1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Barcelona

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 1, 2018.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Wednesday 3rd October 8pm
    Champions League Group Stage
    Wembley Stadium​

It wasn't a vintage performance against Huddersfield, but the result didn't look in any doubt after we scored.
    A couple of league wins and progress in the cup have got us back on track before our biggest test so far.
    It doesn't get much bigger than Barcelona in the Champions League and we really need a result, too.
    Our defeat to Inter puts us in a perilous position, if we fail to get anything out of this one.
    We showed that we could do it last season against Real and it's time to bring that sort of performance back.

Our visitors won the domestic double last season and they're currently top of La Liga.
    They opened the campaign with four straight victories, including an 8-2 win over Huesca.
    It's been something of a surprise to see their form dip since though, as they've dropped points in the next three.
    A 2-2 draw with Girona, a shock 2-1 loss to bottom side Legane and another home draw followed.
    They had to score late on to rescue a point against Bilbao at the weekend, leading into this game.

Ernesto Valverde had a fantastic first season last time out, but their shock loss to Roma was a definite black mark.
    Having won the first leg 4-1, everyone was expecting the return to be a virtual formality.
    The 3-0 loss at the Stadio Olimpico was totally unexpected, as they crashed out to a late Manolas goal.
    The manager will be looking to avoid similar slip ups in his second year.

The two sides have only met once in competitive football, which was a two-legged Cup Winners' Cup match.
    The semi-final started at White Hart Lane, which resulted in a 1-1 draw.
    It was a tie marked by controversy, as the Catalan team kicked lumps out of anyone and everyone.
    Here's the entire match, albeit with Spanish commentary:

The return leg saw a solitary goal from Allan Simonsen put them through.
    The 1977 European Footballer of the Year would later score in the final, in which they beat Standard Liege 2-1.
    This completed a remarkable feat for the Dane, as he finished off an impressive treble.
    He's the only player to have scored in the European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners' Cup finals.

No injury news yet, but it looks likely that Alli and Aurier will still be out, at least.
    Samuel Umtiti is both injured and suspended for Barca.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Gazzaniga; Alderweireld, Sanchez, Vertonghen; Trippier, Dier, Dembele, Rose; Moura, Son; Kane.
    Subs: Whiteman, Davies, Wanyama, Sissoko, Winks, Lamela, Llorente.
    League form: WWLLWW.

Barca: Ter Stegen; Semedo, Pique, Lenglet, Alba; Vidal, Roberto, Rakitic; Dembele, Suarez, Coutinho.
    Subs: Cillesen, Vermaelen, Busquets, Arthur, Rafinha, Messi, Munir.
    League form: WWWDLD.

Referee: Felix Zwayer (GER). Doesn't seem to be a real regular in this competition, but he's fairly young.

TV: BT Sport 2.

We've chopped and changed a lot recently, so how would you set up for this one?
    Any surprise player selections or unusual tactics to deal with their array of attacking talent?
    Is there anything that we learned from Real last year that can be used here?

Spurf likes this.
  2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

On a little holiday in Devon with the fam, travelling back for the game then coming back the morning after - dedication ;)

If it wasn't Barcelona, I wouldn't be travelling back from holiday for it but I'm desperate to see Messi play live. I'm 28 and already been fortunate to have watched some of the world's best players past and present, both in and out of a Spurs shirt, but he's the one I've yet to see and I personally believe he's the best to have played the game.

Being honest, I don't see us winning, we play a similar style except Barca are levels above, it's like a 1st degree blackbelt fighting a 4th degree. I hope we go at them though, I'd hate to see us try and contain them with a defensive formation and still likely lose. Hit them with pace on the wings, their defence isn't regularly tested, I hope we can do so.

Team I'd go with:

Gazza
    Tripps, Toby, Jan, Rose
    Wanyama, Dembele
    Lucas, Lamela, Son
    Kane

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Just seen the Pochettuno interview. He said : I know Kung Fu.

Dier Hard likes this.
  4. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I was at the game back in the day. I was still just a teenager. Now, I'm an old man. That it's taken 37 years to play them again shows the different path that the 2 clubs have taken since. It's great to be back playing the powers of European football again.

For me, it's about drawing a big performance out of the team. If we can get the atmosphere right, make a good start and get into them, anything is possible. I couldn't make the Real Madrid home game last season, so I'm really excited about Wednesday.

Let's make some noise! COYS!

5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Played for both

Gary Lineker
    Steve Archibald
    Edgar Davids
    Eidur Gudjohnsen
    Nayim
    Gica Popescu
    Giovani Dos Santos
    Paulinho
    Terry Venables (played for Spurs, managed both)

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Paulo Stuartinho.

7. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Also, Vic Buckingham - Played for Spurs (1934-49) and managed Bacelona from 1969-71.

8. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

We have no chance. I just hope that it’s not a rout.

9. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Pablo Stewartardo.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  10. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Barca haven't won in three, so...oh wait, what's our track record against clubs who haven't won in a while?

11. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Pablo Estuardo. <ok>

12. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I fear Messi and Suarez against our defence.

13. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Me and my girls are going to this one

Got the tickets last week

am sooooooooooooooooo EXCITED!

COYS

14. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I'm jealous of everyone who will be at the match.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  15. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

With a shocker of a result against a terrible Milan side, we really need to get a draw tomorrow night.
    If Milan and Barca both win and we’re looking up the table at 2 teams on 6 points, this could have a big impact on us psychologically.

Another Wembley RM performance is needed!

COYS

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  16. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I don't feel too confident due to our performance against Milan...not because we are playing Barca. Still a bit shocked at that turn around.

We are picking up points in the league but not playing great...that won't be enough against Barca. This is either going to be the best performance to date this season or we are in bother in the CL.

I hope we go at them...keep that ball away from our area as long as possible or Barca will bore the **** out of us all evening with tiki taka around it whilst carving our quite suspect defence open on a fair few occasions.

The lads are going to have to have the eye of the tiger for this one.

What's irritating me is that I reckon we can beat them but I'm not confident

Cometh the hour...cometh our men?

Roo likes this.
  17. A great game for the club and a chance to ‘right the wrongs’ of the last time we met, however like others, I have no confidence going into this one and a scraped draw is the best we can hope for.

Bloody hope I’m proved wrong, but we’re not playing at an level good enough to beat Barca and the absence of Eriksen and Dele - and possibly Verts and Dembele - just reinforces that deficit. We need our first 11 available for this game and we ain’t got it.

ATB - Mr Glass Half Empty <laugh>

Roo likes this.
  18. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

And don't forget Vic Buckingham, 204 appearances for Spurs and managed Barcelona along with Ajax and a few other clubs.

Not as well respected in the UK as on the continent as he was the unfortunate managed in charge of Sheffied Wednesday in 1964 when the match fixing thingy v Ipswich came to light, but following the incident, took 'the Tottenham way' to both Ajax in 64 and Barca in 69. He inherited a mid table Barca side in 69 and went on to win the Coppa del Rey for Barca in 71. They never looked back.

One of 3 greats who learned their managerial skills at Tottenham under Peter Mc William, the others being Arther Rowe and Sir Bill Nick.

Many Spurs fans wont be aware that both the Ajax (total football) and the current Barca style evolved at Tottenham but Barcelona certainly will be very much aware. It will be like going back to their roots tonight, whether it will inspire them or make them a little nervous has yet to be seen.
    COYS!!!

19. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

The media rarely gives credit to Spurs contribution to modern football.

Lovearsenalcock and deedub93 like this.
  20. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

I'm afraid you'll have to wait till tomorrow night.
    Barca are in disarray, Pique and Messi not talking.
    We can do it!!!! And then the press can say we beat a weakened Barca ( Just like we beat a weak RM)

Roo and deedub93 like this.