1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton & Hove Albion

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 3, 2019.

1. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Having a different view point doesn't make me scared of being a winner mate.

Suspect you'd be irritated if I said those who thought like you were plastics.

By all means disagree but don't act like a wum.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  2. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

True..alot have...probably most tbh.

Too scared to leave the comfort zones of mediocrity.

A few good seasons...let's take it and run

Let's try again with new personell

Rinse/repeat

No end of the Rainbow under ENIC

3. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

A season to remember.....for all the wrong reasons. But I hope to God they turn it around and soon!

4. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Absolute rubbish mate. Mediocrity was winning a cup every six years and never having the ambition to try to win the League or become one of the world's top clubs. Spurs from 1974 to 2001. Average league position 11th. Everything needed changing. ENIC took the risk of doing that....last 10 years average league position 4th. Our best 10 years under Bill Nicholson also had an average league position of 4th. At that time we were the richest club in England.

5. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Those of us who been around a long time. I for example remember the sixties it's much easier to see how well Enic have done compared to most of the rest. If you don't have that perspective and have grown up in the age of entitlement its not so easy.

6. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I wasn't born in 2002 guise

I've been around a while too

It still doesn't change the fact that ENIC will have to change their approach or we can enjoy watching us slip back into default Levy level.

Its no coincidence that it's the same posters that were blindly optimistic about this bunch having a god damn right to trophies once they mature and it was the same ones saying "No" that's not how it works

Sucky, BobbyD and KingHotspur like this.
  7. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Predictable...

**** off edgelords

Dier Hard and remembercolinlee like this.
  8. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can people keep the discussion reasonable, please?
    We're all (or at least mostly) Spurs fans and disagreement about the club is both expected and encouraged.
    There's little point in having a forum if we all have the same opinion about everything.

Those with an alternative viewpoint aren't somehow lesser fans, though.
    I've been as negative as **** this season and I think it's been pretty justified.
    I'm not going to slag people off for being optimistic or for being even more negative than I am.

9. PowerSpurs

It is precisely because I think winning trophies ISN'T a right that I am not upset by the current situation. There is no sure fire route to winning a trophy. All you can do is strengthen the club's finances to create resources to spend on the team and then try to get the right players and coaching staff in place to take advantage of that. The big test of the project comes now that we actually have income close to the other big six English clubs. So far we have got better faster than we expected and before the new stadium bought in extra cash. Don't confuse the normal state of progress (ie two steps forward and one backward) with failure.

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

As I mentioned before, we've reached five finals under ENIC and won just the once. If we'd had won all our finals, then 4 LCs and a CL along with the improvement we've made both as a team and the infrastructure, everyone would be loving life. Our players and managers have been the problem for not winning trophies in my opinion, not ENIC.

I think it'll be fair to really scrutinize ENIC/ Levy over the next 18 months, starting with this January. The summer we just had was good in my opinion, Poch got all four of his targets and most didn't come cheap - something ENIC are often criticised for on here and in general in terms of signing cheaper alternatives at times.
    The form of the team has been disappointing but I'd say that's out of Levy's control. If Poch wanted certain players sold that we couldn't sell, chuck them in the U23s and make them train with the kids, don't select them in the XI most weeks because that makes him look weak.
    But back to ENIC/ Levy, this January and the following 12 months from there will show if they continue to act as a "Big Club" and further spend like we did this summer. The money's coming in now and the stadium is reaping rewards already, in previous years we haven't had that and so personally I don't think it's always been fair to have called them tight as they've only spent within their means. Now our means are greater and so theoretically spending should be greater.
    If we still look for say an Nkoudou over a Son, then I'd be fully on board with questioning ENIC's motives.

11. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

? So both sides? That seems reasonable but I don't remember the blind optimism I only make predictions on two threads.

12. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Then you have no excuse

13. humanbeingincroydon

Okay, quick question: who was supposed to be playing on the left flank so Ben Davies had an out ball? Because the issue is pretty bloody obvious when you look at this and see that Verts was the closest thing he had to an out ball

please log in to view this image

14. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Son and Lamela swapped wings during the first half, so that probably screws the pass map completely.

15. humanbeingincroydon

What it does show is that both Sissoko and Toby knew that Lamela was their out ball and used it but the left flank is a complete mess, as Davies was carrying the ball forward yet nobody seemed to make themselves available for the pass - and at the risk of dogpiling onto Eriksen, considering he ran more than anyone on Saturday but was rarely the out ball that means one of two things: either his teammates all forgot how to pass when he was available (and let's be frank, our passing was crap all game so that's not wholly improbable) or he was running a lot but not into positions where his teammates could actually pass to him

In other news, The Athletic must be doing well out of our current troubles as they're churning out a new article every day for their paid subscribers to copy & paste into their preferred subreddit, the latest one sounding uncannily like the sort of writing that got the Daily Wail publicly slapped down by the club as it makes reference to "reports revealing" things said by "dressing room sources" that conveniently fit the Narrative, coupled with an outright false claim that Poch never takes part in training and only watches sessions via CCTV in spite there being plentiful evidence of Poch taking part in training sessions, a claim made to try and cover the rest of the article was literally the same as the one posted the day before

16. bigsmithy9

Were we really the richest club in Bill Nicks time?

17. bigsmithy9

Follow Liverpool's lead. Get yourself some reliable defenders,especially down the middle,a couple of goalscorers who can fall over in the box....and away you go.....and don't keep altering the ****ing team!

18. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

That is in unacceptably bad taste.

19. PowerSpurs

There wasn't so much info as is available today but often signed very expensive players such that we were referred to in newspapers as the Bank of England club.

20. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

Belated two penn'orth from me.
    I was out on Saturday, and didn't see my recording of the game until later on yesterday (although I knew the score because for some reason I persisted in getting my daughter to check it and tell me, even though she said "You won't want to hear this!").
    There was actually one thing that stood out. It was the behaviour of the whole team and management bench, so far as I could tell, while Lloris was receiving attention in the goalmouth. Nobody brought them together for a pep talk. We'd just conceded a goal, for heaven's sake! Our manager (and I'm usually a big fan) seemed to stand on the touchline and just frown. There was no-one among the players who brought them all together to say, "Come on guys, let's use this catastrophe to motivate us, and get ourselves back on track!" or words to that effect. In short, what was lacking was leadership from the manager, and from any player taking on the Mr Motivator role. All the camera shots were of individual players. Where was the team spirit? Where was the cohesion, the we're-all-in-this-together spirit? No leadership from the manager. No leader(s) on the pitch. I begin to think they don't care about each other any more. They're just playing for themselves. That explains pretty much everything. There was a time when they would rush over to Poch as a team every time they scored. Do they do that any more? (Rush over, I mean, not score!) So how has that gone pear-shaped so quickly? I wish I knew.
    And, finally, like other older fans on here, I've seen worse times (Spurs were in the old Second Division when I started supporting them! And they've revisited that status more than one since!) But I'm not sure I can remember a time when my hopes were so high and the performance was so low.

There. That's it. Rant over. And I still love the Spurs.