1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Vintage Chelsea Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by The Ginger Marks, Oct 2, 2017.

1. The Ginger Marks

About time we had another vintage Chelsea thread where we can share our memories of the past and everything Chelsea.

Please 'Care Free Wherever You may Be' to post your good, bad times or just plain nostalgia of our great club

please log in to view this image

My favourite Chelsea team ever...Thrills, spills and pure joy!

2. The Ginger Marks

Anybody remember when our away strip was Red shirts, white shorts & green socks?

3. chelsea - over 100 years of history

My vintage is probably different to yours Ginge. But loved the mid 90's when we started the ball rolling back towards a winning side. Some real flair sides started to emerge as well with the likes of Gullit, Zola, Di Matteo, Petrescu plus steel as well with Wise, Hughes etc.

A game that always strikes me as massive in the context of that period was coming from 2-0 down to beat Liverpool in an early fa cup round (4th round?). Went on to win the cup and then the cup winners cup the next year. Great days.

Bodinki likes this.
  4. The Ginger Marks

Yes! Great days those although I probably have the benefit of age here :) my memories allegedly go back further.

5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I was at that game.
    2-0 down at half time and we won 4-2.
    Also remember the 1-6 tonking we gave Spurs at White Hart Lane in 97/98 season when Flo scored a Hat trick.
    One of my favourite games I ever watched though was the Cup Winners Cup semi final against Vicenza, we were 1-0 down from the first leg away, then they came to the Bridge and scored, meaning we needed 3 goals to go through, Poyet, Hughes and Zola came through for us and we got the win. One of the few times I remember Zola scoring with his head.

6. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Great games. Also the 4-3 ding dong with Spurs at the Bridge with Stein scoring a late pen to win it.

The Ginger Marks and Bodinki like this.
  7. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I remember an awesome 4-3 win at Ewood Park too against Blackburn. (Back when Blackburn were good, this was only a couple of seasons after their title win I think).
    They were 3-2 up with 15 minutes left and Flo came on and scored a brace to get the win.

8. shedend59

shedend59 Active Member

What about
    Beating liverpool 2.0 in the fa cup in the 80s with Peter roades brown and that was when they were tops and us 2nd division

9. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

......sorry for being a computer games geek.....early to mid 1990s when we had the Commodore and Commodore Amiga shirt sponsorship. Real 'flair' shirt sponsorship for the discerning computer games addict of the era.

Bodinki likes this.
  10. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Watching Alan Hudson and Charlie Cooke rip and tear and Osgood just bang them in, that was something to see.
    Then Jimmy Floyd and Guidjohnsen fed by Zola, or Flo, like a giraffe with a lethal finish, too many good players to pick the best. Favourites? Hudson, Zola and Lampard, creators and scorers supreme.

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I had a Commodore Amiga 500 computer at the time as well. :)
    I still have a Commodore shirt, a Coors shirt, an Autoglass shirt and a Fly Emirates shirt in my closet :)

12. Bristol Blue

'Building Sights' from 1990 shows our Commodore sponsorship, a real good blast from the past. Enjoy......

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  13. shedend59

shedend59 Active Member

How many people saw that sight as they ran through Brompton cemetery

14. Bristol Blue

......and who here was on the pitch at the end of this game against Leeds? When the East Stand was a 'building site' and not a 'building sight'.....

15. shedend59

shedend59 Active Member

Wasn't on the pitch that day but made good 10 years later when they smashed the scoreboard and the whole west stand shedendAnd the old gate in the the North let them know where they were that day. Not that I condone that sort of thing ☺

Bristol Blue likes this.
  16. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Yep, mid 70's.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  17. shedend59

shedend59 Active Member

Do you remember villa away we ran the length of the pitch and put the zulus ( there name then) back in there stand . I know those days are gone and rightly so but we were good

18. Bristol Blue

I think the 'zulus' may have been Birmingham City, they used to wear Donkey Jackets to absorb body punches.

19. shedend59

shedend59 Active Member

You're right lost a bit of memory there but remember putting them back in there own end Midlands was always good away games . Do you remember the old go away go away with greenaway song .when Mickey used to organize the away tickets. This thread has brought me back to life even though I'm still a season ticket holder and still meet all the old chaps every home game. Bless you all

20. Bristol Blue

.....it's a different country now. My Grandad used to take me to football and he served in World War 2 in the army. What bothered him was not the fighting at Stamford Bridge but seeing teenage lads with long hair. That was the 1970s.