1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Review Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, May 27, 2017.

1. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

They’ve set it up nicely mate

Steelmonkey likes this.
  2. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

Film on Netflix - The Devil All The Time. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

3. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

I'd normally leave this for the music thread, but today I've received the new IDLES album on vinyl, a day before official release. We've just sat around the record player (me, the mrs, jnr and his girlfriend) and listened to it - it's absolutely brilliant.

It won't be to everyones taste, full of anger at the state of the nation, heavy riffs, hard drums and snarling vocals. Some very cutting lyrics, taking snipes at those who are responsible for the mess we are in, both economically and morally.

They are a band whose live shows are something special to be witnessed - I've seen them a couple of times and have tickets to hopefully see them next year. Everyone seems to be having the time of their lives, massive mosh pits full of people of all ages (even you'd fit in Stan!), and although the pit is jumping, there's not the air of aggression you sometimes associate with this genre of music.

Only a few tracks have been pre-released on YouTube, but have a look - and tomorrow the full album will be available on streaming services.....enjoy!!!

kiwiqpr and sb_73 like this.
  4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53989276

I think I have to see them live, because this interview makes them seem a bit pretentious and sanctimonious. Not young lads either, put in a long apprenticeship. Direct line from Crass it seems to me.

Just had a listen to War. It’s a cracking noise.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Steelmonkey likes this.
  5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Outstanding documentary featuring Toots Hibbert on BBC4 now. Definitely worth a catch up on iPlayer.

Now showing his set from Glastonbury in 2010. Watching with the lad who has just rolled in from somewhere or other. Quite chuffed as he says Toots and the Maytals was the first stuff he actually bought with his Christmas Apple gift cards, because I’d indoctrinated him from the cradle.

Then he tells me he saw Toots play at the Assembly Rooms in Leamington about three years ago, and the little bastard didn’t even tell me he was playing. Ingrate.

Man, Toots had a great voice, right up there with the soul legends.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Stroller, Steelmonkey and Staines R's like this.
  6. Steelmonkey

I've listened to this all week, and still love every second of it. Recommend listening to Reigns if you liked War...it's the dirtiest sax you've ever heard, I love it! May be some won't like the lyrics though!

As for live, there's some great footage on YouTube, including a large part of their set from Glastonbury last year...

sb_73 and kiwiqpr like this.
  7. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Good to see you back Steels.

kiwiqpr, sb_73 and Steelmonkey like this.
  8. Steelmonkey

Cheers SW, just needed some time away :emoticon-0148-yes:

9. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Me and the Mrs watched a film on Sky called 'The Good Liar'. Mrs Nines wanted to give up halfway through, I said to stick with it, it's how they want you to make you feel. It's a good film It stars Ian McKelllen and Helen Mirren. Two great actors.

sb_73 likes this.
  10. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Got to love Helen Mirren.

QPR999 likes this.

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Although I’ve grown incredibly fussy as I age I’ve reached the conclusion that there is just too much stuff to watch, listen to, see, visit and read.

I’m going to have to start prioritising.

12. Steelmonkey

Most of the stuff recommended on here that I've watched/listened to has been pretty bloody good I'd say, so we must either all have similar tastes, be good judges or all totally clueless!

13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

This is on in the background as we prepare to take the dog out now this incessant rain has stopped, and it doesn’t seem to have improved at all.

Hollander, who like you I am programmed to like, took a further step back with his Day in the Life piece in the Sunday Times magazine today. Came across as a real twat, trying to be clever. What a shame.

14. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

My wife has persisted with this thing, much to my annoyance. I hated it after fifteen minutes, but she wanted to see how it panned out. This means that it's been on in the background whilst I resort to playing online poker. Just a lot of annoying, unsympathetic characters (all of them) spouting unreal dialogue.

Having started late, I've been catching up on earlier episodes of the Mortimer and Whitehouse fishing thing. The best thing on TV at the moment.

sb_73 likes this.
  15. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

As an antidote to Us, indeed as an antidote to all linear thinking, I highly recommend the David Lynch Theatre channel on YouTube. Glorious. Includes 147 separate weather forecasts from Los Angeles, direct from Mr Lynch, and 50 less than a minute long films were David picks the number of the day from a jar containing ten balls with 1-10 written on them.

Today’s number is 2.

Or Naomi Watts voicing a human sized grotesque rabbit.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DAVIDLYNCHTHEATER

16. Steelmonkey

It's that bad? Thank **** I watched Murder on the Orient Express last night - bit overly flashy with a top cast but I'd totally forgotten the story so figuring it out was a bit of fun, until I twigged what was going on!

17. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

You’re really not selling ‘Us’ to me very much and it’s way down the list on my playlist.
    I even watched the 3 parter on the murders of Dr Harold Shipman before it. Though from a medical view I found that rather interesting

sb_73 likes this.
  18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

The David Lynch channel is genuinely brilliant though, if you like a twisted view on reality.

Staines R's likes this.
  19. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

Is he taking the pi55 ? It’s just random crap as far as I can see.

UxbR likes this.
  20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I think he’s an acquired taste.