1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The var thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Aug 6, 2019.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I am willing to give it a chance. I’ve always said that. I’ve also always said from
    Before they ever used it, that the time should be limited. 10-20 seconds max. Anything longer is not clear and obvious and should stay with original decision. Some would still be missed/wrong but we’d also still get an improvement.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  2. fatletiss

I get you. :emoticon-0148-yes:

Plus Libby just doesn’t like it full stop :p

Libby likes this.
  3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Not an issue as such mate we're just different that's all, I'm the opposite and can't get my head round how it doesn't bother people when I feel utterly robbed of my favourite part of the game <ok>

Velcro Roy likes this.
  4. fatletiss

I was there SA and even though it wasn’t very long too wait for the decision on their disallowed goal, it was still too long. There wAs that period of oddness while we waited. With their players all lined up for a kick off (already having celebrated). We then had a period of nonsense with their crowd calling for VAR everything the balk went in our box.

I could list a few other examples, one that sticks in my mind was the Liverpool game against someone (Arsenal?) when there was a corner but everyone stood around waiting for a possible penalty decision to be reviewed. Just get on with the game and check within 10-20 seconds.

5. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I've not been to a live game where VAR has reversed one of our goals, so cant comment on how that feels. But scoring is the same as ever.

got a feeling it might be one of those things where you feel disappointed because you expect to be disappointed. I like VAR so don't have that expectation.

6. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's possibly why we're on the different sides of the VAR debate and why we may never agree*.

For me, I'm not robbed of that part of the game. As I say, I still get that rush of joy and elation. Seemingly I'm fortunate in that respect (which I didn't previously appreciate).

But yes, if I was someone who was sitting there, seeing Bertrand cross it for PEH to head home, and my first, immediate reaction was to think "oh, VAR review" whilst continuing to sit there, and then only three minutes is the goal confirmed, then absolutely the joy and elation wouldn't be there any longer. It would basically be a polite little applause, rather than a proper celebration. And yeah, that would be rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish.

As it is for me, that confirmation aspect of the VAR is basically just a new bolt-on (or a right kick in the teeth, if our goal is a disallowed!). Kind of a jokey, sarcastic, rub-it-in-the-face-of-the-opposition second celebration, without any real deep joy or feeling behind it. But with that first, natural, raw celebration of pure jubilation still having occurred.

*(That said, I do feel there are two completely different VAR argument. One is the above; the impact of VAR on people's feelings. The second is the
    implementation of VAR; how and when it is used etc. We may never agree on the first. But on the second, who knows.)

Libby likes this.
  7. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I’m still trying to work out what is more divisive, VAR or Brexit

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah we had one disallowed in my first live game at Leicester <laugh>

To be honest in the three I've attended I've generally found it's okay until it's used (for anything, not necessarily a goal) for the first time and then it's constantly on my mind. l haven't seen us score previous to any other var use yet.

Always feels like once there's been one that you'll get another shortly after and as fats alluded to earlier it gets a bit farcical with both sets of fans chanting for it for everything.

And yeah there's almost certainly some truth in your last paragraph. Though it's actually been worse than I thought as I didn't realise they would review every goal, so didn't give much thought to the aspect of it that has turned out to be the worst for me personally.

9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Decisive or Divisive?

It seems the issues caused by the decisions of both are causing division.

fatletiss and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  10. thereisonlyoneno7

Bloody predictive text

Saints_Alive likes this.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah that third paragraph sums up exactly how it feels for me, and you're probably right that that's something we'll never agree on.

Big part of it probably relates to you being a big cricket fan, so have long been used to that check being done for dramatic moments. Whereas football is the only sport I attend live so is a new experience completely.

I agree that there's two different debates with VAR, I've always been against it as a principle but am always happy to discuss the implementation which I still feel needs a lot of work and raises more questions than provides answers.

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

Var is a bit like Brexit imo, sounds a brilliant idea when using buzzwords such as 'remove the doubt' and saying 'a team will never be relegated by a poor decision again' to gather a cult/god like status.

But when you actually try to put it into practice you realise firstly, that the above is bollocks, and secondly that it's a **** idea which isn't really feasible.

:bandit:

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  13. thereisonlyoneno7

Yep VAR was meant to let us take control of our football once again....

Libby likes this.
  14. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Tell you what, let's give it 40 years of using it to see if we finally prefer it and then have a referendum about it. Fair enough?

15. thereisonlyoneno7

Added a word for you ;)

16. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Don't need it.

17. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hope you don't mind, but I've moved my reply onto the VAR thread.

This is actually something we can pretty much agree on. At the end of the day, a player is either onside or offside. Even if just by one millimetre. That can't really be debated. And nor do the PL have the power to change the offside law itself (eg back to the old "clear daylight" rule).

But it still comes to the PL as to how VAR is implemented in the PL. There's no reason why they couldn't decide to only use VAR to overturn offsides when, for example, the attacker has a whole foot beyond the last defender. (That's purely an example which I haven't put much thought into - the sentiment behind it is more what I am focusing on, ie that not every single offside necessarily has to be overturned by VAR. Instead, introduce a clear and obvious aspect to offside, like you say. They don't have to use VAR to overturn all incorrect offside calls - they are deciding that they will do that.)

Now if they ever come up with the technology which can give an instant offside decision, then great. All offside decisions become correct. But at the minute, spending three minutes trying to work out if someone is one millimetre offside is really not something I can particularly support.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  18. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Very much agree brendy. I am for VAR on the whole, cuts out driving, for pens, cheating and with everything on the line in football, jobs, money, reputation I am pleased that on the whole that fans from either side will go home with a fair result.

Like you I don't get why the offside parameters are set so tight. If it's that close, leave in with the onfield decision.

19. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry, but I disagree. If it's offside, it's offside regardless of whether you're a yard off or you're an inch off. You can't go with the on field decision as assistant's are told to keep their flag down when it's tight and let the technology do the rest.

VocalMinority likes this.
  20. fatletiss

Cutting out driving must surely be good for the environment too. :)