1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Tim Klose

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, May 2, 2019.

?

As title suggests

1. Renew

100.0%
  2. Release

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It doesn't make any difference, as an overage player in the last six months of his contract, he's been free to arrange a deal with whoever he likes since around the turn of the year.

It doesn't sound like he was short of options, but equally I think he feels like he has unfinished business with NCFC and the Premier League. It made sense to wait until promotion was secure and the financial picture clear.

2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Stats from the EDP on CB pairings:

please log in to view this image

Suggesting Klose and Zimmerman was our most effective combination at the back last season. As a proxy for how effectively we build from the back with each combo:

Klose & Zimm - av 1.87 teams goals scored per league game (30 in 16)
    Zimm & Godfrey - 2.21 (51 in 23)

Suggesting Godfrey is a better contributor to build-up play than Klose.

JM Fan and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

That's very interesting DH. It'll be a big step up to the PL for Godfrey, so I suspect that it's more likely to be Zimmo and Klose when the season starts as Klose has been there before and is comfortable on the left. There's also the 3 at the back possibility with Godfrey playing a CB/DM dual role.

canary-dave and JM Fan like this.
  5. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

I agree that Klose / Zimbo will be the starting pair but also feel that Godfrey will form part of a "back three" when we come up against some of the "bigger" clubs. I also see Godfrey as the possible DM starter and duking it out with Trybull/Tettey/McLean for that role.

JM Fan likes this.
  6. RiverEndRick

It's now clear that our defence will be much the same next season other than another RB coming in. Whilst it did well enough over the season the challenge next season will obviously be much tougher. We could take a Holloway approach or we can look at how the existing players could be used more efficiently, especially against the bigger teams and away from home. As OCF suggests that could be with three at the back with Godfrey moving up to DM when the ball is won and dropping back when it's lost.

7. canary on the weald

canary on the weald Active Member

He's a class player.keep definitely

8. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Given DF stuck with Godfrey last season I see no reason why he'll be dropped in favour of Klose for the start of next season. I realise it turns out Klose talked about having a knock but he was well enough to be a bench warmer while Godfrey kept his place. Pre-season might give DF more to think about but i'd be surprised if our first kick out isn't much the same as last season's set up. It's a long season and Klose will get his chance even if he's 3rd choice. I hope Hanley's up for a fight for a place too. That's an embarrassment of riches at CB when you think back just a few seasons.

oldcanariesfan and RiverEndRick like this.
  9. RiverEndRick

You could be right, HMQC (that makes you sound like an eminent legal personage), but it could depend on who we're playing and how players perform in the pre-season. Godfrey's height is less of a disadvantage in the PL, but his relative inexperience could be. The pressure will be much greater and nerves will be on edge, especially in away matches. He kept his place because we kept winning. That won't happen in the PL and the atmosphere won't be the same. Godfrey will play his share of matches, especially if we go with three at the back where he could be given a more flexible role, as I said above.

JM Fan likes this.