1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Top 5

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Yorkiegit26, May 1, 2018.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever disagreed more with anyone on here.

So getting rid of Klug was a spot on idea?
    Selling Jordan Rhodes for pittance was a spot on idea?
    Playing Colin Healey as a winger ahead of Andros Townsend was a good idea?
    Spending millions of pounds on poor players was a good idea?
    Playing ineffective boring football was a spot on idea? Mick played boring football but it was arguably effective for the majority of the time.
    Openly criticising our best players in McAuley and Walters so they eventually left the club was a spot on idea? They both went onto have very good PL careers

The only spot on idea Keane ever had was getting rid of Ben Thatcher other than that I can't think of 1.

Westlake33 likes this.
  2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

PTC you are being a bell end. If you read my post you will see that I said I wasn't happy about Klug and that Keane lacked maturity. to answer your final point

Keane's football wasn't boring, but that's subjective. Selling Rhodes was clearly a bad idea but most of the players Keane brought in certainly weren't poor. OK so Lee Martin was cack but was Daryl Murphy a poor signing? Where did Damian Delaney end up? Where is Conor Hourihane now?

That leaves you with playing Healy on the wing instead of Townsend, a loan player. Because Paul Jewell certainly always got his team selection right didn't he? Plum.

3. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Oh mate his football was pants. Sure, it was better than McCarthy's ........ but that's not hard. Keane's footy was far from good and his utter refusal to pick Townsend regularly was beyond baffling. FINALLY, we had a left winger who could pull teams pants down - like he did away at Crystal Palace when I went, and we won 2-1. Townsend got a stupid red that day. Awful decision! However, on the whole Keane's style of play was far from fluid or decent.......

I will actually stick up with Keane re Rhodes a bit. We had two incredible talents at the time in Rhodes + Wickham. VERY difficult to develop both - although it was clear Rhodes had a good future - we couldn't be sure how high up the leagues this would be!? The fee for Rhodes was however the issue for me - insulting at best.

Although Jewell was a clown - he's a good example of trying to play the game from a pleasing point of view without having a firm base. You cannot go and play liquid football with a piss poor spine............. Jewell didn't seem remotely capable of grasping that.

Keane had a VERY good start with us. Them two wins, I'll always remember Ninnian Park 3-0 win his first game. I loved him then, we all did.

But he failed spectacularly and was an absolute disaster. I was fed up with being called ' Roy Keane's Ipswich '.......... !

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Come on, the Roy Keane's Ipswich thing was not his fault any more that it's Burley's fault we started getting called 'The Tractor Boys' during our European campaign (I hate that more to be honest!).

Of the three we have just had Keane was miles ahead of Jewell and I admired his passion over McCarthy's apathy. Keane didn't fail spectacularly AT ALL. The fact we are no further forward six years later is a case in point. McCarthy bad mouthing the fans and getting in Magical Vegas as a sponsor has corrupted the club more than Keane did before you even start talking about Clegg and his questionable Olympic role and Marcus Evans' ticketing controversy. Yes Roy Keane did clear out a lot of good back room people and that was a mistake, but that is the only mistake he really made. What he was trying to achieve in doing so was to improve our professional standards to get closer to what he had experienced at United. People have lost all sense of perspective.

5. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Can’t see how bringing in a sponsor really corrupts the club....

6. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Keane was a spectacular failure and lucky as hell we gave him as long as we did. What was it, 13 winless games at the season and us bottom of the league!? How he lasted quite so long as he did - shows we'd give anyone time and I respect that. He wasted an absolute fortune achieving absolutely nothing further.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/roy-kea...-something-on-the-bottom-of-my-shoe-1-3797639

He even admits himself he was crap with us for heavens sake!

I'm with you on McCarthy being a bit of an idiot towards the fans - however people hurled abuse at him for long over four years before he went all Nigel Pearson on people so if you can't take it - probably best not to give it out.

Agree with you on the sponsor - I hate betting companies sponsoring any football team let alone our own. Disgusting.

itfcptc likes this.
  7. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Whoever's next let's just hope it's someone we can all unite behind.The last few have been pretty divisive in their own ways!

8. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Do you call everyone a bell end who you disagree with? Sounds like Keane isn't the only one who lacks maturity.

Daryl Murphy only really came good under Mick, he was actually pretty poor when Keane was here. Damien Delaney was also very poor and defending Keane on that one I actually believe the signing had already been confirmed before Keane took over.

And Keanes football really was terrible granted Micks teams were boring but at least in the first 3 years we showed purpose, there was a clear style after that we lost it but we still looked organised and in general had a good defensive shape under Keane not only were we negative but we were also defensively poor and looked all over the place. Mick and Keane both played pretty boring negative football but Mick was actually good at it and he had us organised and working as a team.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  9. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Come on girls put your handbags down!!

We are moving into an exciting new era now!

The past is the past no point dwelling on all the **** stuff that's gone on.

Bigalreigned likes this.
  10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Promoting a gambling firm at a family club... all the social problems gambling creates and emblazoning the logo on shirts sold to kids. Morally bankrupt.

stretchyboy likes this.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It's really frustrating when somebody picks an argument regurgitating points that have already been answered and doing it in a passive aggressive tone, so I felt being a bell end was more than an apt description of that particular post.

What it boils down to is this as I keep saying - I'd rather have someone with some passion and ambition having a go than someone picking up their cheque each week but more than comfortable with mediocrity. Neither of them were a disaster and neither of them pulled up any trees. But McCarthy took five years to get nowhere. Keane had a poor run and left even though we were in a cup semi final. Our cup record under Mick is absolutely pathetic, as far as I'm concerned the man is completely indefensible.

12. johnnywarksmoustache

We advertised Greene King on our shirts years back for Christi's sake! Come on Yorkie I never had you down as a cheerleader for the nanny state! <doh>

13. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Is that really McCarthy's fault though? Seems like a decision that Evans and the board would take.

14. johnnywarksmoustache

I have never been a gambler it's basically a mugs game but it is a legal and regulated industry so if the club can gain valuable revenue from a gambling company then so be it. <ok>

San Diego likes this.
  15. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Fair enough regarding the cup record, Hampy, but our league form under both Keane and Jewell was underwhelming and disappointing. Under them, we never finished top half of the table, never achieved consistency, and both managers left when we were seriously threatened with relegation.

I would only say Jewell was marginally better than Keane. This is because we at least played some attractive football at times under Jewell and Keane sacking Klug set us back years in my opinion.

16. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Shirt sponsorship is a tricky one. I always thought it was a touch of class Barcelona 'donating' their space to UNICEF (ok they didn't really need the money) and similarly us having each(EA Childrens Hospice).The present sponsorship just strikes me as the height of tackiness.Pride in the shirt?I hear what's being said about Greene King but never saw that as quite so bad.It had an element of local connection/history and hey,I like beer,not especially GK though.

17. johnnywarksmoustache

Alcoholism is far worse than gambling addiction!

18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It has nothing to do with McCarthy, but there is this perception of Roy Keane that he was poisonous. He pissed off quite a few players who have bad mouthed him (but those are the ones who are actually pissed off because they couldn't cut the mustard).

McCarthy swears at and has contempt for supporters and still somehow gets praise from some quarters.

And the most poisonous thing of all is this sponsorship deal long, long after Roy Keane's association. That was my point, not to say it had anything to do with McCarthy.

Who is responsible for the poison? Stuff like this NEVER happened on the Cobbold's watch. It's clearly Evans.

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

This evil is worse than this evil. Who cares? We don't need to be promoting either of them at Ipswich Town.

20. johnnywarksmoustache

Ipswich Town were owned by a family of Brewers for Christs sake!