1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The RIP Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by durbar2003, Feb 3, 2016.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Only been around for forty plus years, after your time.

durbar2003 likes this.
  2. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I’ll be honest with you, The Fall and Mark E Smith kinda passed me by. Dunno why. Always a fan of so much of the so-called post-punk stuff, but The Fall never troubled my radar.

QPR999, durbar2003 and kiwiqpr like this.
  3. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Me too
    Heard of them
    just don't think i heard them

Wherever, durbar2003 and Uber_Hoop like this.
  4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

No one famous, just my Dad who died 40 years ago.

5. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fair play strolls keep the memories.

Stroller likes this.
  6. Uber_Hoop

God bless you, Strolls. Lost my father 3 months ago (and lots of fallout - nothing like a death in the family to bring out the worst in people) and am sure that if I survive another 40 years I’ll still miss the irascible old cuss.

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

To be honest I love the idea of the Fall, but a lot of their stuff is almost unlistenable, repetitive rockabilly riffs with shouted obscure rants over the top. Until the irritation becomes hypnotic fascination and something clicks. Totally pure, not done for money or fame. It’s odder to get it than not to get it, and I only get it some of the time. Mark E Smith was a genius but also seemed to be a complete ****, one of those heroes you really don’t ever want to meet. The fact that they existed and survived, despite the fact that probably the vast majority of people would be bewildered, offended and threatened by them, speaks volumes about this country in an odd kind of way.

WBA2_QPR3, Wherever, Ninj and 2 others like this.
  8. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Thank you. You never get over it, really. Commiserations.

Ninj and Uber_Hoop like this.
  9. Uber_Hoop

Totally agree. Irrespective of your political livery, a country that has produced the likes of Morrissey, Lydon or Bragg can’t be all bad.

WBA2_QPR3, Steelmonkey and sb_73 like this.
  10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

10 years ago next month for my old man. Still think about him every day. Which is as it should be.

11. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Exactly the same here Ubes. I knew the band's name and I had heard of Mark. E. Smith but couldn't recall one of their songs. I googled them to see if I could pull up one of those aha moments ... oh yes it's them, I didn't realise. But to no avail. Odd looking chap, not that lends any weight or means anything. Danny Baker likened him to Bowie in how he transcended generations? RIP Mark E Smith.

sb_73, Uber_Hoop, Ninj and 2 others like this.
  12. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

The Fall were never particularly radio-friendly, which is probably why they didn't appeal to the masses, but they are very highly thought of within the industry. John Peel was once asked to stand-in for one of the daytime DJs on Radio 1 and only did it on the condition that he could play a couple of Fall songs every hour!

Mark E Smith was a one-of-a-kind, an eccentric man who was also a poetic genius - his music wasn't easy to listen too, but if you persevered with his oddities there was a "Eureka" moment where it all suddenly made sense - his lyrics were deeply acerbic, funny and sometimes brutally honest. The Fall have been cited as major influences on a plethora of bands since their inception - although not as easily accesible as say Joy Division or The Smiths, they came from a similar dark working class background, and Mark E Smith never wavered from that (unlike Morrissey who, although also a lyrical genius, is so far up his own arse!). Apparently very difficult to work with, having gone through over 60 members of his band - famously sacking a member of his crew because they were eating a salad! He came across in interviews as witty and gruff but with an acid sense of humour. He will be missed - RIP Mark E Smith <rose>

kiwiqpr, Wherever, Uber_Hoop and 2 others like this.
  13. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

To be honest nines the Fall were the same for me. Not radio friendly but one of those bands hip DJ's love to name check. I did once however many many years ago buy a copy of the NME with a cassette compilation which I can remember to this day with one of their songs 'Rowche Rumble' on it. Slightly disjointed but back then it seemed quite thrilling, in a middle class NW London way. Manchester was always revered from afar due to the Smiths and New Order.

Nowhere near the Damned the Clash for me to warrant this sort of coverage, but a passing nonetheless as my youth slowly evaporates

RIP Mark E Smith and I guess by default the Fall also

sb_73, Wherever, Uber_Hoop and 2 others like this.
  14. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Nice replies lads, thank you. I'm going to give The Fall a listen over the next week to see if I can get them. Of course access to music is much easier nowadays with Spotify and Sonos speakers thankfully.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  15. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Some posters on here may recall Stacey Young who was mainly known as a model who appeared in loads of 80's pop videos. She also appeared in the tabloids as Eddie the Kidd's girlfriend before she married Paul Young. She died yesterday aged 52 from brain cancer.

please log in to view this image

kiwiqpr and Uber_Hoop like this.
  16. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

I also vaguely recall Mark E Smith's American ex wife Brix shacked up with 'mad' Villa violinist Nigel Kennedy in one of those weird vague celeb couplings - think Shane Warne /Liz Hurley

That's my complete knowledge of the Fall done and dusted

kiwiqpr and Uber_Hoop like this.
  17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

This will give you a flavour of Smith, in ‘conversation’with Shane MacGowan and Nick Cave. Very intelligent and equally belligerent. According to MacGowan he was out of his head on ecstasy and booze, Smith was pissed on bitter, Cave was sober just having come out of rehab and Cave wound the other two up to have a go at each other, which doesn’t come across from the transcript.

http://thequietus.com/articles/09277-mark-e-smith-nick-cave-shane-macgowan-nme-interview

Almost everything you read paints Smith as a very bright, verbally and physically aggressive nutter, constantly on the wind up, looking for a fight and more than happy to have one. Rumours that his death was a least partly due to problems breathing through having his jaw and teeth busted so often, but a lifetime of alcohol and speed abuse probably didn't help. But John Cooper Clarke claims whenever he met him he was very polite and civil.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  18. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I remember her mate. Such sad news. Mr's Ellers has literally just told me. RIP

QPR999 likes this.
  19. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Steelmonkey and Uber_Hoop like this.
  20. danishqp

danishqp Well-Known Member

Had the privilige of reporting to his youngest son Mathias where we did a turnaround of IKEA Denmark. Lovely people, Ingvar himself was a hugger who was into every detail and no member of staff to lowly to speak to.
    With his Billions he still prefered his 20 year old Volvo.
    The top execs in Belgium (where the real HQ was) would be tipped off the day before he was coming so that they would drive in to work in their au pairs' cars instead of their Mercs and BMWs - he hated excess.

His mantra was simple - Find the competitive edge with cost consciousness.

Not sure we get to see this like again.

Hoop-Leif, sb_73, SW Ranger and 2 others like this.