1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Top Tipple Tips

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BrizzleBluebird, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Silly Billy...you forgot to comment....age thing perhaps? :emoticon-0103-cool:

MASKY OF LLANDAFF

2. william5551

william5551 Well-Known Member

Oh yes i did

3. william5551

william5551 Well-Known Member

i forgot that one well spotted

4. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

5. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Today is National Rum day in certain parts of the world and no-one sent me a card <wah>

BrizzleBluebird likes this.
  6. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Sorry Clingo, I misread what day it was and have been sat at my desk all day humming show tunes.... Should have read it a bit more carefully :emoticon-0120-doh:

FrankfurterBlue and clingo like this.
  7. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

8. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Could have been worse, you could have thought it was a letter earlier in the alphabet and he'd have been on about ememas again.

Saying that, rum and coke or rum and black current is quite acceptable.

BrizzleBluebird and clingo like this.
  9. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

irishbluebird and clingo like this.
  10. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Diwrnod da fellas
    Hope you don't mind me joining in - beer is one of my favourite subjects - apologies it's quite a big post and if you're not a lager lover then you might fall asleep trying to read it!

I'm a lager drinker in the main, but I do diversify on special occasions like the odd Real Ale festival or Burns night

My favourite 'mainstream' draught lager of choice would be (in order of preference)::
    Kronenbourg
    Estrella Galicia
    Estrella Damm
    Heineken
    Madri
    I will also drink San Miguel, Staropramen or Grolsch if the above are unavailable, but I find them too sweet and sickly to drink in large quantities and can't drink more than 2 or 3.

I do not like Stella Artois, but will tolerate the odd pint of it if there really is no other (premium) lager available.
    I used to drink more of it back in the day, but I found that the 'wife beater' reputation really might apply to me - I've NEVER beaten my wife - or anyone for that matter - but after a skinful of that muck I noticed that everything and everyone start to p155 me off and I'd find myself being irrationally argumentative. Luckily I had the presence of mind to recognise that I was being totally irrational and it was the beer, so I was able to keep myself in check, but I can understand why people with more violent tendencies could fly off the handle.

When I need to think, or work afterwards, or fancy giving my liver a bit of a break, I will drink Carling - not because I particularly like it, but because that 1% difference in alcohol content really makes a difference for me. I will also drink it if I'm going on a 12-15+ pint 'bender' - simply so I can drink more whilst not getting too p1553d!!!

I spend a lot of time in Spain (Malaga) and when I'm over there I like the Estrellas I mentioned above. I also like Mahou, both the green and the red types. I WILL drink the San Miguel - it tastes slightly better than the SM available over here (it's stronger), but I prefer the others if they are available. Victoria lager is ok (local to Malaga) but it's more of a session beer like Carling.
    One Spanish beer I am not keen on is Cruzcampo - to me it has an 'acrid' taste to it - a bit like Stella. However, I WILL drink it if there is no other choice - most Spanish cafe-bars only have one brand on draught, so you have to take what you are given.
    One Spanish beer that I REALLY like is Alhambra - that really is delicious - but it needs to be treated with respect because it's strong (5.5% I think) Alhambra is a beer to be enjoyed when you are only having a couple - if you have a session on it then you will feel terrible the next day!

I could go on and on about beer, but if you've managed to trawl through the above I'm sure you've read enough and besides I wouldn't want the Not606 platform hosting servers to run out of space.......!!

11. ccfcremotesupport

Thanks for contributing redandwhite.
    I must admit, much was lost on me as I don't drink lager, though maybe a singha with an indian or a cold corona in the summer. Other than that, its real ales all the way.
    Some time ago but seem to remember some good micro breweries in the wider Bristol region during my time living there.

clingo and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  12. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

We bow to your greater experience bcfc. <ok>

Hope you prefer the taste of sour grapes around 2.00pm on Sunday. <whistle>

clingo and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  13. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Ah yes - Singha is a nice Thai beer. Not easy to find it on tap over here though - maybe a few Thai restaurants may serve it. Easy to get in bottles though.
    The Indian beers (Kingfisher or Cobra) are quite nice too - out of those I’d choose Cobra myself.
    Corona is ok - it’s sold on draught in lots of places now - Wetherspoon pubs serve it.

clingo likes this.
  14. BrizzleBluebird

Hey BCFC, thanks for the contribution.... I had a bottled Madri about 4 or so weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it and I don't mind Estrella either.

One lager/beer that I don't mind occasionally but really can't drink more than one or two of is Leffe.... Jeez that stuff can be so strong...

I've also tried Kwak but those kinds of beers start to get a little too "treacle" like and heavy for me.

Definitely one of my favourite past times, trying different lagers when you come across them at home or abroad <cheers>

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  15. ccfcremotesupport

Spent a while back and fore Brussels on business a few years back.
    Supped a few Kwak out of quarter yards.
    Sampled a few other 'trappist style' beers while there.
    You're right though. Too sweet and strong.

A side note, on one visit the Belgian national side were meeting up in the same hotel before flying off to the world cup.
    Didnt really get to talk to them as they were on the top floor which was accesed by the lift that only allowed appropriate key cards to get to that floor. It had its own bar.
    Saw them in reception a couple times.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  16. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Big thing with visiting family to me is Krombacher.......with a preference for the bottled variety over draught. Many crates have been carried to the UK.....but I hear it can now be found in the Coop!!!
    Frankfurt beer not nice.....water is too hard.

17. BrizzleBluebird

Ah yeah, don't mind Krombacher (think they do it in Aldi or Lidl over here now too)... when my son was in Cologne (sadly his stay was cut short in the end) on our visits we used to enjoy the Kolsh over there...

18. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Going to try the Stella Artois unfiltered shortly - will let you know my views <cheers>

BrizzleBluebird and clingo like this.
  19. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

There we are. A great example of someone taking one for the team.
    Well done nin. <applause>

20. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If you have a few, your views will be somewhat compromised.......<laugh>

If you like cloudy scrumpy, then you'll be OK. More of an acquired taste and seems to have a bit of an edge for me.