1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton & Hove Albion

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Yes as you would think it's a combination of factors to which there is no simple fix. Each has their own point of view. The fans just want wins and top players joining. The manager the man who should know the team best identifies what he needs in terms of players. The players will vary in their outlook from Kane who is very loyal to Spurs to Eriksen who just want's glory in Spain. Then there is the board and the chairman who have to juggle all these likes and wants while at the same time taking into account the finances of large corporation

It should dawn on you that shouting for the head of the manager in such a complex situation is frankly moronic. If you have a man that has managed the team better than most in the history of the club for the last 5 years it follows that this is the kind of man you need at the helm when there is a crisis. It also follows that a board that has taken the club to a new level in terms of infrastructure, that will enable it to compete with teams like Arsenal, Liverpool, and Man United in the future has also done a fantastic job. Of course the less perceptive see none of this, all they see is their bragging rights diminished. For me C.Kane has come closest to describing what needs to happen and at the same time highlighting what a difficult task Spurs face.

I don't think it needs to be a huge dip I still think we can recover THIS season. Lucky for us, apart from Liverpool and Man City no one is exactly sprinting away from us at the moment. We have LolSelso and Sessignon (If I have spelt their names wrong it's not surprising as we have hardly seen them yet.) both to make an impact and N'Dembele to get use to the pace of the PL and his teamates. We have Dele needing to return to form (I think he is very important part of our team because he can provide the unexpected) Foyt was just starting to look impressive before his injury and I am sure Jan still has it in him when he gets his season started.

For me the future for Spurs is still looking bright because the increased revenue produced by the stadium will start to effect the team. It has to some extent already if you look at the new contacts at higher fees already offered and in some cases signed. Sometimes you have to be a little patient, I have been for 58 years! You do that by taking a game at a time and remembering to enjoy the good ones and forget the bad ones.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

The one person it would be good to have at the club in this situation is Harry Redknapp. I am not suggesting we replace Pochettino but if I were him I would offer Redknapp a consultancy.
    Why? because Redknapp is supreme at sorting teams out, of knowing the need for old heads in a side struggling like Spurs atm. I'm sure he would find a player somewhere to get in on loan. Someone like Scott Parker or Edgar Davids

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Point still remains that ENIC's aspirations are limited and it eventually shows when all our managers hit the Levy wall.

I don't think replacing Poch is the answer...whoever comes in will be financially choked eventually anyway

Citizen Kane. likes this.
  5. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Spurlock of course they are limited ----- they have to make real life financial decisions. You can just dream your dreams I don't know whether you can afford them but only City have that kind of clout.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  6. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Why keep buying expensive players all the time? Is anyone at our club got their eyes on players in the lower leagues? There must be at least one hungry player who will run his heart out for his team....showing your "stars" how to earn their money?

7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

The words of someone who doesn't understand the difference between :

1. aspirations
    2. having / choosing to use the means to achieve them

8. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Either way we end up in the same spot

KingHotspur likes this.
  9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Max Aarons springs to mind

Annoyingly, Norwich went ahead and got promoted...

10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

We need to get better scouts...sack the current bunch.

11. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I don't find the comparisons between us and City remotely constructive, nor is there much logic in using the 'well we can't spend like City' line as an explanation justifying our current predicament. There is clearly a vast middle ground between net spend £80m pa and £0 pa. Our failure to match the Citys of this world doesn't even factor into that equation and therefore isn't the issue. It is our failure to find the middle ground wherein we stretch ourselves to breaking point but don't cross that fine line between ambition and delusion. Instead, we have approached every season with the identical level of frugality as the previous one, irrespective of our rising stature on and off the pitch. Levy has said on multiple occasions that the stadium build won't affect transfer policy. Of course it fecking won't if said transfer policy is to have a net spend of £0. What Levy really means is that we won't need to do an Arsenal and sell our best players to finance the thing.

I just don't buy the argument that our financial approach over the past 5 years has been stretched to that fine line. And citing Bolton, Blackburn and Leeds as counter-examples is just as counter-productive as using the 'but we're not City line. They went wrong in a different era.

And so now we're caught between a rock and a hard place. There is too much to fix for us not to cross that fine line anymore. I struggle to see levy sanctioning a net spend of £150m across the next 2 windows, but that is what it will take. Where a net spend of £160m spread across 4 windows could have prevented this, we now have to spend the same amount in half the time. And everyone knows we're desperate. So what have we gained?

This is what pisses me off more than anything. We could all see it coming. I'm not going to start calling for Levy to resign or ENIC to sell up, as I still believe that in the grander scheme of things they have done a lot more right than wrong. But the path forward is abundantly clear. January will reveal all. If we faff about, I will be calling for ENIC to sell up and move on.

12. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Limited doesn’t mean zero though.

The club motto is To Dare is to do, it’s time they finally realised that.

13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Zero? Nobody apart from City could live up to your expectations King.

14. KingHotspur

How do you know my expectations?

Yes for two windows the club spent zero.

15. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

You are just not taking account of the real world. First Pochettino is reported by some as NOT wanting to sign players because the ones he wanted were not available and as we can see from many many examples spending money on transfers guarantees nothing. e.g. Wolves, Man U, Arsenal, Everton, amongst others. Chelsea right now having sold their best player and signed no one because of their transfer ban are doing ok. We managed to get to the CL final last season without a signing whereas following signing 7 players for Bale we achieved far far less. Too many people equate playing digital football equates to the real world. What counts is getting the right players and having a settled squad. It;s been the case for ever, an unsettled squad wins nothing and new players can cause that just as easily as old players.On Levy and the board we just spent millions on 4 new players in the last window and at the same completed the building of the new stadium. You know this so it's nonsense to use it against them.

16. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I read your negative comments all the time King

17. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Comparisons between us and City are extremely constructive in highlighting the difference between a club with pretty much unlimited funds and a club like most that have to be run on a real world business footing.

deedub93 likes this.
  18. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

As they say in blackjack, 'a happy school always wins'. Sometimes sticking is better than twisting, but if you have a poor hand, sometimes it's best to twist.

Spurf likes this.
  19. KingHotspur

Because I’m frustrated that Spurs got so close to proper glory but didn’t take the chance on several occasions.

I know the highlight was getting to the final in May but for me this squad peaked a few years and 1-2 more signings could have made a massive difference and brought proper glory. I agree with you that new signings are hard to find unless you’re city and there is always the chance that big money signings can flop but imo the approach Spurs took was the wrong one and that’s a big part of why the club is in the mess it is in now.

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Look on the bright side peeps, at least we’re not as **** as Utd.