1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton & Hove Albion

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 3, 2019.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Saturday 5th October 12.30pm
    Premier League
    Amex Stadium​

The Champions League humiliation is behind us and we've got an opportunity to make amends.
    This is the last game before we head into another international break, so it sets the mood for weeks.
    Brighton have been playing decently, but they're on a bit of a winless run and will want to end it now.
    Both sides could do with a boost and the early kick-off could affect the mood at the ground.
    Can Pochettino raise the spirits, rejuvenate some tired legs and get a result or will we suffer another blow?

Graham Potter has had a slightly unorthodox career for a Premier League manager, so far.
    A well-travelled journeyman defender as a player, but a modern, forward thinker as a coach.
    His degree in Social Sciences and Masters in Emotional Intelligence in Leadership may explain some of it.
    He likes to push his players out of their comfort zone, having them perform theatre and sing in front of crowds.
    Whether this helps them to adapt to his fluid tactical decisions may remain to be seen.

Potter joined Brighton just after last season had ended and they'd parted ways with Chris Hughton.
    A single season at Swansea was enough for him and the offer to join a top-flight club was too tempting.
    Quite a stark contrast to his eight successful years at unfancied Swedish side Ostersunds.
    His tenure started brightly with a 3-0 away win over Watford, but that's been their only win so far.
    3 draws and 3 losses take them into this game and it's clear that they need a win soon.

Our trip to the Amex came early in the last campaign during a poor run of form.
    We'd lost three on the bounce and a nervous, cagey first half gave up few chances for either side.
    Harry Kane gave us the lead just before the break, after Glenn Murray handballed a free-kick in the box.
    Brighton created a few chances after half-time, despite some appalling conditions, but couldn't take them.
    Lamela made it 2-0 with a nicely worked break, meaning that Knockaert's late goal was only a consolation:

The reverse fixture was late in the season and both teams desperately needed points.
    We dominated possession and chances, but Brighton's goal seemed to be living a charmed life.
    A determined rearguard worked hard to keep us out and Matt Ryan performed well between the sticks, too.
    Alderweireld hit the post late on, as everyone pushed forward in an attempt to break the deadlock.
    That honour fell to Christian Eriksen in the 88th minute, as he smashed home to take the points:

Sessegnon and Lo Celso are still out and Aurier joins them with a one match ban.
    Trossard, Duffy and Bernardo miss out for Brighton, while Propper faces a late test.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose; Winks, Sissoko, Ndombele, Eriksen; Kane, Son.
    Subs: Gazzaniga, Davies, Dier, Wanyama, Alli, Lamela, Moura.
    League form: DLDWLW.

Brighton: Ryan; Webster, Dunk, Burn; Montoya, Bissouma, Stephens, Alzate; Gross, Maupay, Mooy.
    Subs: Button, Bong, Baluta, Schelotto, Jahanbakhsh, Murray, Connolly.
    League form: DLLDDL.

Referee: Jonathan Moss.

TV: BT Sport 1.

How would you like to line up for this one and what would you change from the Bayern game?
    Who would you play at right-back and would you rest anyone from midweek?
    Which system and tactics would you use and what are you expecting Brighton to go with?

Tilly'sowner and SpursDisciple like this.
  2. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Roo, SpursDisciple and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Hugo
    Sissoko, Foyth*, Dave, Davies
    Dier, Tanguy
    Lucas, Lamela, Son
    Kane

*If fit, if not Tanganga.

4. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Not a chance we'll see this team but I completely agree with the sentiment. If they don't want to play for the badge, they can **** off and clean the cubicles every week.

5. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

So here we are fresh from our seve(n)re battering in midweek.

That defeat will take a lot of getting over but seventually I think the team will move on.

There are rumours then Seven Goran Eriksen has applied for the Spurs manager post. <whistle>

To be honest I think people should be more positive about our 9 goal thriller...it is one of those games you will forever remember...and will make our lifting of the trophy in May all the sweeter!

Brighton welcome us hoping that they do not suffer the shame of being the first club to lose at home to us since 1983.
    They are in terrible form but (s)even they must fancy their chances. :bandit:

Pochettino's tactic will be to insist we don't concede SEVEN FECKING goals.

In the inquest meeting after the game Pochettino asked if the the players were ignorant to the fans pain or just apathetic to which Rose replied "I don't know and don't care " <whistle>

Spoke to my girls sbout the match and said I blamed the players for their lack of effort, my eldest said she blamed Pochettino for starting Rose and Aurier and my youngest said she blamed me cos if I had lived in Munich she'd have been born supporting a decent team:bandit:

Our tried and tested method of playing a mars bar inhaling lard arse on one side of our defence and a complete moron on the other with the wantaway and wantastay twins in the middle is one day going to keep a clean sheet.

A midfield of can't be arsed, soon to be injured, just signed a new deal and wish I hadn't come are all desperate for that sodding diamond to be lost.

This match is live on bt so we will have the joy of Steve Mcmananananananananan boring us ****less about his time at Real Madrid and Michael Owen just being boring.

6. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

The worse we get, the better these get <laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  7. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Good team that...only ones I can really trust will give it their all

8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

No new names to add to the list

...as long as you refrain from suggesting some form of brain injury

10. I'm looking forward to seeing a massive improvement from the lads.

11. humanbeingincroydon

Just a thought: if we do play Sissoko at right back, doesn't that have the added benefit of binning off THE GODDAMN BASTARD DIAMOND?

12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Not if Pochettino just replaces him with another player and plays it anyway. Winks, Eriksen, Ndombele, Alli, for example.

13. humanbeingincroydon

Presmuably Winks and Ndombele start

...oh ****, we're starting Wanyama, aren't we?

14. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

A holding midfielder? In our beloved diamond? Are you mad?!

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Which other team plays the Diamond?

I've heard Stoke do... anyone else??

16. humanbeingincroydon

Lazio, Shakhtar Donetsk, Brondby

The issue is that it appears Poch wants to play 433, the issue is that he has personnel that can't - with Eriksen the most obvious example as he's wasted in central midfield and lacks the pace to operate as a winger. As a result the back four and central midfield are set up perfectly for a 433, but the forward line isn't and this is leaving us exposed in a way that we wouldn't be if we had Son & Lamela playing as wingers instead of a striker and attacking midfielder respectively

17. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Surely he should drop Eriksen again and play the his preferred formation?

If he’s persisting with a diamond which doesn’t work and it’s not even his first choice formation then he’s crazy and asking for trouble

18. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

We have had 126 shots at our goal in the PL this season

That’s 20 more than Brighton

Let that sink in for the ****ty Diamond we are playing

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  19. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

…….and the game starts at 7-30am in Kentucky. Up and at 'em boys!

20. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

That is more than anyone would want.

SpursDisciple likes this.