1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The RIP Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by durbar2003, Feb 3, 2016.

1. bunmahon_ranger

bunmahon_ranger Well-Known Member

They actually played at Harrow Boro fc when I was small...came back to the house for a piss up while I was sleeping upstairs...ahh the 70's...he was actually a very well respected musician despite the jokey image...rip

2. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

This one really makes me sad. I remember seeing Chas and Dave at the Spotted Dog in Neasden in about 1974. Great fun. Hodges was a proper musician though, having played with Jerry Lees Lewis and Gene Vincent as a session player. Top man.

RIP.

UTRs, QPR999, Ninj and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Posted this and clips on the music thread, he was certainly very talented...

Ninj, Didley Squat, kiwiqpr and 2 others like this.
  4. Sooperhoop

Well worth a watch...

UTRs and kiwiqpr like this.
  5. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

.carousel-container{display:none; }
    WWII code breaker buried in Nebraska with UK military honors
    Col. John Watters and his wife, Jean Watters, on their wedding day. Jean Watters, a codebreaker of German intelligence communications during WWII, was buried Monday, Sept. 24, 2018, in Nebraska with British military honors.
    AP
    By ASSOCIATED PRESS Published: September 25, 2018
    OMAHA, Neb. — A 92-year-old woman has been buried in Nebraska with British military honors for a secret that she held for decades: her World War II service as a code breaker of German intelligence communications.
    The Union Jack was draped over Jean Briggs Watters' casket during her burial Monday, the Omaha World-Herald reported. Watters died Sept. 15.
    The tribute honored Watters for her role decoding for a top-secret military program led by British mathematician Alan Turing, who was the subject of the 2014 Oscar-winning film "The Imitation Game ." Watters was among about 10,000 people, mostly women, who participated in the Allied effort to crack German communication codes throughout the war.
    please log in to view this image

Pallbearers move the casket of Jean Watters for her funeral at the Omaha National Cemetery in Omaha, Neb., on Sept. 24, 2018. Watters was part of the super-secret team that broke the German ENIGMA code during World War II.
    CHRIS MACHIAN/OMAHA WORLD-HERALD VIA AP
    She operated an electro-mechanical machine , known as a "bombe," to decipher signals the German armed forces sent out from its sophisticated Enigma encryption machines. The effort at Britain's famed codebreaking center, Bletchley Park, saved lives and helped bring an end to the war. But it was kept classified until the 1970s.

"She never told anyone," said Watters' son, Robin. "She was fully aware of the gravity of what she was doing. It was haunting to her, what might happen if she made a mistake."
    Jean Briggs Watters was 18 when she enlisted in the Women's Royal Naval Service. She had attended an art school in Cambridge, England, before joining the Allied war cause.
    article continues below

She met her husband, a U.S. Army Air Corps pilot named John Watters, during the war and they married soon after. She and her husband retired to the U.S. in 1969.
    Watters was placed Monday in a burial plot next to her husband, who died in June at age 101.
    "She had a seriousness, and a sense of duty," Robin Watters said. "She was a really special lady. But she was tough. She did the hard things."

Didley Squat, UTRs and Steelmonkey like this.
  6. Sooperhoop

7. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Jefferson Airplane's Marty Balin dies aged 76
    • 29 September 2018

Image copyrightWIREIMAGE
    Image captionMarty Balin was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996
    Marty Balin - the co-founder and vocalist-guitarist of the psychedelic rock band Jefferson Airplane - has died aged 76, his family and publicist say.

They did not specify the cause of death of the US musician.

Balin, real name Martyn Jerel Buchwal, found fame with the group in the 1960s with hits such as White Rabbit.

He left the San Francisco-based band in 1970 - but later got back together with some of its members under the name Jefferson Starship.

He was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
    Image captionMarty Balin co-founded Jefferson Airplane in 1965
    In Friday's statement, Marty Balin's family said: "Marty's fans describe him as having had a substantial impact for the better of the world: 'One of the greatest voices of all time, a writer of songs that will never fade, and founder of the quintessential San Francisco band of the sixties.'

"His music is known for being the soundtrack to all of life's monumental moments."

Jefferson Airplane formed in 1965 when folk artist Balin decided to create a rock group in response to the Beatles-led British Invasion.

The band quickly attracted a local following - and when fledgling promoter Bill Graham opened his legendary Fillmore Auditorium, Jefferson Airplane served as the first headliner.

Signed to RCA Records for the then-princely sum of $25,000, the band scored five gold albums in the US, including 1967's Surrealistic Pillow and 1968's Crown of Creation in their first run of success.

The band advocated sex, psychedelic drugs, rebellion and a communal lifestyle.

Paul Kantner, another co-founder of Jefferson Airplane, died in 2016.

UTRs, kiwiqpr and Goldhawk-Road like this.
  8. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

10. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

And Charles Aznavour on the same day!
    Mind you 94 is a decent age.

Uber_Hoop, QPR999 and ELLERS like this.

11. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

That's weird because when I was away in France a friend was talking about him. I didn't really know much about him other than the song 'she'

12. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

kiwiqpr, Uber_Hoop and QPR999 like this.
  13. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Uber_Hoop and UTRs like this.
  14. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

Marty Balin
    Otis Rush
    Jean Briggs Watters
    Charles Aznavour
    Geoffrey Hayes

RIP<peacedove><peacedove><rose><rose>

Ninj, ELLERS and Steelmonkey like this.
  15. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I used to read 2000AD, Valiant, Battle, Tornado and Action comics when they were around in the 1970s and 1980s. Carlos was a great illustrator for all of these titles during these times, but I must admit that I believed he had died years ago.

A great era for comics, those days. I still buy some of the hardback books where the old stories have been compiled into graphic novels.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  16. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I used to love Action with Hook Jaw and the Coffin sub.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  17. Uber_Hoop

I bought the Hook Jaw compilation earlier this year. They wouldn’t be allowed to dispense this stuff to kids these days, but I lapped it up back in the day.

18. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

bought one of the commando compilations recently
    i was 12 again for a while

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  19. Uber_Hoop

Yeah, got a few of those. Got all the Charley’s War and Johnny Red publications, plus Darkie’s Mob and One-Eyed Jack.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  20. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Cool where did you get that? The first few weeks of Hook Jaw were fab but then it got a bit silly. Who was the blond bloke always after him?