1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tim Sherwood appointed manager

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Spudulike, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

It's official! Following the departure of Andre Villas-Boas, the Club can announce that Tim Sherwood has been appointed Head Coach with a contract to the end of the 2014/15 season.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/tim-sherwood-appointed-head-coach-231213/
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur

Chairman, Daniel Levy, said:

"We were extremely reluctant to make a change mid-season, but felt we had to do so in the Club's best interests. We have a great squad and we owe them a Head Coach who will bring out the best in them and allow them to flourish and enjoy a strong, exciting finish to the season. We are in the fortunate position of having within our Club a talented coach in Tim Sherwood. We believe Tim has both the knowledge and the drive to take the squad forward."

Chris Ramsey, Les Ferdinand and Steffen Freund complete the First Team Coaching set up.

I was personally looking forward to Christmas but now I think I'll just write it off this year. Thanks Daniel Levy for yet another year of instability and uncertainty. Just another days work at Spurs!

2. TillIDie

TillIDie Active Member

Hardly inspiring is it!!
    However the appointment has been made lets get fully behind him and the squad, we're still in a good position with two very winnable games (IMO) next
    Onwards and upwards COYS

3. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

A one and a half year contract?

Convincing stuff. <ok>

4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Spurcat :

I know the parrish. I have the sheep costume and gaffer tape.
    With the weather so dire NOW is the time for a coup at the Lodge !!!

5. Spudulike

"We were extremely reluctant to make a change mid-season, but felt we had to do so in the Club's best interests."

Direct translation&#8230;.

"We hastily sacked AVB due to a couple of bad results and had no idea who was going to replace him. After speaking to a few decent managers who were either unavailable or showed no interest in working under a tyrant, we realised we were fuk'd so the only option left was to give the job to Tim on a short term basis, covering our sorry arses whilst we work out what the hell we're going to do long term."

In the meantime, our inept, shambles of a Chairman still has a job. As with my predictions regarding AVB where my pessimism was fully justified, this will end badly.

6. Sir_Red

Sir_Red Well-Known Member

Poor choice by levy. Sacking AVB was his biggest mistake. At least give him the bloody season. You're only 6 points off first. What an arrogant ****e bag

7. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Sacking Harry was a bigger mistake.

AVB had to go imo, the style of football was awful, never seen so many bored people at WHL.

8. Sir_Red

Sir_Red Well-Known Member

No more dull than mourinhos style

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Mourinho didn't get beaten 5 and 6 nil, though. He also has lots of mates in the press that like to kiss his bottom, as he makes their job easier.

10. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Mourinho is a winner though.

AVB didnt seem to be learning, he just had 1 plan and that was it, he wouldn't adjust it when needed and also u would never see Mourinho slate Chelsea fans.

11. wasper

wasper Active Member

Once again you are out of the race. Tim will not get the 1.5 year , by next Xmas he will be sacked.

12. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

If managers are going to be judged on a game to game basis - as per Levy - Sherwood looks a cracking choice. The 4-4-2 at Soton with two proper strikers was inspired. It was a bit you attack, we attack, jumpers for goalposts at times, but a massive improvement on the previous tedium and a win and three goals at The Dell :huh: is always a very good result.

13. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

#feelingsorryforspursnotmuch

:D

14. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

That was the key point for me.

I would've almost accepted the hammerings if I had seen glimpses of improvement.

I could've almost happily written the season off and put it down to a transition season (seeing as we did sign nearly a whole new team), if I had seen glimpses of improvement.

But it just wasn't there - if you include cup games then AVB must've had about 25 games with the first team this season and yet there was no sign that he had identified any part of his first XI (other than Lloris and Walker for RB). The constant chopping and changing was what kept screwing the team over - few players ever got more than about 3 games in a row if that.

His inability to recognise the games where his plan A of 'high-line' defending would be a disaster was also his downfall. Playing that way against players like Suarez is nothing short of stupid and, as what happened to us, led to a hammering and his ultimate departure.

All things said and done though, I don't think Sherwood is the right choice but I've said as much elsewhere so I'll not repeat myself.

15. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Everybody seems to expect a big name manager. We've had lots of those Ramos, Hoddle, Graham, Santini, Ardiles.

Sherwood is just as likely to succeed as anyone IMO, is an experienced football head, knows Spurs, likes giving players their head, speaks the language, and wants the job.

Let's see what happens before we jump on a wagon of condemnation.

16. Spudulike

Sherwood's not the right choice. Neither was AVB, Ramos or Santini. Yet the same common denominator in all these appointments is still in a job - Daniel 'Dr. Evyl' Levy

Pretty sure you've said that about every recent appointment and look where it's ended up! Sooner or later, that fence you're sitting on will collapse.

17. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

In his favour - he knows the current set of players well so we instantly gain on not having to go through that period where the manager is learning everyone's name!

18. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I would say that about any new man, because I don't jump to conclusions based on air. I stuck with giving AVB a chance until I started to see what I thought were poor decisions and I became incresingly bored with his team. I didn't start as some did before he was appointed.

19. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

So the toe rag got the job. In a funny way this appointment has the making to unite all, as no one was crying out for Sherwood. No ' told you so' if he's a success and he has to win over the fans as he's no one's first choice. Apart from Levy!

So we just have to give him a chance and be open minded. Or we can moan every day until he's sacked! One positive is Tom Carroll will be in the team next year and our midfield creator...... If Sherwood lasts that long.

20. Spudulike

We weren't wrong though were we? It's not about jumping to conclusions, it's about common sense seeing he has zero&#8230; I'll repeat... zero managerial experience and an empty CV. I have no issue with Sherwood personally - can't blame the guy for wanting the job. It's our inept Chairman making these ludicrous managerial appointments I take issue with.