1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Top Tipple Tips

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BrizzleBluebird, Aug 1, 2022.

1. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

I think we may have touched on this subject during previous threads but I figured perhaps it needs a thread of its own....

The majority of us on here enjoy a little libation from time to time and are happy to share news of our favourite tipple (not looking at anyone in particular but there's something "sparking" in the back of my mind :emoticon-0143-smirk), so it only seems right that we provide a very important public service by sharing our experiences (good or bad) especially if we discover any new revalations on the liquid refreshment front!

Me personally, I'm a larger drinker for the most part but do enjoy a wine or two and an occasional port.

Lager wise my current favourites are;

• Peroni
    • Moretti
    • Camden Hell's
    • Staropramen
    • Utopian
    • Offshore
    I have come across a few niche local lagers too but don't believe they are widely available so won't try to remember them all..

Ones to avoid.....
    • Carlsburg
    • Carling
    • Fosters
    • Tennants
    <cheers><cheers>

2. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Never been much of a larger drinker except during the 80s when Red Stripe sponsored one of the bands I was in. Did some excellent gigs promoting their product including the Bristol Lager Exhibition. Met some names that were working for other lagers.

Seems there's quite a Carribbean flavour to my life as Red Stripe originates from Jamaica and these days, rum is my tipple.

BrizzleBluebird likes this.
  3. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Any single malt for me.

For a change Haig Orange.

BrizzleBluebird and clingo like this.
  4. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

I'm predominantly a beer drinker (real ale) but have increased red wine consumption as I've got older and my ability to drink volume has reduced. Ok with some bottled lager but not the gassy stuff, cider is a no no.
    Things have got a bit messy with spirits in the past but Im not a fan of most anyway.

Craft beers off the hand pump (there are a few locally in cheshire), still drink brains ( dark, HB or Rev James) when I can get it. Badger beers probably my favourite in bottles, though during the hot weather I developed a taste for chilled Corona.
    Red wines need to be heavy so no italian and few french, though I do like St Emillion. American, South American and S African are generally good.

Mrs Remote enjoys a G&T which I'm growing to enjoy. Bought a very nice Pineapple and Ginger gin at the Royal Welsh a couple weeks ago. Talking to the guy on the stand, was surprised to hear they were based in Pontypridd.
    I'm ok with rum and coke.
    What goes in my hip flask is Sloe Gin.
    Bottled 3 litres of it yesterday from 2021s vintage.

On a related topic, I do a dry month every year. This year its August, so starting today.<cheers>

5. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Gone right off lager in recent years. Not worth drinking if under 5% and perhaps my taste buds have changed but they all taste the same to me.

Much prefer bottled ales, Abbot, Bishop's Finger, Newcastle Brown (not as good as it used to be) and my favourite, Theakston Old Peculier.

Very few pubs or restaurants stock these now. I have asked why and was told there is no demand. However the pubs generate demand. If they don't stock stuff then unless you get a stroppy git like me who questions, then they won't stock it.

Tesco sell 4 for £6 and they are restocking the shelves regularly so someone is buying it.

Credit to Wetherspoon who have draught Abbot, was £2.29 a pint when I last had some back in June.

Credit also to the Blue Anchor at Rhoose who are the only pub I know with draught Ole Peculier.

Mrs. BfB and I had our wedding anniversary at the weekend. Had a great meal at the Pelican, Ogmore by Sea. The sell draught Sea Spray, a nice pint 5% proof.

I'm just as fussy on my wine choices. I like a nice heavy red, usually a Shiraz or Merlot. Decent ones are at least 13% proof. My current retail favourite is Jamshed Shiraz (£7 in Tesco in Wales, £6 in England, thsnk you Dopey Drakeford, champion dickhead of Wales). Like Old Peculier it is so heavy you can stand a spoon up in it!!!

I rarely drink shorts but am partial to a cream coffee with Cointreau after a good meal.

Last point, at CCS on Saturday Amstel was £6.25 a pint, Carling £6.50, cider same price. Robbing barstewards.

BrizzleBluebird and clingo like this.
  6. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Working outside this morning and only just spotted this thread lunchtime.

I'm going back out to finish my chore this afternoon and will give this subject some very serious thought.

7. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

No doubt putting your thoughts into practice after your day of toil.:emoticon-0105-wink:

8. irishbluebird

irishbluebird Well-Known Member

Cannot really comment on this as I gave up 22 years and 11 months ago!
    I do like a latte though ☕️

9. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Very much a red wine chappie!!! I have a source of Medoc wine via a mate in Germany. If out and about I like a Primitivo or a Shiraz. White wine would preferably be a Sancerre!
    Otherwise real ale in the UK....a long term lover of Marstons Pedigree....especially after it learnt to travel more than 10 miles from Burton. In Germany Krombacher is the go to beer!
    Felinfoel also very much appreciated and Burton Bridge when there.

BluefromBridgend and clingo like this.
  10. BrizzleBluebird

Does that make it an Irish Coffee regardless of a lack of alcohol then?? :emoticon-0105-wink:

In fairness I genuinely think that if I had to choose between lager or coffee then coffee would win out as I'm not sure I function properly without one in the mornings!!

11. BrizzleBluebird

I really like a good Primitivo...

A decent Argentine Malbec usually goes down well too.

I have recently started visiting a self service wine bar in Bristol (la Vignoble) where you can purchase samples of wine (or full glasses of course), a great way to try various wines you wouldn't normally buy a bottle of.

Have now discovered that the American's actually ARE capable of producing some decent wines :emoticon-0142-happy

12. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

With you on that list<cheers>

Do like IPA and apple cider not the modern mixed fruit versions plus Bourbon & a GnT

BrizzleBluebird likes this.
  13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Right guys - had enought time to think about this after finishing my chore. Got two fridges - one for everyday items in the kitchen and a large one in what used to be my home office. Since packing work in, it's been converted into a beer, wine and spirits storeroom, but I let the girls set up the ironing board in there now and again.........<laugh>

Just checked out the current contents and they broadly reflect my preferences - I can report as follows............

Top of the list is Peroni (that won't surprise many of you). Second in terms of quantity and choice is Grolsch, followed by Stella and Becks. Surprisingly I found a few Moretti's lurking in there - not really a fan. However, the biggest surprise was 3 cans of Fosters - that must have been the wife's sister who had a crush on Paul Hogan at one time.

Don't drink beer any more but do like wine. Preferably Rhone for the reds (my favourite), though I do like the Itallian Sangiovese, Primitivo and Chianties - not averse to a nice Rioja either. It's New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc for the whites with its' goosegog bite with salads also with fish and chips when brought back home from Beales Park establishment - best around here by a mile.

On the spirit front, I only drink single malts. Cardhu and Tullibardine in the summer months with the peatier Talisker Skye and Dalwhinnies Winter Gold when the cold nights set in.

All in all, some will say I'm probably killing myself, but there you go - you're a long time dead. <ok>

14. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

I like rum

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Red?

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  16. BrizzleBluebird

Ah yes, you mentioned the Jamaican influence....

Any particular preferences?

A chap I used to work with was very much a fan of Mount Gay.

Not big on spirits myself but used to like a whiskey or two (mostly the Glens) and weirdly I'm also partial to the occasional Pernod and black too ...

17. BrizzleBluebird

He doth protest too much on those Fosters!!! :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Suspect you and I would get on quite well at the bar there Sparky :emoticon-0148-yes:

18. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

A really good friend of mine visits Jamaica a couple of times a year and comes back with some Appleton's Extra Special Reserve which I've never seen for sale.

19. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Mount Gay is very, very good too.

20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

:emoticon-0138-think:emoticon-0138-think......I hope that's not an instruction.