elm mentioned by a few posters...dont know much about him...but the Liverpool board got a thread saying they have agreed to buy him for 8 million? all speculation of course.

HBIC...just seen you info on Rasmus Elm..well thats what i mean.

Ever Banega is on my shopping list...trust me he is better than Modders...eye for goal..hard tackler...drops deep...immense skill...get him in.

9. humanbeingincroydon

In a lot of ways he's similar to Steven Gerrard, as he plays central midfield but can also play on the right and as an attacking midfielder, and he's got a decent record of scoring and making goals for AZ. Hopefully the similarities don't include being a blatant diver, spending more time on the treatment table than anywhere else, and selling his mates down the river when involved in a seven-man beatdown in a bar...

If he came in, it could give our midfield an extra dimension tactically - he could allow us to play 4-2-3-1, either alongside Parker/Sandro as Modric is pushed forward, or on the right of the attacking trio with Parker and Modric behind. Having a plan b available is always good.

Reports say we were considering making a loan move in January ahead of a summer signing (as we were with Krasic), althought there is one issue with Banega - he could be out for six months with an ankle injury after being run over in February. By his own car. As he was sat in it...

Long story short, he forgot to apply the handbrake at a petrol station.

10. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I think we'll have some stability by this time next week. We'll know whether Hodgson has been offered and taken the England job and we'll know whether we're still in the mix for a CL spot. All of this will help our planning for next season and perhaps allow us to get a deal or two done early.

The nightmare scenario which wouldn't sort anything out would be if we didn't take advantage of any points dropped by Newcastle and/or Chelsea leaving CL a small possibility and The FA only giving Woy a contract for the Euros. It's so awful, it's really not worth thinking about though <laugh>

11. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

well maybe we could get him for a bit cheaper then HBIC......as i do rate him very highly..he has the attributes to be a Spurs player..and the Rasmus Elm fella sounds good from what you have said..infact if that is the case then why are we not fighting tooth and nail for him?

12. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how much Levy is willing to spend (CL or not), or will it be another summer of practically breaking even. I reckon there must be money there, but how much is being put towards the new stadium development.

We do need more strength in depth and to keep our better players. Interesting summer ahead with or without CL.

13. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Breaking even, CB?
    I think we actually made about £30m profit in the summer, if memory serves.
    We then sold Pavlyuchenko for £8m in January and spent nothing.

14. humanbeingincroydon

There was talk about Levy having a summer war chest available, although if there was a grain of truth in it that was soon downed by the chaff with talk of Eden Hazard being top of the summer wish list.

Frankly, we shouldn't focus on signing Eden Hazard (or Mario Gotze) or any other marquee name, and instead spend the hyper-inflated fee on two or three players that will do the job for us. Simply put, for the £30m we'd have to pay for Hazard or Gotze, we could sign Elm and Vertonghen, and have at least £10m left over - add some player sales, and that would cover Remy or Leandro.

15. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

Modric said that it all depended on whether Harry stays or leaves that will decide his future. So now we think Harry is staying(He shouldn't if he gets us Europa two seasons on the trot) then maybe we won't have to find another playmaker. But a new keeper and two new forwards.

16. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

I don't think any major funds will be released , even if we somehow get in the Champs League,
    Love to see players like Hazard coming but when was the last time we signed a marque
    player ?
    Would they really chose us over others who pay double. Bargain basement buys

17. Wandering Yid

Wandering Yid Well-Known Member

Unless Modric meant it the other way around <whistle>

The names i'm keen on are Vorm, Vertonghen, Banega, Hoilett, Damiao and Giroud (who for some reason hasn't been mentioned at all).

^^^ Now that would be a successful window ^^^

18. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

Can't see Hazard coming to us as the two Manc teams are fighting over him

19. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

every player will be more expensive this summer, whether they play in the euro's or not. the entire market will be inflated. we've gotta move quick!

I'm with PNP on this, surely there's funding?

we've done pretty well at evening things up and, in addition to the profit, and sale of Pav... isn't CL supposedly worth 20 mill? (i know that we won't necessarily get that right away, but we can factor it in to our plan. (SHOULD WE QUALIFY THAT IS)

Also, there's been talk of £50-60 million in the summer for a "new manager".

surely there's got to be something??!!

20. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

forgot to post this as well lads:

From SSN, for those who haven't read it:

"Giovani dos Santos is almost certain to leave Tottenham in the summer according to their manager Harry Redknapp.

The Spurs boss revealed that the Mexican winger nearly left the club last summer, however a deal could not be agreed with Udinese.
    The 22-year-old joined the north London club from Barcelona in 2008 for around £4.7million, but has only started two league games during that period.

Redknapp admits that he is a talented player, but concedes the club need to cash in on him this summer - before his contract expires at the end of next season.

"He is on the bench, he has got great ability, we nearly sold him at the start of the season for £13million to Udinese," Redknapp said.

"The chairman of Udinese came over and had a chat with the chairman and he wouldn't go and that was a lot of money.

"Gio is a good player and is a good lad. He has good ability but in the end his contract is gradually running out so I don't know what you'd get for him in the end.

"I don't think he wants to sign a new one so I think the £13million would have been a good deal*.
    "

*officially the biggest understatement of the year. fact.

this reminds me of when i used to play football manager and i'd spent all the transfer money. so, I'd take over as another club and buy a player from my main club that i didn't want, for an absolute fortune.

if Levy can pull anywhere CLOSE to £13 million off, the man is a god.

No wonder we haven't sold the dead wood though, with prices like that!!!