1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Review Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, May 27, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I've been to The Gaucho Grill in the O2 and it was excellent. Best steak I've had was a 'Tournedos' in Barcelona at this historic restaurant ...

http://www.loscaracoles.es/index.php?lang=en

Highly recommended if you're ever in Barca.

2. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

The stakes in France taste a bit horsey.

3. Lawrence Jacoby

Lawrence Jacoby Well-Known Member

The stakes in France are the same as the ones in the U.K they both taste of wood, metal or newer tech materials like nylon

If you order horse it tastes of horse anyway you go

The steak I had tonight was good but I remain that the U.K. restaurant industry is exactly that ... an industry

In France when I am it’s a craft

durbar2003 and sb_73 like this.
  4. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Ten in total, I believe. Fascinating series.

KooPeeArr likes this.
  5. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

What about the French restaurants in London such as L'Escargot, Brasserie Zédel, Mon Plaisir and La Dame de Pic? Are they industries or do they proffer a craft?

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  6. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Is their role to proffer a craft, or craft a profiterole? :)

Wherever and QPR999 like this.
  7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Best thing about British eating out is the stunning variety, you can get just about anything you fancy and pretty easily even in a medium sized town. Better than the US for this in my view. Worst thing about both is the excessive number of chain restaurants, which certainly are industries.

But the best thing about food in general is the diversity, it’s one of the things that makes travel such a joy.

If I was forced to eat one cuisine in one place for the rest of my life it would be Italian in Italy, where quality is king, except in the tourist only places in Rome, Florence and Venice. Just eat where the locals do.

If I was forced to eat in just one restaurant for the rest of my life it would be Eataly Chicago, but that’s a bit of a cheat because it’s got about five restaurants, as well as a proper Italian bar, gelateria, panino place etc etc in it.

https://www.eataly.com/us_en/stores/chicago/chicago-restaurants/

But within a few days I would be prepared to kill someone for a curry, or a home cooked roast.

I’ve had horse, ordered by mistake, it’s fine, very lean. I’ve had goats kid brains for the same reason, less fine but edible smothered in spicy salsa and stuffed in a tortilla.

8. Lawrence Jacoby

Few and far between imo and themselves part of the industry
    My point i suppose is where I live I can walk to two restaurants in France eat very good food. If I get into my car and look to travel say 10km then I have 5/6 top places to choose from

If there is a downside then it would time as it’s all over by 9pm. If I go into Spain then it doesn’t start before 9pm

Here’s a few of simple locals I visit. For the foodies on here

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...rs_D_Olargues-Olargues_Herault_Occitanie.html

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...ia-St_Gervais_sur_Mare_Herault_Occitanie.html

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...berge_de_Combes-Combes_Herault_Occitanie.html

9. Lawrence Jacoby

I have also eaten the worse food in my life in France Cold chicken blood pancake comes to mind

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I had chicken soup from a street stall in Canton where the chicken’s head floated to the top on the second spoonful. Chinese and Japanese food hugely overrated in my view - can be great but I wouldn’t want to live on it given a choice. Same for Scandinavian and German/Eastern European.

11. Lawrence Jacoby

Yep I reckon we all have had some nasties and please don’t think I eat well all the time. I am honestly happier with my weekly trip to Macdonalds which I look forward to when I pick up supplies
    My bakery is my main source of nutrition each day as the French bread is very moorish plus the striking woman who owes it often dusts her wonderful breasts with flour
    Those two things plus a couple of kilos of English cheese does me
    Say that as I am just about to go to Tesco’s and buy some to take on Wed back to France

12. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

why not eat at a proper British restaurant if you are willing to pay that rather than a Argentina chain

13. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

So you like McDonald's and buy your cheese a Tesco, that sets you up as a food critic

kiwiqpr and Uber_Hoop like this.
  14. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Just watched the first episode - very enlightening, looks like it could turn out to be a fascinating series. An uncle of mine who lives in Sydney served over there during the war, and has often spoken candidly about some of the things they saw. For some reason, he's now a bit of a racist bastard against the immigrants from that region who are now flooding Australia!!

kiwiqpr likes this.
  15. durbar2003

Sorry. Steaks

16. durbar2003

Eataly here in NY and other places (a chain). Unfortunately it overlooks the World Trade Center site, not a good view to dine over.

17. Lawrence Jacoby

Because that was a first and last

18. Lawrence Jacoby

No I’m a critic of everything

kiwiqpr and sb_73 like this.
  19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Anybody seen the new Blade Runner film? I’ve heard it looks great but isn’t up to much. I loved the original, but mainly because of the epic performance of Rutger Hauer, who of course can’t be in this one. I only recently discovered that he wrote the final monologue of his character.

20. Lawrence Jacoby

Lost a bit of faith in follow on stories of stories as the last Alien film seemed to have better tech as was a prequel ?

I liked Bladerunner as it set the tone for sure but I will wait until it comes onto Apple TV then it looks like a renter to me

Hollywood needs something new and big and very fast. I am hoping that maybe the Justin Cronin trilogy may do that or we will face just watching the same stories